IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

Hmm...are you absolutely sure? becuase I have two different sources that say pins 10 and 7. I'll post links when I get home and edit this post. What I mean is this an actual mod that you did that you looked at, or are you just looking at mod instructions? Becuase the mod instructions I have very clearly state pins 10&7 (it does also take into account the 12v line (suggests total disconection). But I will admit that I don't fully trust this mod, as it also says to disconnect the audio pin on one of the two SIO ports to be switched for using two computers, saying two aren't needed, but I don't see how this can be, surely both systems will need it and if it's disconnected from one, wouldn't this be a problem? Anyway, I'm posting the link to the mod I'm looking at, please, disect this thing if you have done a similiar mod. Thanks!

http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/21.html

1020073[/snapback]

Well, all I can tell you is that the Quintopus is wired with 10 and 8 switched. As I said, I've never tried connecting 2 copmputers to these ports because I use the Micronet for that, but the manual does state that it can be used this way. If you can't trust Bob Klass, (edit:oops meant to say Bob Puff) who can ya trust? :cool:

There is probably no reason not to switch pin 7, obviously the more pins you switch out the better. I think the only thing that Pin 8 is used for is motor control on a cassette drive. If you have no intention of ever using a cassette, you could probably just leave 8 disconnected altogether.

Edited by JR>

Hmm...are you absolutely sure? becuase I have two different sources that say pins 10 and 7. I'll post links when I get home and edit this post. What I mean is this an actual mod that you did that you looked at, or are you just looking at mod instructions? Becuase the mod instructions I have very clearly state pins 10&7 (it does also take into account the 12v line (suggests total disconection). But I will admit that I don't fully trust this mod, as it also says to disconnect the audio pin on one of the two SIO ports to be switched for using two computers, saying two aren't needed, but I don't see how this can be, surely both systems will need it and if it's disconnected from one, wouldn't this be a problem? Anyway, I'm posting the link to the mod I'm looking at, please, disect this thing if you have done a similiar mod. Thanks!

http://aland.roarvgm.com/mods/21.html

1020073[/snapback]

Well, all I can tell you is that the Quintopus is wired with 10 and 8 switched. As I said, I've never tried connecting 2 copmputers to these ports because I use the Micronet for that, but the manual does state that it can be used this way. If you can't trust Bob Klass, who can ya trust? :cool:

There is probably no reason not to switch pin 7, obviously the more pins you switch out the better. I think the only thing that Pin 8 is used for is motor control on a cassette drive. If you have no intention of ever using a cassette, you could probably just leave 8 disconnected altogether.

1020423[/snapback]

that's exactly what I assumed it was for, and I will have a cassette attached, but my Ape-link will have two switchable ports and one NON-switching just for the purpose of having the cassette drive there, becasue of unreliabilty when at the end of the daisy-chain. I've been unplugging the SIO cable to the daisy chain and connecting the 1010 cassette directly when used. I really only want to have on switch on my box (though I have two DPDT switches ready just in case), so most likely I will go ahead and just leave pin 8 totally disconnected since I won't have a cassette drive on the switchable ports anyway. This is the set-up I intend to have when finished: Two ports that are swithced with one switch, these are input ports from the two computers. One unswitched third port which I'm thinking should be accessable by either computer that's port is switched too, just like the output that goes to the rest of the daisy-chain. Actually, I'll have two SIO port switchable INPUTS, and two SIO cables going out, one to the full daisy-chain and one to the cassette. So picture a black box with both ends having permanently attached SIO cables and both sides with switched ports and a switch mounted on top.

As for trusting Bob Klass, I really have no idea who he is and what his experience is, so he's just some average Joe to me who might have things wrong. He even admits as much(EDIT: where are you getting the "Bob Klass" from?!? It says Roger Brandt at the top of the instructions?!? Edit again: I see now, you were refering to the Quintopus instructions, not the ones I linked ;) ). But from your response, he must be someone who is well known to many I guess, so maybe I will go ahead with his mod, but also disconnect pin 8 altogether, along with the 12v pin as I don't believe either is needed for what I want anyway. But, as for the audio line he says to disconnect, I think at first I'm going to ignore that part as I don't understand why you wuld want to do this. It seems to me that it will just make it where one computer, when switched, has an audio line and one doesn't. Myabe I'm just not understanding this properly...but if this audio line is only for cassettes anyway (I think it is) then I guess I really don't need it at all, since the cassette will not be hooked up through this switching port. Anyway, thanks for the help&input, I'm going to dive in today and do this project. Wish me luck (the first time, I always EVENTUALLY get it, but I'm lazy and prefer to get it right the FIRST time) :P

