IGNORED

The Neo Geo Pocket

Lord Thag

I just picked one of these up with ten games on ebay. Man, this little system kicks some serious tail! The controls are absolutely the best I've ever used on a portable, and the games are just great. I mean, I have yet to play one that isn't an 8 or higher on a scale of 1-10. The fighting games play amazingly well, the RPGs are very fun. Ditto the puzzle games, and TWO 40 level metal slug games? How about *40* hours on a set of AA batteries? This system should have owned back in the late nineties.

The thing still has decent graphics too. It's almost a GBA.

How the heck did I miss this thing when it came out?

Anyone else around here have/like one of these? If you don't have one, go hit ebay. $60 nabs a new unit and 7 games. They're cheap and (no kidding) I'm playing mine as much as my DS.

I just love it when I discover a new system :cool:

I have TWO. Once ocean blue, one platinum silver.

My game selection is a tad lacking. CardFighters(SNK version), Biomotor Unitron, PacMan, BustAMove, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Puzzle Link.

But they ARE all grade A titles.

HAd SNK not folded, and had certain retailers *cough*MalWart*cough* chosen to carry GAMES for the system instead of just systems, it could've done damage to the 8-bit GameBoys, possibly even held it's own against the Advance(not likely though, given the US market. Advance decimated it in the graphics department).

I have one, in "Crystal Yellow", or as I like to call it, "Pee". I love it, though :)

The later Japanese ones (which is what I have) were slightly smaller than the American systems and came in funkier colors.

I always thought it was a great system, though, but I never bought a lot of games for it. I did play Puyo Puyo 2 and King of Fighters R2 a whole bunch, though.

Probably the best thing about the system (other than the great controls) is the 40 hour battery life! No system today even comes close to that.

I have two of them. I have the Color and the Black and White version. I really enjoy playing mu Color. I especially like the long battery life.

On a side note, I bought a few games and they don't seem to work on my Color version. Does anyone know if there is a difference in games? As in playing them in the two types of systems.

AFAIK, all b/w Neo Geo Pocket titles should work in the NGPC...

I love my NGPC, though I'm miffed that I paid so much for it. When it was originally on the market, I read online that SNK was pulling out of the US market, and was recalling all extant unsold systems and games. I drove to the nearest Electronics Boutique, plunked down full price for a Sonic pack-in set and 5 or 6 titles: Gals Fighter, Shanghai Mini, Dark Arms, Biomotor Unitron, Card Fighters Clash. Oddly, that last title is one I never got the hang of- it's the one I see most uniformly praised years later.

Does the clicking of the joystick bother you? That's a negative I see for that system in that on a plane or near other people, the sound may be bothersome. The system and games look nice though. Also, does anyone use the Nyko worm light - how is it?

Thanks,

RG

1004146[/snapback]

I don;t mind the clicking.

I have a worm light. Don't use it much, as it requires you to use the (cumbersome)battery pack it came with.

Great system hampered by a small library skewed towards fighters and golf games. The two Metal Slugs, Card Fighters, Sonic are fantastic games but the fighters like SNK v. Capcam Match of the Milllenium and King of Fighters absolutely rock especially due to the thumbstick. I also like Falselei! but it has limited replay value. The 40 hour bright colored but not back lit screen is just awsome. It was superior and one magazine said it wa the greatest failed system of all time but it never stood a chance against the GBA.

Have 2 of them - light blue and dark blue.

Got a bunch of games - with boxes and manuals.

Got the flash card and linker too. I did a couple simple game conversions, a couple of demos, and added a few routines to the C framework.

It's a lot of fun. I don't mind the clicking - I have no problem telling if I'm pressing it horizontal, vertical, or diagonal as I do with some controls.

I get too much glare/reflections from any of the cheapy lights for it, but it is viewable in more situations than the unlit GBC or GBA systems.

I don't care much for them pulling all the unsold product back, then releasing it in system+cartridge bundles (without instructions) years later.

Got mine at a thrift in box with 2 sealed games for....get this.....5 bucks! I love it!

NGPC is the blue cammo.

Fav. games are Bust a Move, Shanghai and Sonic. I have Puzzle de Pon too. Apparently I am not bright enough to enjoy that.

I have always loved NG products. I have my MVS still (sold my NGCD as I could eat dinner while it was loading) and several AES arcades out on location. Good stuff. It is a shame they did not get more of a market share, but that is the way of classic games....the best get overlooked sometimes.

Cassidy

NGPC blows the PSP and DS out of the water.

1007585[/snapback]

You're entitled to your opinion, but that seems like strong exaggeration. Since I own all three...

1. NGPC: Great (if small) library of US titles (+ imports work), comfortable to hold. Issues - screen is backlit and hard to see, joystick nub seems absurd at times, no new games (dead system).

2. PSP: Decent (and growing) library of US titles (+ imports work), comfortable to hold, very large and well lit screen. Can support emulation under certain conditions, does support video playback and MP3's, plus special format movies. Issues - firmware upgrades block hacking and emulation but are required to play new games and movies.

3. DS: Very good (and growing) library of US titles (don't know if imports work). Dual screen concept is innovative, some developers use it well. Touch screen is also innovative. Free online gaming supported out of the box. Issues - hard to hold over long periods. Not all routers compatible with online gaming. Some developers abuse or outright misuse the touch screen.

I'd say under those circumstances you could make a case for either the DS or PSP being #1. NGPC is not in their league and quite frankly under some circumstances you could even argue the Game Gear or TurboExpress would eat it for lunch. I didn't even post an evaluation of the Advance but considering new titles are still being made and the SP and Micro are both well lit and portably excellent, they could probably serve the NGPC an ass-whipping too.

NGPC blows the PSP and DS out of the water.

1007585[/snapback]

You're entitled to your opinion, but that seems like strong exaggeration. Since I own all three...

1. NGPC: Great (if small) library of US titles (+ imports work), comfortable to hold. Issues - screen is backlit and hard to see, joystick nub seems absurd at times, no new games (dead system).

1007618[/snapback]

screen is Backlit? I'm pretty sure none of the NGPC were backlit and the only company i've seen doing a mod to put in a light kit was mashmods.

And if you typo'd and meant to put screen is unlit and hard to see, then your wrong again. The NeoGeo pocket has the best and easiest to see non lit screen of any system without a light. It surpases the GP32 NLU and the original Gameboy advance by far.

Edited by JagFan422

I remember seing on the back of the box that it said backlit screen, but I couldn't tell once I turned it on

1008065[/snapback]

Any box that said that lied.

Both of mine say "reflecting TFT-format LCD allows playing in both bright and dim lights."

I remember seing on the back of the box that it said backlit screen, but I couldn't tell once I turned it on

1008065[/snapback]

Any box that said that lied.

Both of mine say "reflecting TFT-format LCD allows playing in both bright and dim lights."

1008151[/snapback]

Guess I just remember it wrong.