IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

Homage to the arcade version.

And only for those who worked at arcades and actually saw that stuff. :D

Lots of arcade games would give you 1 credit when you un/replugged it into the wall. We used to do this at one of my local arcades.

Cheater! It's the lake of fire for you! Good little boys and girls never tug the plug! :D

• Like 2

The early Donkey Kong machines allowed you to slip a flattened drinking straw along the edge of the coin door and rack up free credits.

Lots of machines would take "slugs" too, the little circular cutouts from Electrical Junction boxes. They were almost exactly the same weight and dimensions as a US Quarter.

The early Donkey Kong machines allowed you to slip a flattened drinking straw along the edge of the coin door and rack up free credits.

Lots of machines would take "slugs" too, the little circular cutouts from Electrical Junction boxes. They were almost exactly the same weight and dimensions as a US Quarter.

I remember punks at the local candlepin bowling alley figured out a way to make games run on 5¢ - that worked great for a week before the owner pulled all the games from alley out. :(

And people wonder why there are no more arcades anywhere...

I don't.

Back then the hardware in the arcades exceeded the hardware in the homes. Nowadays the hardware in the homes exceed the hardware used in arcade games - how many arcade games have you seen that are displaying at 1920x1080?

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine who repairs arcade games told me the new machines use a calibration coin and uses the magnetic signature to validate the coin, allowing operators to make up tokens or anything else to use as credit. My how new technology can really suck sometimes!:)

Chris

And people wonder why there are no more arcades anywhere...

It wasn't due to being ripped-off on occasion. It's widely due to complaints from pressure groups that arcades increase delinquency and/or truancy.

Nah.

It was just that the quality of home video games, both graphickly and story-wise, quickly equaled and then surpassed that of Arcade games in the 1990's.

The Sega Genesis/SNES era started the downfall of the arcades, and The Playstation/N64 era just plain killed them altogther.

Who wants to go drop $1.00 per game in Afterburner at an arcade, when you can plug the cart into your Genesis and hit reset as many times as you like?

Edited by Underball
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Man, so many of those dumb tricks to get free credits on machines never worked. I tried all sorts of stuff, and none of it worked.

I was usually pretty lucky though when it came to free credits on machines...almost every visit to the arcade meant at least one free game! It was uncanny.

I remember making this mistake early on with the 50 cent games...you had to drop both coins in the same slot to register the proper credits, but as a kid I figured "there two slots, I guess I drop one in each!"...the sadness.

• Haha 1

I was usually pretty lucky though when it came to free credits on machines...almost every visit to the arcade meant at least one free game! It was uncanny.

At the time I was a 6 years and older, our neighbour was the guy responsible for repairing all arcade games within 50-70 kilometers. Not only did he always have half a dozen Arcade machines in his cellar which I could often play, he was cool enough to take me ocassionally with him on Saturdays repair duties, where he'd set machines to free play for me while repairing others. Oh happy days! :D

Who wants to go drop $1.00 per game in Afterburner at an arcade, when you can plug the cart into your Genesis and hit reset as many times as you like?

A dollar is a bit much, considering arcades had it for 25 or 50 cents. Genesis couldn't do scaling, so the experience with After Burner II was not the same. Genesis version is a good port, but it's not arcade perfect, nor does it provide a neat cabinet with a moving seat.

• 9 years later...

Thanks! I believe the link in this forum is the final version; are the ROMs different for each? It's been a while (13 years lol) but I think if I would have made a change to the final ROM I would have posted it in this thread, but I would have to confirm. Either way, they're probably either the same ROM or 99% the same. :) The *final* ROM is certainly on the carts sold through the AA store. ;)

• Like 2

are the ROMs different for each

MD5's are different, from the topic on Aug 27, 2006:

post-3056-0-04416400-1558558940_thumb.png

From software page. The files in Zip are dated Dec 30, 2008, plus there's additional game details in Stella for this MD5, so it's most likely the final version.

post-3056-0-43422200-1558558944_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, johnnywc said:

Thanks! I believe the link in this forum is the final version; are the ROMs different for each? It's been a while (13 years lol) but I think if I would have made a change to the final ROM I would have posted it in this thread, but I would have to confirm. Either way, they're probably either the same ROM or 99% the same. :) The *final* ROM is certainly on the carts sold through the AA store. ;)

Is there an electronic manual posted somewhere?  I've looked and I cannot find one posted.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had the original Lady Bug crash? Was playing a couple games fine and now it loops or when I hit fire to play it plays fine for a moment and then crashes and makes a single tone and sometimes a colored screen in the attached video. It's like it's having issues maintaining scan line and then a crash. I've had it for a few months with no issue, running other games through my system and so far so good. Was hoping it wasn't my system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L2NWsoPNnQWz6ixgwACAET1Ldg1jsoFi/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L4rt48LgYyjXgO9n6lvoVMl-57F3omTy/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk