IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

So I take it you don't use cartridges much, since all access to cartridge ports seems to be blocked.  :ponder:

Is that Amdex monitor just composite, or can it display chroma/lumina-S-video? I always wanted an Amdex monitor back int he day, but just used a 13 inch T.V. By the time I finally got monitors for my 8-bits, it was and old Apple composite and a Commodore 1084S. but the Apple monitor is on it's last leg (color distortion) and I'm thinking of trying ot replace it with an Amdex like yours. Assuming I can find one...

All of the computers were pulled out for that picture. If the ones not in use are tucked back under the shelves, there is enough room to access the cartridge ports.

Unfortunately the Amdek monitor is composite only but it is a nice monitor. Actually I would consider parting with that one, I have another commodore monitor to put in it's place, and I'm short on storage space these days. I'm not sure I relish trying to ship that thing though. If you are interested, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

So thats what a Quintopus looks like.  I thought the MPP/Supra Micronet was just a modem and was not paying to much attention.

So using a Parallel port switch would be overkill and not really necessary?  Will there be complications with putting 2 or more computers in the SIO chain and switching it via pin 8 and 10?  I was thinking of sharing 2 different SIO chains to 3 computers.

1018895[/snapback]

That should be possible. The manual for the quintopus is available at the CORRECTED link:

http://www.nleaudio.com/css/products/quintopus.htm

According to it, you can have multiple computers connected to the switched ports as long as only one of the ports is enabled at a time. I have never used it in this configuration.

1019086[/snapback]

Isn't it pins 10 and 7 though, that should be connected to the switch? By my references, pin 10 is +5 volt/ready and pin 7 is Command. Pin 8 is Motor Control.

This is an issue I'm also dealing with right now. I'm swithching SIO cable between the XL and XE, and I had bought a couple extra SIO cables and was going to make a two-way splice with a DPDT switch on it. But then I spotted the APE-link kits (not to be in anyway confused with A.P.E. software) in the Best Electronics catalog. I ordered two of them, becuase I also have problems with my 410&1010 loading tapes properly when plugged into the end of the SIO chain; to many devices to go through, plus I have other devices that are dead-ends too. The APE-link is a little board, case, 3 SIO ports and instructions. It's really meant to just give extra SIO ports, but I intend to install a switch in one of them to use with my XL and XE. Of course the switch part isn't in the instructions or design of the APE-link, I'm adding that myself. But it's a good kit to add too, maybe even install an SIO2PC and/or 10502PC boards into it as well.

post-149-1140056853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Ok.. Since you guys are showing all your hardware, I'm pulling out all the stops..

Heres my (covered with dust) 800xl that Ive had since 1985

800xl.jpg

And. Heres my Original, unmodified 1989 COMMODORE AMIGA 3000T-040.

a3000t.jpg

This is extremely rare, as it came from Commodore with the 68040, and 16 megs of RAM on the moptherboard. you will probably never see another one that actually SAYS 3000T-040 on the front of it. All the ones Ive seen just say 3000T.

Here are its specs:

25mhz 68RC040 (the good one with FPU and MMU)

Chipram: 2 megs

32bit Fastram: 80 megs

Zorro II cards: 10baseT X-surf ethernet card.

Studio 16 stereo 48khz x 16bit digital recording card.

Zorro II cards: ProRAM 3000 (64 megs of 32bit fastram)

Newtek Video Toaster 4000 (with flyer, TBC II, expasnion cables, etc.)

Cybervision 64/3D (4meg video card based on the stealth/virge 3d)

This thing has native SCSI-II on the motherboard, in addition to several other SCSI busses for the toaster setup. also, it has an IDE bus on the X-surf card. I think I can attach a maximum of 37 hardisks to this thing. heheh.

It runs AMIGA OS 3.9, CYBERGRAPHX 4.2, and Its currently running MIAMI DX (FULL TCP/ROUTING STACK), along with SAMBA 2.0 for netbiois functionality. All of this software has been around for ages.

There are no hacks on this system. All the upgrades are commercial cards that plug into card slots inside the machine. The machine is 100% 32bit architecture from stem to stern, and there are no "hacks" or "mods" done to it.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I see. I thought maybe the network hub was a part of the 8-bit system some how, since he bothered to label it along with the 8-bit stuff.

Well I guess in a way it is since that is how the APE PC (which also runs the BFBBS on A800Win) gets it's connection to the outside world.

