IGNORED

Pacman4K

DEBRO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just tried this version, and it occured to me that at least 2 of the energizers are in the wrong places. In my opinion the energizers need to be 1 pill lower than they are currently in order to approximate their arrangement in the arcade. I know that for the upper energizers it's a tough call since in the arcade they actually are in the middle of the three pills between the upper row and the row below it, but I'd go with the 5200 version here, which has the energizer in the lower of the 2 positions between those rows, not in the upper one.

I just tried this version, and it occured to me that at least 2 of the energizers are in the wrong places. In my opinion the energizers need to be 1 pill lower than they are currently in order to approximate their arrangement in the arcade. I know that for the upper energizers it's a tough call since in the arcade they actually are in the middle of the three pills between the upper row and the row below it, but I'd go with the 5200 version here, which has the energizer in the lower of the 2 positions between those rows, not in the upper one.

That never occurred to me either. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to have to change that.

• Like 1

That never occurred to me either. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm going to have to change that.

The first post has the final builds with this change. Took all of 2 minutes to change. This would be a good example of why it's better to use constants instead of "magic numbers" in your code. Two changes to the energizer position constants and done :)

• Like 1

The first post has the final builds with this change. Took all of 2 minutes to change. This would be a good example of why it's better to use constants instead of "magic numbers" in your code. Two changes to the energizer position constants and done :)

You are my hero! :D

OK. I tested it again, and the energizer positions are fine now. I just noticed something else... the interruption, along with the sound when you eat a ghost seems to be shorter than in the arcade. The sound playing while this delay is taking place also doesn't go up far enough. So I'd suggest lengthening the delay and stopping the sound at a higher note while not changing the rate it's going up by each frame. I don't know if that's possible or if it maybe interferes with the sound of the fruit being eaten, since right now both sounds seem to be the same. So this suggestion maybe only works in the 8K version... but maybe it would be possible to lengthen only the delay, without lengthening the sound? However, if you have the delay set up to simply wait for the end of the sound, if probably won't work this way...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it now sounds and looks better. As I suspected, the sound for eating a monster and a fruit are the same. What occurs to me now is that while the fruit eating sound has about the correct pitch (but actually should go first down, then back up), the pitch of the sound of eating a monster is too low... it should be about the same pitch as the "siren" and the sound that plays while the eyes return to the house. Actually, I think a reversed version of the eyes returning sound would be a good idea here. Of course, that's not really feasible as long as the monster and fruit eating sounds are the same. That's why I said it'd probably be a request for the 8K version. But from the delay standpoint, it's definitely better now.

Hi there,
but maybe it would be possible to lengthen only the delay, without lengthening the sound? However, if you have the delay set up to simply wait for the end of the sound, if probably won't work this way...

Try this one. I would have posted to the first post but I couldn't edit it.

Now I have to add my little graphics modifications into the new version. :)

post-4682-1229132685_thumb.png

(rounder PacMan, 5200 style ghosts, no round corners)

I still agree with the 5200 ghosts. As much as putting more details likens it more to the original's form, there just aren't enough pixels and colors available to finish the deed. No discredit to those who were involved in trying to make this part emulate the arcade (i think it was zylonbane), but these little guys end up looking more like raccoons than ghosts. ;)

I still agree with the 5200 ghosts. As much as putting more details likens it more to the original's form, there just aren't enough pixels and colors available to finish the deed. No discredit to those who were involved in trying to make this part emulate the arcade (i think it was zylonbane), but these little guys end up looking more like raccoons than ghosts. ;)

I have to respectfully disagree. The 5200 ghosts in this port, looks like...well...the ghosts ripped from the 5200 port of Pac-Man and place into this one - It gives it more of a "hacked" look to me.

I think the 'non-5200' ghosts in this port look great and are a part of this 2600 port's personality and style.

Just my 2 cents.

-Trebor

The 5200 ghosts in this port, looks like...well...the ghosts ripped from the 5200 port of Pac-Man and place into this one - It gives it more of a "hacked" look to me.

This "5200 style" ghost are inspired by the 5200 version but they are not the same. I made them without looking at the originals but i liked the the simple design of the eyes. In the other designs, the white in the eyes of the original ghosts turn black, so they are not really eyes. But it's not important – this version (with the old code) only exists on my PM4K cart.