IGNORED

Good Luck Charlie Brown

mattkain

The video is awesome, but what are you supposed to do in the game?

The object of the game was to fly the kite around for as long as you could without hitting an obstacle. The longer the string the higher the score. When you got hit you were supposed to rake leaves to earn another chance at flying the kite (obviously this part of the game wasn't done yet).

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/c...harliebrown.htm

Tempest

For those who missed it, here's the link again:

Everyone who has expressed interest in the game, hold tight. I'm going to be gone visiting my out-of-town GF this weekend (she has first dibs on my time), and then I'm off first thing in February for a few weeks of business in Korea and Japan. In all honesty, I just want to get this off my hands and get it into the hands/collection/2600 of someone that has time to deal with it. Sorry that I have so little time to post or answer PMs, I've just had my life go in some strange directions lately (I'm sure many can relate), and this has forced me to both be on the road frequently and deal with some new, unforseen issues. Anyway, the game is safe and not going anywhere for the moment. As mentioned (and those who read the original 2600 Connection article way back in 1996 know), the game was originally discovered and purchased by my brother, and we have always agreed that whatever happens to the cart would be a joint decision. At this point we've decided to sell the cart. Exactly how and when is unclear, but it will most likely be via an auction in late February or early March.

Have you considered selling repros of the game?

Not really interested, and I wouldn't have the time.

The video is awesome, but what are you supposed to do in the game?

No clue. Avoid stuff I guess. I've never really been able to figure the gameplay out. There are also moments where lightning flashes in the back, but I'm not sure if there are any in the video (or they don't show up very well).

Is that video for real? I dont mean to sound skeptical but looking at it I cannot help but look at it and think that it looks too good in the graphics department ;)

Ha, ha. Yup, it's real. I'm not too surprised that the graphics look so good. Check out the graphics on Big Bird's Egg Catch, also by Christopher Omarzu. Look at how good Big Bird looks:

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.ht...twareLabelID=31

In fact, I'm fairly certain that the graphics are incomplete. It's hard to see in the video, but Charlie is missing facial features. I'm sure he would at least have gotten some eyes in the final version.

Matt Kain

Edited by mattkain

In fact, I'm fairly certain that the graphics are incomplete. It's hard to see in the video, but Charlie is missing facial features. I'm sure he would at least have gotten some eyes in the final version.

I just assumed you were looking at his back. :ponder:

I have to admit that was my first impression when I saw it. Tempest do we know what year this was started for definite? ;)

I have to admit that was my first impression when I saw it. Tempest do we know what year this was started for definite? ;)

You have to be looking at his back, how would he fly the kite if he was facing you? Behind his back?

It would have to be be late 83 or early 84. I would assume early 84.

Tempest

Tempest

That would make sense for the advanced graphics. I for one woudl love to learn more about this game, especially if it possessed the rake gathering stage Tempest mentioned. I pray that this isn't the only prototype of this game out there but knowing fate it probably is ;)

You have to be looking at his back, how would he fly the kite if he was facing you? Behind his back?

Tempest

That's what I thought too!!! Charlie needs to fly his kite!!! :P

The screen capture isn't pixel-perfect, but it looks to me as though CB's nose projects slightly on the side facing the his direction of motion, or the kite when he's not moving.

Curious he has no eyes, though.

The screen capture isn't pixel-perfect, but it looks to me as though CB's nose projects slightly on the side facing the his direction of motion, or the kite when he's not moving.

Curious he has no eyes, though.

That, sir, is correct. It's a side view (at least of his head) - you can tell because the nose switches sides based on which way he moves. It's a little hard to tell in the video, but very obvious when watching the game on a TV. I still think the graphics on Charlie are incomplete. He at least needs eyes and maybe a mouth (although it wasn't uncommon in the original comic to see side views of Charlie with no mouth - see the above link). Again, look at how detailed the graphics are in Big Bird. It might be just speculation, but I'm convinced that the head was not finished.

MK