IGNORED

DUAL "POKEY" SOUND CHIP STEREO UPGRADE BOARDS

MEtalGuy66

Howdy MetalGuy66, folks

YEah but bit 6 of the first PIA has GOT to be left alone for control of separate antic and CPU access. This feature of the 130xe is worth MUCH MORE than 1 extra bit of ram adressing. So with this in mind, the limit might be 128megs. heheh.

That should be pin 5. Pin 6 controles Missile Command on the XEGS.

greetings

Mathy

Ahh. Yeah. My mistake.. It is BIT 5... But it's actually PIN 15...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to get their board installed and working yet?

One thing I need to mention is that the pins that go into the motherboard pokey socket need to be trimmed to length in order to fit inside an XE machine. I left these long because I didnt know what machine you might be putting it in. It works in a 1200XL or XEGS "as-is" but if you put it in a 65xe, 130xe, or 800xl, your gonna have to shorten the pins.

This is not hard to do, but you do need to make sure and cut them to a fairly uniform length so that they will all make good contact in the socket.

The best way to do this is to make yourself a gauge. Take a strip of cardboard (like a piece of a busniness card or something) and cut a strip of it as wide as you want the pins to be long. (on the 65/130XE, about 3/8 of an inch works good). Put this "gauge" flush with the bottom of the board, against the pins, and take a pair of sharp precision "dikes" and just snip the pins off along the edge of the "gauge"..

If the cut ends dont come out clean, just take a small (fine) file and lightly file the ends of the pins (go across the entire row of pins lightly so it cleans them all up at the same time, and even further "averages" their length to be the same)until you get the tips nice & neat.

Sorry for this extra hassle, but its really not that difficult or critical, as long as your keyboard will go back in place without interference.

I have been testing this mod with different amps and speaker combos. The best results Ive heard so far have been with a set of Altec Lansing multimedia speakers.

A good quick demo that sounds really good is Raster's RMTDEMO.XEX program. Sounds like a Commodore SID chip in "overdrive" heheh.

You guys find some more cool software that uses this! And post it here...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Ok. Here is the actual "reccomended" way to hook up each of your stereo audio outputs, according to the original "gumby" article.

This is not necessary, but it does provide a way to fine-tune the output levels of both pokey chips.

hookup.gif

Edited by MEtalGuy66

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. Here is the actual "reccomended" way to hook up each of your stereo audio outputs, according to the original "gumby" article.

This is not necessary, but it does provide a way to fine-tune the output levels of both pokey chips.

I assume that should be an audio pot and not a linear one... correct?

The gumby instructions just specify an 50k trimmer pot. Used standard trimmers (non linear) on mine, and it worked great.

• 1 year later...

The gumby instructions just specify an 50k trimmer pot. Used standard trimmers (non linear) on mine, and it worked great.

I didn't even use trimmer pots with your board, as I recall, I just have the audio ouput pins connected directly to RCA cables, though I may have installed small capacitors inline, I don't recall. Anyway, my ouput RCA jacks plug into my 1084S monitor and then some self-amp'd PC speakers are plugged into the headphone jack on the monitor. It give fantastic sound, at least with the speakers I use.

You might be interested in the new stereo PCB by Bob!k and Raster of C.P.U. for the XE line which mixes the BELL signal, and more. Although the page is in Czech only I think the schematics, pictures and photos are still quite self-explanatory. If not, you can ask me for a translation (but I can't promise :)).

Edited by pepax

You might be interested in Raster's new stereo PCB for the XE line which mixes the BELL signal, and more. Although the page is in Czech only I think the schematics, pictures and photos are still quite self-explanatory. If not, you can ask me for a translation (but I can't promise :)).

WOW - thanks for that link. Looks very nice. Are the PCBs available to buy? I guess I'll be 1st in line to ask for a translation.

Stephen Anderson

WOW - thanks for that link. Looks very nice. Are the PCBs available to buy? I guess I'll be 1st in line to ask for a translation.

Stephen Anderson

I think there are a few bare PCBs left which might be offered for sale here. As far as I know there's no volunteer for assembling them here, so consider it a pure DIY product. :) If there is a high enough demand for them a production of, say, 10 pieces can be arranged. The PCB itself costs about $3, and I guess the shipping won't cost less than $6 - I'll have to investigate if you're still interested. :)

As for the translation: if time permits...... ;)

Well,

for all those that already have a second/stereo - pokey, atached are some programs (incl. texts, patches, sound-editors and sound players) for this fine upgrade... At least read the texts stereo1, stereo2 and stereo3 (all to be found on stereo1.atr) and if you like try the TB XL patches and schematics (*.TUR, also on stereo1.atr). There are some more programs to play with - but as always the archive is incomplete, meaning there are dozens of other A8 programs (including games, demos, sound editors, etc.) available on the net which make use of a second pokey chip... Nevertheless, hope you like this small collection and find it useful... -Andreas Koch.

Stephen Anderson

I think there are a few bare PCBs left which might be offered for sale here. As far as I know there's no volunteer for assembling them here, so consider it a pure DIY product. :) If there is a high enough demand for them a production of, say, 10 pieces can be arranged. The PCB itself costs about $3, and I guess the shipping won't cost less than $6 - I'll have to investigate if you're still interested. :)

As for the translation: if time permits...... ;)

Hi there,

Would you accept paypal? I would be willing to take at least two. Let me know and I'll send a private email with my paypal email for an invoice.

