IGNORED

Questions about Amidar

Random Terrain

Demolition Herby is the other game that you 'capture' areas of the playfield.

Thanks. Never played that one, so I just tried it. The controls are way better on that game. Not as 'sticky'. The playfield also looks a little more like arcade Amidar than 2600 Amidar does.

What about miner 2049'er volume I+II ?

No way. Running and jumping is a world apart from running around in a restricted path.

Amidar is a maze game and a direct descendent of Pac-Man. The play mechinc is identical: claim territory in a maze. Whether this is signified by the removal or dots or a change of color in the maze itself is irrelevant. Amidar uses a clever visual twist to give the genre a new spin.

What about miner 2049'er volume I+II ?

No way. Running and jumping is a world apart from running around in a restricted path.

Amidar is a maze game and a direct descendent of Pac-Man. The play mechinc is identical: claim territory in a maze. Whether this is signified by the removal or dots or a change of color in the maze itself is irrelevant. Amidar uses a clever visual twist to give the genre a new spin.

In Miner 2049'er you also claim territory by running over it. Moving around in that game is just as restricted as in Pacman (you still have to stay in the pre-programmed paths). Wether or not you could call it a maze is debatable though...

It's not debatable. Miner 2049er is a platform game.

If that's a maze game then so is Donkey Kong and Pitfall.

Wrong. In neither of those games do you claim territory. Miner 2049er is debatable because you do claim territory to complete the level, however you do it via platforming.

RT and I have been hashing out the definitions: We have two different play mechanics to consider. One is platform vs maze. The other is "territory-acquistition" vs "finish-line" games.

So Miner 2049er would be a territory-acquisition platformer. Amidar would be a territory-acquisition maze game.

Donkey Kong would be a finish-line platformer. Maze Craze would be a finish-line maze game.

How do those categorizations strike you all?

RT and I have been hashing out the definitions: We have two different play mechanics to consider. One is platform vs maze. The other is "territory-acquistition" vs "finish-line" games.

So Miner 2049er would be a territory-acquisition platformer. Amidar would be a territory-acquisition maze game.

Donkey Kong would be a finish-line platformer. Maze Craze would be a finish-line maze game.

How do those categorizations strike you all?

Thanks. Territory Acquisition sounds better than Zone Capture.