But I'm still confused as to how he can have the 850 and SIO2PC hooked up in the same daisychain when I had serious operating problems with my SIO2PC&A.P.E when I had my P:R: Connection hooked up as well.

I do have to turn the 850 off when I want to connect with the APEmodem but the SIO connection still passes thru. And that PC has a plug-in COMport card with REAL 16550 UARTS on it - not those new things they have these days. I don't know how that could make any difference but maybe it does.

I'd like to have both hooked up into my system to use my Hayes modem for BBS use and possibly Contiki in the future. I know I can just use A.P.E. virtual modem too though, so I know it's a bit redudndant, but I'm still curious as why bf2k+ can have them working together without conflict  (sio2PC&850) and I can't with the P:R:Connection. I couldn't get A.P.E to function properly at all when I had the P:R: hooked up.

Did you have ape R: function disabled or enabled? (SIDE NOTE: I really should sit down and hook everything back up and run some tests for you just to see what's what - I'll try to do that sometime this weekend).

Lately I have not been using that system as seen in the picture - the MIO is unplugged and I have been playing with MyIDE Flashcarts, CF harddrives and stuff. I am trying to whether to get a MyIDE internal setup for my 800XL or 130XE. There are compelling reasons for both... The XE is the superior system but I hate the keyboard and cart slot. I have 2 800XL's with the GREAT keyboards in them (I think there were 3 versions of keyboards in them - 1 great one and 2 OK ones). I really cannot decide which way I want to go - hell maybe I'll just get one of each!!!

One other thing... right now the Hayes modem is connected to the 850 but I know at times it has been connected to the MIO. It has been so long since I used either, I am not sure of the reason for moving it.

Edited by bf2k+

Ok.. Since you guys are showing all your hardware, I'm pulling out all the stops..

Heres my (covered with dust) 800xl that Ive had since 1985

hehehhe.. looks like the wooden stand was MADE for the 8b and drives (like they grew there or something)!!

Yeah. It was. My dad had some crappy 286 that he thought was so great back in like 88 or so.. and he actually helped me build that wooden "case" for the 800xl and drives, to make it look "more respectable". He didnt like the way I had my computer and drives strung out taking up so much desk space with all the wires and power supplies, etc. If you look at the bottom of it, under the 800xl, its the top of a desk I actually stole from school. heheh. I should sell that thing on ebay. Its actually pretty nice. The edges are routered, and each piece is "notched" into each adjoing piece. My dad had a huge wood shop in the basement and needed something to use all those high dollar tools for I guess..

Well, I really WOULD.. But this is an ATARI forum and I don't wanna get accused of starting a huge "off topic" thread.

Heheh. and besides.. I dont wanna make the ST/FLACON guys any madder than I already have.

1019719[/snapback]

Doesn't bother me a bit! :-)

Atari Falcon CT60 accelerator running at 95mhz, CTcm (clock module) lets me adjust the CPU speed "on the fly". 16 megs ST RAM, 256 megs SDRAM, DSP, Videl, and main bus are all boosted to 40/50mhz and 25mhz respectively. 80 Gig Maxtor IDE HD, Plextor SCSI CDRW, powered by a 425 watt ATX power supply, sitting in a Wizztronics rack case. Stock ATari Falcon keyboard with the "TT-Touch" upgrade, in a FreeKeys case.

Running MINT/Thing... 'Nix rules... :-)

post-5822-1140154020_thumb.jpg

post-5822-1140154484_thumb.jpg

Well, I really WOULD.. But this is an ATARI forum and I don't wanna get accused of starting a huge "off topic" thread.

Heheh. and besides.. I dont wanna make the ST/FLACON guys any madder than I already have.

1019719[/snapback]

Doesn't bother me a bit! :-)

Atari Falcon CT60 accelerator running at 95mhz, CTcm (clock module) lets me adjust the CPU speed "on the fly". 16 megs ST RAM, 256 megs SDRAM, DSP, Videl, and main bus are all boosted to 40/50mhz and 25mhz respectively. 80 Gig Maxtor IDE HD, Plextor SCSI CDRW, powered by a 425 watt ATX power supply, sitting in a Wizztronics rack case. Stock ATari Falcon keyboard with the "TT-Touch" upgrade, in a FreeKeys case.

Running MINT/Thing... 'Nix rules... :-)

1019736[/snapback]

Nice falcon...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I'm envious of your setup Dark Lord.... but you already knew I loved it from some other time :)

Very nice... I always wanted to get Mint running on my Falcon back in the day.... oh well....