Thanks,

I would also be interested, as long as there are understandable (English) instructions

Here it is. Sorry for any grammatical mistakes. If you disagree with how the board is designed don't tell me - I don't understand it anyway. :D

Whenever there's high enough demand for the PCBs I'll work with Krupkaj on ordering and distributing them (but only after he returns from the country of endless possibilities :cool: which will hapen hopefully in a few weeks, not much sooner or even later. ;)

Paypal is OK, in fact we don't want to mess with any other means of payment. :) Visiting the post office more than once will be enough horror. ;)

I would also be interested, as long as there are understandable (English) instructions

Here it is. Sorry for any grammatical mistakes. If you disagree with how the board is designed don't tell me - I don't understand it anyway. :D

Don't worry, your translation is perfectly all right and easy to understand.

Whenever there's high enough demand for the PCBs I'll work with Krupkaj on ordering and distributing them (but only after he returns from the country of endless possibilities :cool: which will hapen hopefully in a few weeks, not much sooner or even later. ;)

Paypal is OK, in fact we don't want to mess with any other means of payment. :) Visiting the post office more than once will be enough horror. ;)

I took the liberty of mentioning the existence of this project on the forum of the German A8 club (ABBUC). I recently read a message there that the club gets requests for building a stereo Pokey project on a regular basis, but apparently nobody knew you had already done this. So, it seems safe to say that there might be an even larger group of people interested in your project.

re-atari

All the thanksgiving should be headed towards Raster and Bob!k of C.P.U.

When Krupkaj successfully finishes his Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Czech Atari Scene only then we can order the PCBs and sell them. :D So please be patient, We'll sort it out in July.

Edited by pepax

Hey Pepax

You guys are comming to the Fujiama 2007 I hope!?

Mega-hz will be there too, he can do lot's of PCB's.

I saw the translation before, but for some reason missed the line that says "translated by pepax". I wondered already. BTW I suggested to Raster and a couple of other guys at the Unconventional 2005 that they should look into Multilink. Looks like Raster did. I have high hopes that we will see marvelous (Multilink) games from his hands in the future.

Greetings

Mathy

PS for those who don't know what Fujiama is, check out this site http://www.uncon.de

Hi Mathy,

You guys are comming to the Fujiama 2007 I hope!?

As far as I know Raster, Bob!k and Bohdan are coming, Krupkaj will be discovering the U.S. at that time and Zdenek will be getting lost somewhere in the middle of Norway. :)

I will probably come, that is, if I don't convince myself I really really want to go to the RetroEuskal which looks so promising and besides, I like Spain. :) One "really" isn't enough to make me search for a cheap bus ticket. :|

Mega-hz will be there too, he can do lot's of PCB's.

What exactly does that imply? Will he accept any orders in place? Or even before the event? Where can I find his catalog? :D

How about double-sided through-hole PCBs? They are not as cheap to produce as we wish they would here. ;)

I would also really like to know someone who can, let's say "remaster" ;), old PCBs for which there are no schematics or layouts. I'm too much of a n00b to even try that. What I have in mind are for example various Lynx, VCS, 7800, C64, Plus/4 andd maybe even Vectrex cart PCBs etc.

Have you noticed that the wide selection of PCBs in CPUWIZ's shop has quite shrunken somehow? What a pity. :sad: I was thinking about buying some stuff he doesn't offer anymore.

BTW: is there anyone here who uses one of the (in)famous Epson Stylus Photo DuraBrite printers to print PCBs? I have the C84 and C86 and I thought about modifying them for such purpose but right now I

a) can't even make them print - they waste hell of a lot of ink for nozzle cleaning and I have yet to build a cartridge resetter to be able to even refill them (whoever at Epson invented this dirty trick should be you know what.... :mad: ) Besides, the opinions on the suitable cleaning fluid vary.

b) have yet to 100% understand the HOWTO, guess I'm too :dunce: to get it right.

I saw the translation before, but for some reason missed the line that says "translated by pepax". I wondered already. BTW I suggested to Raster and a couple of other guys at the Unconventional 2005 that they should look into Multilink. Looks like Raster did. I have high hopes that we will see marvelous (Multilink) games from his hands in the future.

You check the Czech and Polish Atari sites twice a day, don't you? :D

If you're trying to say that Speed Up! is not enough and Raster ought to program more cool Multilink games be prepared to his firm suggestion to code some yourself. ;) That is, if you aren't willing to actually pay him to do that. :D

Hello pepax

I really would like to meet you guys again in Lengenfeld near Zwickau (from the 20th untill the 22nd of 2007) in Germany. (Did you notice I'm trying to convince other readers to come too. ;) )

Mega-Hz can re-layout PCBs and sometimes orders a bunch of PCB's. Check out http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/Angebote/angebote.html unfortunately, it's in German only.

We need more active programmers who know how to programm for the multilink interface. And Raster is active, innovative and good. Now all we have to do is convince him to write more software for the multilink interface. :-D

Greetings

Mathy