IGNORED

New Atari Company

Idea Revolutions

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Sorry guys, I don't do programming... graphic's or otherwise. How-ever I do have some great ideas for this new project.

What do you think of this??:

moycon-88.gif

Would anyone like to program this game for me??? Thomas??? Anyone!????

*sigh*

I like it! However I think some bank switching will be involved if we are going to fit the sandwich graphic in the cart. Maybe you can get a Wiener deal with OscarMayer? Free Weiners for life for everyone that gets 100-000 points!

"Is that a wiener in your pocket or are you just an Atari fan??

Insted of spending more on the extra hardware maybe we can just make a screen overlay like the original Odyssey used.

Ohhhh man the idea's are flowing like a river on this one. Just so you know I don't expect any cash for these idea's but if anyone does use them... I expect a package of Oscar Mayer hotdogs...and some bologna.

it would be cool if we all made atari games, but we cant , perhaps someday a game maker for a modern console will come out and we can make them look atari like....

now if someone did artwork based on atari games now that would be cool! (and im sure someone out there does and i dont knwo it yet)

OK i'm putting in my 2 cents and it's this it took me 4 hours to figgure enough bisic to program a game called pick a number you pick a number if it's worng the game tells you if the number is higher or lower and youi pick another it gose on like this untill you get the number. The number has to be between 1-100. I did on an atari 400 computer. I'd imagine that doing a 2600 would be a billion times as difficult but it can done so let the guys try what they can and lets all see what they can do

PS:

In theory if you built a time travelling devise you can only go as far back in time as when this devise was created if would be easilyer to go into the future using the theory of relitiveity

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

It's sort of like trying to commission Oscar Mayer to create a new wiener you've just thought of. Oscar Mayer's business
is
wieners. There's probably a good reason the wiener you just thought of hasn't already been done.

That's right. Everybody should just shut up, because: If you have an idea, don't even think about pursuing it--if it's not out there already, then it MUST be garbage. What were you thinking? Individuals with their own ideas?! Nobody would want that.

I'll come at this from a different angle, since I don't know anything about programming, but I do know something about business. (Nine years as an Accountant.)

Okay, this might seem obvious, but why not hire a programmer like Thomas to make your game? $2000 would be quite a deal. Where I work, we have contract programmers billing at $60/hour and they work in high level languages. This would be about a week's worth of their time and I am sure they couldn't handle it.

I would then have Hozer do the production and sales. That would be the best way to get your ideas made into actual games without learning programming.

Sure it will cost a lot, but what did you expect? If it could be done at low cost and little effort, believe me, someone would have figured it out by now.

Good luck with your business deal.

I believe that Thomas' figure was just a guesstimate...since he doesn't even know what ideas were in mind. Obviously, 2600Quake would cost a little more...not that it would be possible on the console.

Still coding hacks for free

"...probably a good reason..."

I think he was referring to asking questions after you have an idea...and everyone here is willing to give you advice if something is going to be near-impossible on the 2600 (I say "near" because there are always ways to get around limitations of the hardware i.e. Pitfall II...but the would require an almost godlike knowledge of the hardware).

quote:

Originally posted by somePUNK:

I'd imagine that doing a 2600 would be a billion times as difficult

That's right...the 2600 has no characters built-in...so you would also need to create the letters of the question itself...as well as a kernal to display them. An easier solution to your game would be to hack Dark Mage and just change the questions and logic routines in that.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

Obviously, 2600Quake would cost a little more...not that it would be possible on the console.

Actually I think every game is possible on any video system. There are 3D-Shooters available on the VCS and there are 3D-Dungeon games available on the VCS.

Quake 2600 is doable.

All you need is imagination and programming talent. I bet before 'Dark Mage' everybody said "A Text Adventure on the VCS? IMPOSSIBLE!"

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Bloated Monkey:

Someone can program a 2600 game from scratch in a week? I would have thought it harder than that, even for a pro. It took me longer than that to program my vcr!

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my earlier post. I don't know how long it would take. I was just offering Idea Revolutions an alternative solution to getting his ideas turned into a 2600 game.

My point is Thomas seemed to underestimate how much he should charge to write a 2600 game. He said he would charge $2000 to code a game for a not-for-profit entity and $5000 for a profit entity. I believe he thought those were outrageously high figures. I was trying to show that even $5000 to code a 2600 game from scratch would seem to be a low figure, at least compared to hiring an American programmer (or more specifically, one in Cincinnati.)

Now whether Idea Revolutions would take him up on the offer is another matter. And I don't want to think about the quality a for-hire game would have. It would probably be as good as those novels written from movie screenplays. Ugh.

quote:

Originally posted by Atariken64:

dont know if this one has been thrown out there yet..

what was the maximum and minimum and average time it took an atari (or activision , imagic... etc) to complete a game?

That might be a difficult question to answer. Games being financed by actual companies are sometimes shelved to make way for titles deemed more popular or profitable...and certianly if the title is expected to "tie-in" with a movie or something that is currently popular. Games for the 2600 are not the type of programs that move from one person to another, because of the general "uniqueness" of the games kernal. And if a subject that the game is based on has fallen out of public favor, they would be scrapped altogether...regardless of the programmer's enthusiasm to complete it.

I'm certianly no programmer, but if I had to guess...I'd say that if the game is relatively simple in concept and the programmer has no major issues to iron out...probably at least a few weeks.

I know some development times of the modern homebrews:

QB was planned to be finished in four weeks, but it needed about 8 weeks. And that is the only homebrew game I know that was done as a full time job.

Thrust on the other side needed 18 months (with some smaller breaks). Like most other homebrews, this game was done during spare time (a few hours per day). Because it was my first attempt, some weeks where needed to understand the basics of the 2600. And it's 16K (most other homebrews are 4K), so it took a "bit" longer.

My second game Jammed needed about 3-4 months.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Player:

My point is Thomas seemed to underestimate how much he should charge to write a 2600 game. He said he would charge $2000 to code a game for a not-for-profit entity and $5000 for a profit entity. I believe he thought those were outrageously high figures. I was trying to show that even $5000 to code a 2600 game from scratch would seem to be a low figure, at least compared to hiring an American programmer (or more specifically, one in Cincinnati.)

Yes, you are right, this woudn't be the amount of money I would earn in my daily job as a programmer by far.

But since it's my hobby and I still would becontributing to the Atari community, I think the price is fair.

Point being, that even though game design seems to have gained a lot of interest in the past week (as it does from time to time) it's going to be a long time before you'll see anything substancial. Especially since most of us have day jobs (oh what I wouldn't give to be back in school and have the summers free ). As Thomas said earlier, most people that venture into this field give up before completing step 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Atariken64:

what was the maximum and minimum and average time it took an atari (or activision , imagic... etc) to complete a game?

Peter Engelbrite & Steve Baker did California Games (16K!) in 6 weeks.

But consider this was a full time job by the same guys who had the experience of doing Summer and Winter Games before that. And they used development tools of 1987, which I'm sure made programming easier and quicker then what Activision or Atari had in the early 80's.

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Peter Engelbrite & Steve Baker did California Games (16K!) in 6 weeks.

But consider this was a full time job by the same guys who had the experience of doing Summer and Winter Games before that. And they used development tools of 1987, which I'm sure made programming easier and quicker then what Activision or Atari had in the early 80's.

Yes, and I'm quite sure they could also utilize a lot of the experience and tools from SG and WG.

• 2 years later...

i dunno, but if this is team savage, i overthrow power from the possibly unactive leader. i am the head of team savage now.

EDIT: is there allready a Topic called Team Savage?

Edited by trigun