IGNORED

wierd food fight glitch.

audiemurphy

Definetly sounds like an Easter Egg. Do you recall if you did anything different before starting the game? Have you been able to reproduce it?

Tempest

No, I was just dragging out my 7800 to play. It had been probably 6 months since I had played last. I put the game in, and it glitched up 2-3 times, and then the alchemist showed up. I tried again and again, but no luck.

Ok, I can't resist a mystery and since I am in the process of writing a 7800 graphics viewer I decided to tackle this one. I poked around in ROM with my graphics viewer and found the character graphics (which are not a full set a characters) and from that I managed to decode how the text in the game is stored. This lead me to this piece of text in the ROM:

BYTHE "ALCHEMIST0F FUN"KEITHSAWYER

Note that this is not stored in ASCII in the ROM so it won't show up when viewing the ROM.

A quick Google of Keith Sawyer turned up that he worked at GCC and was the lead designer on Food Fight.

So now the question is, was what the original poster saw just a glitch, or is there really some way to make this appear in the game. I will have to poke through the code of the game a bit more to figure out if it is truely an easter egg.

Dan

Edited by DanBoris

Ok, I can't resist a mystery and since I am in the process of writing a 7800 graphics viewer I decided to tackle this one. I poked around in ROM with my graphics viewer and found the character graphics (which are not a full set a characters) and from that I managed to decode how the text in the game is stored. This lead me to this piece of text in the ROM:

BYTHE "ALCHEMIST0F FUN"KEITHSAWYER

Note that this is not stored in ASCII in the ROM so it won't show up when viewing the ROM.

A quick Google of Keith Sawyer turned up that he worked at GCC and was the lead designer on Food Fight.

So now the question is, was what the original poster saw just a glitch, or is there really some way to make this appear in the game. I will have to poke through the code of the game a bit more to figure out if it is truely an easter egg.

Dan

Yes, it's stored in a weird order: GCAEVNMILP...

I am looking forward what you'll find out.

I am in the process of writing a 7800 graphics viewer

I had done something like this awhile ago, actually.

I would recommend looking at "Joust" and "Asteroids". Still can't figure out how to trigger these.

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/78joust.htm

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/78asteroids.htm

I think I tipped DP off about the graphics being there, but I don't believe that the pix are mine.

Food Fight, however, is not listed here:

http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/7800.htm

Perhaps we should add it?

Regards,

-John

Dan

I took a look through the code and don't see any obvious place where the ROM locations that contain the message could be accessed. It's possible that the program tried to hide the code that displays the message, but I am not sure why he would bother since anyone reviewing the code would spot the message very easily.

Dan

I took a look through the code and don't see any obvious place where the ROM locations that contain the message could be accessed. It's possible that the program tried to hide the code that displays the message, but I am not sure why he would bother since anyone reviewing the code would spot the message very easily.

Is it possible that it's a hidden code path? Astrosmash, as an example, was originally going to be an Asteroids clone. However, the programmer had been working on a game he thought was a lot more fun, so he hid it in the code. Mattel executives eventually got cold feet about taking on Atari, and thus the hidden game became the primary, and the primary became the hidden game. The jump instruction at the beginning of the cart is intended to route around the Asteroids code in all cases. However, there have been reports that the instruction sometimes fails during the unstable period during power-on. The result is that the Asteroids clone is occasionally accessable, but only by accident.

Given the 101 ways it seems possible to glitch out the 7800, might this only execute by pure accident?

I think I spoke to soon! I looked at the code again with a fresh head, turns out I was looking for the wrong thing. I am pretty sure I found a piece of code that would display the message on the screen. For anyone who is interested, the code it at location $BD03 in the cartridge.

Tracing back I find that the program gets to BB78 when you press the trigger on the title screen. From there if a bunch of conditions are met, it eventually ends up at BD03 to display the message. It will take some doing to figure out what all those conditions are.

Dan

• 1 month later...