Edited by Gunstar

Well, I did the SIO mod, going exactly by the directions in the link I left, which states that it's pins 7 and 10, instead of 8 and 10. I figured if it was wrong, then I'd try pin 8. But since I don't have the instructions to the quintopus box, to see if it was any different than my APE link&added mod, I decided to follow what I did have. Sorry. Anyway, it works PERFECTLY, so all I know is that switching pins 10 and 7 works. Maybe 10&8 would work too, but someone else can try and see, my philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it (but uprgrades are o.k. ;) ). So there it is:

post-149-1140323203_thumb.jpg

post-149-1140323324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

(winces looking at my page...)

Ok, I need to give this page some love soon....

http://www.geocities.com/lady-aramis/Artcase.html

1016411[/snapback]

Ok, that link has been fixed and here are some more pics of my setup...

1023675[/snapback]

Sweet! I take it that first ROM board pic is of the Atari 800, XL modded OS board? One thing about it's design I find strange is that it has the wire to a 9-pin plug. I wouldn't want some wire hanging out and then plugged into the joystick port. Why not just wire it directly to the motherboard by the port, or on the backside of the port pins? Then it would all be neatly tucked into the case. If it's for disabling purposes (by unplugging it) then a simple switch mounted in a convenient spot would be much better and more asthetically pleasing.

The second is a MyIDE modded ROM board right? I may have to do that one, but I know I want the XL mod done. I'm just getting used to having an 8Mb Flashcart for my 800. A list of about 50 games ain't too shabby for the 'ol 800. Since I have MyIDE and A.P.E for my XL/XE's already too.

Edited by Gunstar

Sweet! I take it that first ROM board pic is of the Atari 800, XL modded OS board? One thing about it's design I find strange is that it has the wire to a 9-pin plug. I wouldn't want some wire hanging out and then plugged into the joystick port. Why not just wire it directly to the motherboard by the port, or on the backside of the port pins? Then it would all be neatly tucked into the case. If it's for disabling purposes (by unplugging it) then a simple switch mounted in a convenient spot would be much better and more asthetically pleasing.

1024114[/snapback]

Yeh Warerat (the guy who created the XL OS rom board) gave me the board and a wire that I could either make a dongle for to joystick port three, or just wire up inside the Atari 800.

I chose the joystick port way so that I could switch out between the normal 800 OS, XL OS, or MyIde 800 rom modules. Yes, in time, it would be great to get them all on one board. But if that never happens, I believe the most fun thing about the Atari 800 is how it is modular.

Need a rom upgrade? You take out the ram daughter board, put another in it's place while you upgrade it. Just nice!

And the CX802 (XL OS board) makes the 800 a 64K XL! That is really nice. Bizarre seeing the 800 run things that were not possible before.

Warerat and I both find it funny to have to run the Translator disk on the 800 to make 800 programs work on it. And of course, the Gorf cartridge does not work, which to me was an early indicator that the XL OS board was doing it's job. :) (since Gorf only works on the 400/800)

The second is a MyIDE modded ROM board right? I may have to do that one, but I know I want the XL mod done. I'm just getting used to having an 8Mb Flashcart for my 800. A list of about 50 games ain't too shabby for the 'ol 800. Since I have MyIDE and A.P.E for my XL/XE's already too.

1024114[/snapback]

8 mb flash cart eh? How well does that work with the 800? I've used the 1 mb flash cart and I was able to load individual items but not disk images. At least that was in normal 800 OS mode.

No, actually what I would like to see for the 800 if the MyIde800 and XL OS boards can't be combined is a RIGHT CARTRIDGE slot MyIde. :D Now that would be sweet.