1019746[/snapback]

Never too late. :-)

BTW, I looked at your pics - you've got a nice looking family there!

I think I'm the only one here with a 400.

1019748[/snapback]

My apologies. I should have respected the forum and ignored the bait.

I promise, I won't let it happen again.

I'd show my stock 800XL and 1050 drive but I'm afraid it pales compared to what most of this crowd has going! :-)

You guys are just awesome.

Uhh. Yeah.. Mines all factory. Never been soldered on, and everything in it was produced by a major commercial company BACK when the machine was still being sold.  If you wanna see some HACKED-UP AMigas, I can point you to some sites where guys have 233mhz 604e accelerators, voodoo 3 graphics cards, GIGS of ram, god knows what in drives..  My argument is not that people didnt EVENTUALLY make add-ons for the falcon/st/tt line that made it capable of competing spec-wise with AMIGAs.. My argument is that when the AMIGAs & ATARIs were still being  produced, each successive model of AMIGA was so far ahead of anything ATARI had even dreamed of at the time, it was rediculous. ANd this holds true right up until Commodore folded in 93. The current trend in the AMIGA freak world is building G4 based machines, with AGP graphics cards, and support for any hardware they decide to write drivers for. I dont agree with this, because why in the hell not get a powermac and just code an OS for it? Anywayze, Im glad to see youve hacked your falcon up to something that could compete with a mid-late 90s pentium class machine. Nice work. You must really LOVE that ATARI name. Because the machine/OS has never held a freakin candle to whats been available on the AMIGA.

1019743[/snapback]

Actually I've seen those Amigas - used to own a couple myself. Never saw 10 Amigas yet that I'd trade 1 Atari for. :-)

I understand the point you were making. No problem there. Just wanted to point out that there are a considerable number of CT60/63 owners who aren't a bit upset about your Amiga. :-)

As for your preference for the Amiga thats fine. I, and many other Atari owners don't though.

Anyways, this is waaaaaaay OT for this forum, so lets just leave it at that, okay? I really shouldn't have responded in the first place. My bad.

See ya!

PS Your 800XL looks nice. I am envious of that. :-)

Oh my god that's exotic... I mean... [ looks around ] (changes pants) [ looks again ;-) ]

Dude, I love your Amiga setup, it's stunning! I want to come over and 'play' for a few days! :)

I will always prefer an Atari system to an Amiga/Commodore regardless of the hardware just because I've always felt the Commodore ways of loading were very weird, I didn't care for the Amiga OS on my 4000 Video Toaster.... (I ended up selling it because I got simply frustrated with trying to get it to where it should have been) and I just feel more comfortable on the Atari systems.

[ Something tells me you like MegaDeath... but I can't quite put my finger on it... weird! ]

Edited by Clint Thompson

Hmm.. Thats confusing.. Since there never has ever been made anything that even comes close to performing the same function as a toaster setup, on an ATARI.

Did you just BUY a complete toaster system to play with? Most people wont spend the $$$ unless they are into post production video and need it professionally, or are already familiar with it.

Yes you have a good point. I know people who wont use a PC because theyve alwayse used macs, and everything seems "backwards" to them.

The AMIGA OS (from day 1) supported full preemptive multitasking, logical drives, inter-process communication, and a whole host of other features that were unheard of on any other OS (excluding high-end workstations and huge multi-user and unix based platforms) until the early 90s. I alwayse preferred the LOOK of the GEM desktop to the somewhat chunky, blue & orange desktop of the AMIGAs of the day. But being a power-freak, once I learned both systems, there became no comparisson as far as what one was capable of, versus the other.

Damn. I came in here to hang with ATARI 8-bit people. Now I feel like the "evil COmmodore Guy" in ATARI land.

heheh.

DUde, I owned an original falcon 030 for a month, couldnt find jack-sh*t as far as network software for it, the OS was clunky crap compared to even AMIGA OS 1.3. ANd to top it all off, a stock A1200 020 blew it's doors off performance-wise. I traded it for a bunch of ATARI 8-bit stuff (most of it in very marginal condition) to an atari freak, who just "had to have" a falcon.

ANd your right, the scope of this discussion is far too indepth to go into hear, especially being off-topic as it is. So I wont. But its not my preference. heh. Its plain fact. I mean I guess you could prefer a TRS-80 to a Pentium IV.. But in reality, one is clearly superior, and from every possible aspect of hardware design, as well as OS functionality, nothing atari ever made even comes close to measuring up to the AMIGA.

