IGNORED

New Rally X, port Atari 8Bits

devwebcl

Hi

Just to let you know the two main developers are hard at work, fixing bugs and developing NRXA8, in their spare time.

The rest of the team keeps up the hard work too, but at a lower pace. Once a new version comes out, we will let you know ASAP. I hope it will be soon.

Regards

• 6 months later...

Hi guys

Just to let you know a new beta version of the New Rally X for the Atari 8 bit has been released.

Please, download it here:

http://www.devweb.cl/atari/nrx2.xex

According to the leader of the developement team, these are the known bugs:

1.- Zone trespassing

2.- Score, not matching digit

3.- Sometimes the flag is not properly taken.

4.- Stopped scrolling.

Please let us know what you think about this new version.

Regards

I get a blank screen after I press fire on the title screen. Am I doing something wrong? I use Atari800Win PLus 4.0.

It works fine for me using version 3.1 :)

It looks like it is going to shape up to be an excellent conversion - well done guys!

Currently the smoke comes out all of the time and the red cars don't move but the scrolling, playability and the radar bit works really well.

I used to love this game in the arcade so can't wait to see the next beta.

Cheers

Ivan

I get a blank screen after I press fire on the title screen. Am I doing something wrong? I use Atari800Win PLus 4.0.

I tried out different configurations in the same emulator and if you have disabled Basic and has at least 64kb of memory you shouldn't have any problem at all (besides the bugs already mentioned :) ).

Could you mention the configuration of your emulator.

cheers,

Devwebcl

Have the developers of this game been testing it on a REAL atari 8-bit? I ask becuase I have tried to load it on my 130XE and get the title screen, with a loud constant buzz, then when I press the button the screen goes black and that is it. I have also tried it on my 1200XL with the 32-in-1 OS and have tried 800 OS B, and XL/XE rev. B&C&D and I still get the buzz at the title screen, but it does load when the button is pressed, but soon after starting a game or watching the "demo" mode everything starts going crazy and corrupted and eventually totally crashes, but it is complete unplayable. My 130XE also uses the PAL Antic at 50Hz refresh rate and the 1200XL is 60Hz. I don't think there will be too many happy people if it only works on an emulator, I think emulator users are still in the minority here.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi

Developement on this game is mainly based on emulator usage. Of course, we always try to test the game on the real thing. There was a time when we found out that at a certain developement stage, the game only worked on the emulator. Then we fixed the problems, now it should work OK on the real thing.

BTW, this game has been designed to work mainly on the NTSC machine. Running on a PAL machine has not been tested at the moment, mainly because we don't have access to a PAL Atari, nor a PAL TV...

We have only tested the game on a NTSC 800XL and 65XE, testing on a 130XE must be done to see any problems with that, although there should be no problems at all...

Regards

PS: The title screen was designed using Graph2Font, and I think the buzz you mention is a secondary effect of the routine used to display the graphics. I think this can be worked out, but definitely it hasn't the top priority on our 'to do' list...

Edited by lbaeza

I thought I had read that there was music on the title screen, which I thought the buzzing was a corrupted version. But as I stated, I also tried to run the program on an NTSC 1200XL with a 32-in-1 OS which includes the OS's of the NTSC 800XL and 65XE you said you tested it on above, but it has TONS of problems and is unplayable, with corrupted graphics and screen "jumping" effects like one would expect if they were trying to run an incompatible PAL program on an NTSC machine. So I can only guess that your tests on 800XL's and 65XE's were quite insufficient. Anyway, I hope you will decide to get it running properly on real machines as I am pretty sure that most of the user base here uses real machines and not emulators. It would be a sad situation if you decide to only support emulators. Very disappointing. I can post screen shots of the problems if you would like. Though if you only intend to support the emulators then I will lose all interest in this project as I never use emulators and never intend too. Please reconsider your position on making sure the game works on real hardware.

Hi Gunstar

No music on the title screen, yet ;-)

You have to keep in mind this is a preliminary version of the game, so you have to expect finding lots of bugs. This is not a final version. At the moment you can only move the car and launch smoke. Nothing else. Don't expect the enemy cars moving around. This has not been implemented yet.

I agree with you, testing on real machines is important, and definitely we could make some extra efforts on that.

About users base here using real machines, I doubt that. I hardly use emulators, I like to play on the real machines. But almost everybody I know uses mainly emulators for playing.

We haven't decided to support only emulators. On contrary, build a game running on the real thing is our primary goal.

Please feel free to share with us any problems you find while testing. Feedback about our work is very important for us.

I hope things are a little more clear now. Keep in touch.

Regards

Edited by lbaeza

Hi Gunstar

No music on the title screen, yet ;-)

You have to keep in mind this is a preliminary version of the game, so you have to expect finding lots of bugs. This is not a final version. At the moment you can only move the car and launch smoke. Nothing else. Don't expect the enemy cars moving around. This has not been implemented yet.

I agree with you, testing on real machines is important, and definitely we could make some extra efforts on that.

About users base here using real machines, I doubt that. I hardly use emulators, I like to play on the real machines. But almost everybody I know uses mainly emulators for playing.

We haven't decided to support only emulators. On contrary, build a game running on the real thing is our primary goal.

Please feel free to share with us any problems you find while testing. Feedback about our work is very important for us.

I hope things are a little more clear now. Keep in touch.

Regards

Thank you for your concern and answers. I do disagree with you on whether the user base is mainly emulators or real machines, I do believe most use the real thing, but I guess we need to find out for sure, so I am going to start a new poll thread to see...

PS: The title screen was designed using Graph2Font, and I think the buzz you mention is a secondary effect of the routine used to display the graphics. I think this can be worked out, but definitely it hasn't the top priority on our 'to do' list...

Hi

I just contacted the developer in charge of the game title screen, and told me that the buzz is not a side efect of Graph2Font. The buzz was made on purpose, and is intended to be the engine sound of the player's car.

I think this could be improved, since my first impression was that it was a buzz too... :)

Regards

Oh, o.k., yeah, that "buzz" seems more like a bug and not an engine. I forgot to mention that I am glad you do intend to make sure it works on a real machine in the end. But when I said I was having problems doing so, I realized that it's an incomplete game and that you can only drive around and use the smoke screen, but the "demo" show TONS of corruption when it's running and crashes too. That was what I was concerned about, I didn't think there was more to gameplay though.

• 9 months later...