In the near future I will trying out the MyIde + 1 mb flash on the 800, which should need to be XL OS mode for it to work. Only question I need to find out is if the 800 hatch can close over that cart. Need to find out how tall that cartridge stands.. that is my only real concern.

Anyone have a 800 and the MyIde + 1 mb flash cart that they could try that out for me? Plug that cart in, see if the hatch can still close?

1024114[/snapback]

Yeh Warerat (the guy who created the XL OS rom board) gave me the board and a wire that I could either make a dongle for to joystick port three, or just wire up inside the Atari 800.

I chose the joystick port way so that I could switch out between the normal 800 OS, XL OS, or MyIde 800 rom modules. Yes, in time, it would be great to get them all on one board. But if that never happens, I believe the most fun thing about the Atari 800 is how it is modular.

Need a rom upgrade? You take out the ram daughter board, put another in it's place while you upgrade it. Just nice!

And the CX802 (XL OS board) makes the 800 a 64K XL! That is really nice. Bizarre seeing the 800 run things that were not possible before.

Warerat and I both find it funny to have to run the Translator disk on the 800 to make 800 programs work on it. And of course, the Gorf cartridge does not work, which to me was an early indicator that the XL OS board was doing it's job. :) (since Gorf only works on the 400/800)

1024114[/snapback]

8 mb flash cart eh? How well does that work with the 800? I've used the 1 mb flash cart and I was able to load individual items but not disk images. At least that was in normal 800 OS mode.

No, actually what I would like to see for the 800 if the MyIde800 and XL OS boards can't be combined is a RIGHT CARTRIDGE slot MyIde. :D Now that would be sweet.

In the near future I will trying out the MyIde + 1 mb flash on the 800, which should need to be XL OS mode for it to work. Only question I need to find out is if the 800 hatch can close over that cart. Need to find out how tall that cartridge stands.. that is my only real concern.

Anyone have a 800 and the MyIde + 1 mb flash cart that they could try that out for me? Plug that cart in, see if the hatch can still close?

1024127[/snapback]

The MyIDE cart will fit in the 800 without a problem, but, the problem is that the IDE connector is on the top end of the cartridge, and the IDE ribbon cable plugs into it there, so I don't know how you'd get around the 800's door, you might have to run the ribbon cable in from the rear of the 800 (by cutting a slit in the case or something) and then running it to the front and into the left cartridge port from the backside, under the door. The you could just detach the ribbon cable from the cart to pull the cart out. Or, maybe, do the same thing, but run it to the right cartridge port, re-wire the right port to the left port, then include a switch to deactivate it and activate the left port for another cartridge, then you'd never have to remove the MyIDE cartridge.

Sweet! I

The MyIDE cart will fit in the 800 without a problem, but, the problem is that the IDE connector is on the top end of the cartridge, and the IDE ribbon cable plugs into it there, so I don't know how you'd get around the 800's door, you might have to run the ribbon cable in from the rear of the 800 (by cutting a slit in the case or something) and then running it to the front and into the left cartridge port from the backside, under the door. The you could just detach the ribbon cable from the cart to pull the cart out. Or, maybe, do the same thing, but run it to the right cartridge port, re-wire the right port to the left port, then include a switch to deactivate it and activate the left port for another cartridge, then you'd never have to remove the MyIDE cartridge.

1024152[/snapback]

Hmmm.. the big trick so far in running cables of all types from the under the hatch is to modify the metal plate under the hatch with a non-sharp notch to give the cable room. I've already modified the plate towards the back of the Atari 800 when I got the MyIde800. I think that I could add a notch to the front of the plate and that would let the cable pass from the catridge area, past the ram modules, and out the back. :)

Sweet! I

1024152[/snapback]

Hmmm.. the big trick so far in running cables of all types from the under the hatch is to modify the metal plate under the hatch with a non-sharp notch to give the cable room. I've already modified the plate towards the back of the Atari 800 when I got the MyIde800. I think that I could add a notch to the front of the plate and that would let the cable pass from the catridge area, past the ram modules, and out the back. :)

1024188[/snapback]

Actually warerat suggest that we build the MyIDE interface into the third ram slot. We can either use a 32k card in slot 2 or he was thinking of making one with 32k Sram. I really like the way he thinks.

