IGNORED

Having problems in getting Ultima II started with the Atari 8-bit or the Apple II version

Sharky

I can seem to play Ultima II on any emulator, I don't understand. I'm using Atari800Win Plus

3.1, I boot it up, I then press P to Play a game of Ultima II, then it soon says "(Insert

Player Disk)", so I click on File>Attach Disk> and I select the player disk image, but

nothing happens, I can't cannot get any further than that. No sign of disk activity or nothing.

I gave up on that, and downloaded the Apple II version of Ultima II using Apple IIe Emulator for

windows v1.12.9.1, and I get stuck at the exact same spot, where it says "(Insert Player Disk). I insert the Utlima 2 player disk image, then press SPACE or ENTER, nothing happens...

Is there some sort of combination of keys I'm suppose to press? I have pressed every key I know off on my PC

keyboard and its got me stumped.

:?

Edited by Sharky

IIRC for Ultima II you had to make a Players Disk with the utility that came with the game. Basically it would copy the PD master over to a writeable disk. If you kept the original PD in the drive it would keep telling you to insert the Players Disk (meaning the copy, not the original). The system probably thinks you are inserting the original PD and not the copy. I'm not sure how all this works in emulation though.

Tempest

Ultima II uses 3 disk images...the main program disk, the "galactic" disk (used when you gain access to a space shuttle), and the player master disk. Booting the player master (which was just the flip side of the main program disk in the commercial game) allowed you to reset your attributes and begin a new game...and it's this side that you needed to duplicate using Atari Dos.

Ultima2.zip

Thanks for the disk images, so I know I don't have corrupt copies then, because it does the same thing.

I used the player disk to boot, it tells me to insert Dultipcate disk, and I think i'm in need of AtariDOS or I can't get any further, is this freely downloadable somewhere, or is this treated like a rom and can't be distributed. Because I've been trying to search for a disk image with AtariDOS or is it MyDOS and had no luck so far ?

:ponder:

Oops...that "player master" had a game-in-progress on it :P

Here's a fresh one that lets you use the create character option right off the bat.

Just boot the program disk, hit escape, and mount this one before hitting C (be sure that read/write is selected). That will send you into the character generation routine. After entering your stats, this data will be saved and the game will prompt you to re-insert the program disk. Do that, hit escape, hit P to play, and swap disks again :P You'll now be on the fields with the character of your choice.

I included a Dos disk too, since you said you don't have one. But it's easier just to copy the PC file for safekeeping if you need another fresh start in the future. Better than mounting/unmounting images a bunch of times (which is what U2 requires).

Good luck

Beware the dwarf!

UltimaIIPlayer.zip

Dos2.5.zip

Thanks I got it going now, main thing I didn't know you had to press the Escape Key to continue after inserting the required disk, and theres me bashing Spacebar or Enter. :thumbsup:

Now I can play it!

I didn't care for it either when designers switched from using the spacebar to signal "continue" :P

Also, IIRC the game doesn't save your progress automatically. You need to press Q to tell it to.

Have fun, Vic

Best to try the VAPI version as i would guess that most of the ATR versions of ultima 2 are 'poorly hacked' versions

You can get a VAPI version of Ultima 2 i guess from atarimania.com (i think) plus you can download a VAPI modified Atari800win+ emulator as well

Please visit atarimania dot com for an explanation of what VAPI is (something to do with protecting the original disks copy protection... similar to steem engines 'PASTI. DLL' file)