Theres countless comparissons on the web, and all you have to do is read and compare features.

Now, like I said, as far as what you can "hack" something into.. Heh. The limits are your patience, your pocketbook, and willingness to run something that has very limited support.

All the hardware Ive got was supported by an entire industry for a long time. Machines with almost identicle configuration to mine rendered and animated all the space scenes in Babylon 5, because there was no other combination of equipment and software that could do it at the time.

SO like I said. I totally admire you for making THAT falcon what it is.  And I own several STs for the same reason that I own an Apple II, and a Commodore 128. There IS software that runs on them that I happen to like.  But to say that it's purely a matter of preference as far as which platform is superior is rediculous.

Anywayze, heres a few more pictures:

Excuse the "grafted together" nature of this last pic, but I couldnt get far enough away from it to get it all in one pic.

1019764[/snapback]

<snipped pics>

Owned an A1200. Did not outperform my stock Falcon 030. Especially with sound.

Didn't have a DSP chip either. On/off switch down on the external power supply? Some engineering.

This is my last post here though on this subject - its seriously in the wrong forum. If you want to try to debate this further, try the ST/Falcon forum. I roam there as well. Or comp.sys.atari.st.

See ya.

Edited by DarkLord

Isn't it pins 10 and 7 though, that should be connected to the switch? By my references, pin 10 is +5 volt/ready and pin 7 is Command. Pin 8 is Motor Control.

This is an issue I'm also dealing with right now. I'm swithching SIO cable between the XL and XE, and I had bought a couple extra SIO cables and was going to make a two-way splice with a DPDT switch on it. But then I spotted the APE-link kits (not to be in anyway confused with A.P.E. software) in the Best Electronics catalog. I ordered two of them, becuase I also have problems with my 410&1010 loading tapes properly when plugged into the end of the SIO chain; to many devices to go through, plus I have other devices that are dead-ends too. The APE-link is a little board, case, 3 SIO ports and instructions. It's really meant to just give extra SIO ports, but I intend to install a switch in one of them to use with my XL and XE. Of course the switch part isn't in the instructions or design of the APE-link, I'm adding that myself. But it's a good kit to add too, maybe even install an SIO2PC and/or 10502PC boards into it as well.

1019143[/snapback]

I just checked again to be sure, it is pins 8 and 10 that go to the swicthes. Pin 7 is not switched.

I hadn't noticed before, but pin 12 (+12 VDC) is not connected to anything on the switched ports. It does go to all of the non-switched ports. You might want to consider leaving that pin disconnected on your design, or switching that pin as well. Otherwise you could get the +12 V from one computer feeding back into another computer even if it is switched out. Probably not a good thing.

Ok - back on topic :)

I have:

XEGS

800XL

130XE w/4n1 OS

130XE w/32n1 OS, MyIDEi, 320K

4 1050's (1 happy, 1 US doubler)

XF551 w/ 3 1/2 & 5 1/4 mech

835(keypad)

XEP80 (same monochrome monitor Metalguy has in his pic :) )

Lots o carts and disks

SIO2PC is da bomb :)

Edited by Goochman

1019143[/snapback]

I just checked again to be sure, it is pins 8 and 10 that go to the swicthes. Pin 7 is not switched.

I hadn't noticed before, but pin 12 (+12 VDC) is not connected to anything on the switched ports. It does go to all of the non-switched ports. You might want to consider leaving that pin disconnected on your design, or switching that pin as well. Otherwise you could get the +12 V from one computer feeding back into another computer even if it is switched out. Probably not a good thing.

1020017[/snapback]

Hmm...are you absolutely sure? becuase I have two different sources that say pins 10 and 7. I'll post links when I get home and edit this post. What I mean is this an actual mod that you did that you looked at, or are you just looking at mod instructions? Becuase the mod instructions I have very clearly state pins 10&7 (it does also take into account the 12v line (suggests total disconection). But I will admit that I don't fully trust this mod, as it also says to disconnect the audio pin on one of the two SIO ports to be switched for using two computers, saying two aren't needed, but I don't see how this can be, surely both systems will need it and if it's disconnected from one, wouldn't this be a problem? Anyway, I'm posting the link to the mod I'm looking at, please, disect this thing if you have done a similiar mod. Thanks!

http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/21.html

Edited by Gunstar