Edited by Almost Rice

Sweet! I

1024152[/snapback]

1024188[/snapback]

Actually warerat suggest that we build the MyIDE interface into the third ram slot. We can either use a 32k card in slot 2 or he was thinking of making one with 32k Sram. I really like the way he thinks.

1024212[/snapback]

Well, the way I think is that if you are going to be switching to sram anyway, why not go the whole nine yards and do a XL/XE compatible ram expansion like rambo/XE. If you can make it compativle with a 64k XL, why not a 256k XL? Or more...since we have an XL OS board using a joystick port pin already, why not 1 or two more to handle bank-switching?

Well, the way I think is that if you are going to be switching to sram anyway, why not go the whole nine yards and do a XL/XE compatible ram expansion like rambo/XE. If you can make it compativle with a 64k XL, why  not a 256k XL? Or more...since we have an XL OS board using a joystick port pin already, why not 1 or two more to handle bank-switching?

1024226[/snapback]

Well, he has to design the board and has not done so. Currently, docterclu has a 64k 800 system with XL OS. This was made with the 3x16k built into the system and 32k Sram on the OS board. Only 16k was used for the XL OS. Thats what the little port 3 cable was for. When I get mine, I will make this internal. The current design does not get rid of the current ram. He only uses Sram for ram that is not there.

All the above were thoughts of possible designs. And yes he has thought about making larger slot 2 ram. If someone has a 32k ram card, that person would not need the ram board. But he never gets rid of the 16 ram in Slot 1. The main reason to make a larger ram 2 card was to free up the ram 3 slot for the MyIDE card. Leaving the cart slot free.

Well, he has to design the board and has not done so.  Currently, docterclu has a 64k 800 system with XL OS.  This was made with the 3x16k built into the system and 32k Sram on the OS board.  Only 16k was used for the XL OS.  Thats what the little port 3 cable was for.  When I get mine, I will make this internal.  The current design does not get rid of the current ram.  He only uses Sram for ram that is not there.

All the above were thoughts of possible designs.  And yes he has thought about making larger slot 2 ram.  If someone has a 32k ram card, that person would not need the ram board.  But he never gets rid of the 16 ram in Slot 1.  The main reason to make a larger ram 2 card was to free up the ram 3 slot for the MyIDE card.  Leaving the cart slot free.

1024324[/snapback]

Yep, at the moment he's trying to get some bugs out of extended ram card, as we at least saw with...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82197

... I'm sure he'll work it out. The MyIde idea in slot three is a good idea too. I do enjoy that idea since it taps into the modular idea of the 800 and frees up the catridge slot (something that I liked about the MyIde800 that Mr. Atari did.)

That said, I ordered the MyIde + 1 mb flash so that I wouldn't miss the sale on that cart ending on the 28th (a few days away). So I'll just go that route for the time being.

Well, the way I think is that if you are going to be switching to sram anyway, why not go the whole nine yards and do a XL/XE compatible ram expansion like rambo/XE. If you can make it compativle with a 64k XL, why  not a 256k XL? Or more...since we have an XL OS board using a joystick port pin already, why not 1 or two more to handle bank-switching?

I have! I have a semi-working prototype right now (Almost Rice has seen it). It makes the 800 into a 576K XL machine (gives 32K to main memory, and full 512K to ramdisk), only uses four ICs. That frees up slot 3, and slot 3 already has the $D6XX select for an internal MyIDE. The RAM board requires a few extra wires to the ports 3 and 4 for the bank selects and extra RAM enable. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up my connections-- I have some intermittent failure somewhere on my protoboard that causes it to work sometimes and not others, but the design is complete. Booting SpartaDOS on the 800 is surreal, running RD.COM and getting a ramdisk is insane.

Edited by warerat

[

Now it's just a matter of cleaning up my connections-- I have some intermittent failure somewhere on my protoboard that causes it to work sometimes and not others, but the design is complete.  Booting SpartaDOS on the 800 is surreal, running RD.COM and getting a ramdisk is insane.

1025904[/snapback]

:D Can't wait to see that.

I have!  I have a semi-working prototype right now (Almost Rice has seen it).  It makes the 800 into a 576K XL machine (gives 32K to main memory, and full 512K to ramdisk), only uses four ICs.

