IGNORED

Atari sounds still common

Ze_ro

I just saw a Circuit City commercial on TV, and as soon as the guy enters Circuit City, a whole bunch of sound effects go off... most of which were actually old 2600 sound effects! Most notable were the intro "music" and "bong bong" from Pacman! Anyone else notice Atari sounds being used lately? Pretty crazy that even 20 years later, people still associate these sounds with video games.

(I've also noticed the "door opening" sound from Doom being used in a lot of places)

--Zero

Yeah, that's struck me as funny too (the Circuit City advert). 20 years and lightyears of tech ahead and still the bites we associate with video games are Pac-Man. you just can't beat the classic stuff. Its actually smart marketing if you thing about it. The target group for that ad is 18-35, the age of most Atari nostalgics. I know it turned my head the first time.

Remember that when Atari was owned by Warner Communications they were responsible for creating a wealth of sound effects that have been the backbone of the Warner sound catalog ever since. If you are in video production and you use a Warner created library of sounds, chances are the computer/video game ones (also spaceship sounds, etc.) came from Atari.

So it may not be that someone went and got some "Atari sounds." It's more likely they pulled out the tape with 'video game sounds' on it and that's what it was.

I do agree that it's funny that these companies and commercials are using old sound effects from some of the more classic games. Goes to show you that if you play it, the older gamers will come! I did see this commercial, and a smile lit my face as I recognized some of the sounds...my old Atari was alive and well again!