IGNORED

AC Adapter for Lynx 2

bedouin

Okay, I'm not too hot on electrical conversions, but I reckon 1200Ma is equal to 1.2 amps in which case that adaptor should be okay.

There have been other posts on the Lynx forum on this topic including pretty much the same question posted by myself when I bought my first Lynx. It would be worth checking them out for a definitive answer.

I just looked at the power adapter for a microphone mixer I own and noticed it's the exact same adapter, which I bought from Radio Shack before :) I will need to wait for the actual Lynx to arrive to know if the tip is the correct size though.

I use a Recoton AC adapter set to 9 volts (has variable settings from 3 to 12) & 300mA (a 2-postion switch).

It also has multiple male jacks on the other end, useful for a # of devices. I only use it for my Lynx though.

The official Lynx adapter has a 9V / 500mA output, if I remember correctly.

Any AC adapter that has 9V output with at least 500mA should work. 300mA might also work.

You would also have to find the right power connector though (the little plug that plugs into the Lynx power socket).

• 2 weeks later...

If the Lynx is rated at 3W, then at 9V it is only pulling 333mA. Now, the official power supply is rated at 3W, which means that the lynx actually probably pulls less current than that.

I power mine with a 500mA universal AC adaptor, and its fine. If anyone is really interested, i'll get my multimeter on it and see exactly how much current it draws.

Well, on the Robotron 2084 titlescreen it was drawing 240mA. I'm guessing if you really stress the hardware (75Hz refresh, play music, have the volume right up), it might draw a bit more, but probably not much. This sounds about right considering the official power supply was rated at 3 Watts.

Edited by Lumpbucket

I just scored a Lynx 2 off eBay and am looking at AC adapters for sale. Is it necessary to buy an Atari-branded adapter for the unit, or should I be able to get one from Radio Shack?

An adapter with a 9-volt (7.5-Vdc to 10-Vdc) @ 400mA (500mA for a LYNX 1) will work. It will need a DC power plug with a 3.5mm outside diameter and a 1.3mm inside diameter - center POSITIVE. I've used a lower 300ma output universal adapter while playing a 4-player Warbirds frag fest with my nephew & his friends back in the early 90's and the unit would cut out because the adapter couldn't handle it.

You can pick up an original LYNX adapter(s) at the link below:

MPJA ONLINE

The inside diameter they have listed for it is incorrect. It should be 1.3mm.

• Like 1