1025904[/snapback]

I forgot about it. I was more interested in getting my hands on a XL OS board :D .

If he gets this done, then the only gripe anyone could have is the lack of PBI. Knowing warerat, it won't take him long to do it. Though I still don't see a need, since having a MyIDE in slot 3 and 512k ramdisk in slot 2 really removes it.

I have!  I have a semi-working prototype right now (Almost Rice has seen it).  It makes the 800 into a 576K XL machine (gives 32K to main memory, and full 512K to ramdisk), only uses four ICs.

1025904[/snapback]

I forgot about it. I was more interested in getting my hands on a XL OS board :D .

If he gets this done, then the only gripe anyone could have is the lack of PBI. Knowing warerat, it won't take him long to do it. Though I still don't see a need, since having a MyIDE in slot 3 and 512k ramdisk in slot 2 really removes it.

1026063[/snapback]

PBI... ah yes. Nah, wouldn't care be honest. :D

I have! I have a semi-working prototype right now (Almost Rice has seen it). It makes the 800 into a 576K XL machine (gives 32K to main memory, and full 512K to ramdisk), only uses four ICs. That frees up slot 3, and slot 3 already has the $D6XX select for an internal MyIDE. The RAM board requires a few extra wires to the ports 3 and 4 for the bank selects and extra RAM enable. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up my connections-- I have some intermittent failure somewhere on my protoboard that causes it to work sometimes and not others, but the design is complete. Booting SpartaDOS on the 800 is surreal, running RD.COM and getting a ramdisk is insane.

1025904[/snapback]

Sounds cool, but I'd need 64k; 32k restricts you further it seems to me making the other upgrades less effective( or pointless in the case of the XL OS), might as well keep the 48k ram and just do an Axlon compatible memory upgrade for ramdisk. What does it matter if you have a ramdisk and MyIDE if you can only run 32k programs (which are fewer and older)? Am I misunderstnding you somehow? Isn't the whole point of having the XL OS so that you can have a full 64k of main memory and compatibility with all the 64k software?!?

Edited by Gunstar

1025904[/snapback]

Sounds cool, but I'd need 64k; 32k restricts you further it seems to me making the other upgrades less effective( or pointless in the case of the XL OS), might as well keep the 48k ram and just do an Axlon compatible memory upgrade for ramdisk. What does it matter if you have a ramdisk and MyIDE if you can only run 32k programs (which are fewer and older)? Am I misunderstnding you somehow? Isn't the whole point of having the XL OS so that you can have a full 64k of main memory and compatibility with all the 64k software?!?

1026127[/snapback]

It is a 32K RAM board with extra XL banked memory in slot 2, leaving slot 3 free. This is used in conjunction with the 16K in slot 1-- there's your 48K. The additional 16K RAM is on the OS board, so it *is* a full 64K 800XL with extra memory. The point of this whole upgrade is to make an 800 run the newer programs, not take away any functionality.

So: OS Board 16K RAM/ROM +

Slot 1 16K RAM +

Slot 2 32K RAM & extra = 64K main memory + extra RAM with an XL OS in an 800.

With both boards in place my 800 is a 576K 130XE, sans switchable BASIC, self-test, and HELP key.

1025904[/snapback]

1026127[/snapback]

It is a 32K RAM board with extra XL banked memory in slot 2, leaving slot 3 free. This is used in conjunction with the 16K in slot 1-- there's your 48K. The additional 16K RAM is on the OS board, so it *is* a full 64K 800XL with extra memory. The point of this whole upgrade is to make an 800 run the newer programs, not take away any functionality.

So: OS Board 16K RAM/ROM +

Slot 1 16K RAM +

Slot 2 32K RAM & extra = 64K main memory + extra RAM with an XL OS in an 800.

With both boards in place my 800 is a 576K 130XE, sans switchable BASIC, self-test, and HELP key.

1026143[/snapback]

Ahh, so I dod misunderstand you. Well, that appears to be exactly what I want, though I'd be happy with anything XE compatible with 128k+ ram. I'm still getting my 1200XL to that point now though, so the 800 waits until that's done. Maybe by then something like you have will be availble to the rest of us, in either kit form, or complete ready-to-install "commercial" boards, or just instructions in a "collect your own parts" scenario, whatever. I'll take what I can get.

Finally got a picture page together so I guess it's my turn.

Guitarman's Collection

Clicking on the thumbnails will open another window with larger pictures.

1026343[/snapback]

Those are nice! Many nice boxes and such too. The Atari 400 box was really nice. I have one in ALMOST as good as shape as that, and a 800 in a box that is hanging on for dear life. :D

The Apple Lisa was the most impressive to me. What have you been able to get that thing to do? What programs were made for it?

What kind of drive is that? 5 1/2?

When I was a teen floppies were still expensive, so we got a bulk of floppies for really cheap. But they had a billion holes and notches in it. If you manage to cover all the holes it worked "ok". Those were the goofiest looking floppies and we were led to believe they were from a Lisa.

The Apple Lisa was the most impressive to me.  What have you been able to get that thing to do?  What programs were made for it? 

What kind of drive is that?  5 1/2?

When I was a teen floppies were still expensive, so we got a bulk of floppies for really cheap.  But they had a billion holes and notches in it.  If you manage to cover all the holes it worked "ok".  Those were the goofiest looking floppies and we were led to believe they were from a Lisa.

1026498[/snapback]

The Lisa has a 720K 3.5 drive. Both of the Profile drives are functional and both have Lisa Office System 3.1 installed. It was also known as the Lisa 7/7 system. It has all the standard office type apps including a ternimal program, graphics, spreadsheet, database, word processing, and so on. The computer was given to me back in about 1994 because it didn't work. Turned out to be just the felt pad on the floppy drive had fallen off but was still inside the case. I didn't get software for it until a few months ago. The Lisa1 had the twiggy drives in it. Those were the thinline 5.25 drives.

Edited by Guitarman

The Apple Lisa was the most impressive to me.   What have you been able to get that thing to do?  What programs were made for it?  

What kind of drive is that?  5 1/2?

When I was a teen floppies were still expensive, so we got a bulk of floppies for really cheap.  But they had a billion holes and notches in it.  If you manage to cover all the holes it worked "ok".  Those were the goofiest looking floppies and we were led to believe they were from a Lisa.

1026498[/snapback]

The Lisa has a 720K 3.5 drive. Both of the Profile drives are functional and both have Lisa Office System 3.1 installed. It was also known as the Lisa 7/7 system. It has all the standard office type apps including a ternimal program, graphics, spreadsheet, database, word processing, and so on. The computer was given to me back in about 1994 because it didn't work. Turned out to be just the felt pad on the floppy drive had fallen off but was still inside the case. I didn't get software for it until a few months ago. The Lisa1 had the twiggy drives in it. Those were the thinline 5.25 drives.

1026512[/snapback]

That is just too cool! There was a time where I big into getting ANYTHING on the internet I could to the Atari chat site. And I forgot how many hurdles I had to jump through to make that happen on the web based site. (Back then it took calling a local BBS, telneting from there to a site with a lynx browser, and then on the chat site. Current chat site is telnet based, so just one stop for those older computers.)

Anyway, I like ANY computer that has a modem program. Even better if it has ansi support. :)

On that end, I can't wait to get online with the Atari 7800 computer module when that comes out...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80490

That will be a trip.

Anyway, tried the modem port on that LISA yet? Any games for it?

(I'm not a complete Apple fan, but I have been on Macs & Newtons since 1989. Lisa was kinda the Mac precursor, so I find it cool.)

(winces looking at my page...)

Ok, I need to give this page some love soon....

http://www.geocities.com/lady-aramis/Artcase.html

1016411[/snapback]

Ok, that link has been fixed and here are some more pics of my setup...

1023675[/snapback]

1024114[/snapback]

Here is my new toy. S/N:2 Notice no joystick cable.post-7833-1141616662_thumb.jpg

post-7833-1141616516_thumb.jpgpost-7833-1141616652_thumb.jpg

Thanks warerat.

Here are some with my MyIDE cart. I cant hit Start to load images though.

post-7833-1141617532_thumb.jpg

post-7833-1141617563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice