IGNORED

Snafu for Atari?

chguat

Hey guys, a friend of mine found out I own a bunch of Atari gear and wanted to come over and revel in the old-timey goodness. I have an 800XL with the SIO2PC setup, so I can basically download nearly any 8-bit game and play it on the 800XL. Anyway, she swears she remembers playing a game called Snafu on the Atari.

Now here's the thing: I'm about 99% certain that the Snafu she's talking about is the Surround clone made for Intellivision. Unfortunately I don't own an Intellivision, and I can't find any record on Atarimania (or anywhere else, really) that a version of Snafu was made for the Atari. I'm thinking there might be a version floating out there somewhere possibly under a different title. Anyway, if you know of any Snafu-type games for the 8-bit Atari, or if you know if Snafu was ever given a release on the 8-bit Atari your help will be much appreciated.

No, it wasn't that one. It was a game with snakes warapping around trying to avoid one another like the game Surround for the 2600 only Snafu for Intellivision was supposedly a much better game (I don't know, I've never played it).

Edited by chguat

I do remember a game called Snafu for the Aquaruis but not for the intellevision (even thought both the intelly and the aquarius where made/sold by the same company)

In the UK i think it was the pack-in or bundled game with the aquarius

I believe I played Snafu on my Intelli. 2.

The box is what I remember opening.

Edited by Almost Rice

What's the situation, Norman? Sounds like an R.E.M. ripoff! (What's the Frequency,Kenneth?)

[edit] Aww, you edited it. :(

Snafu used to be one of my favorite INTV games. The music is insanely catchy... almost as bad as Activision's Pressure Cooker!

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone seen the old Private Snafu cartoons?

Edited by mojofltr

Intellivision/Mattel *did* port many of their games to the Atari via their M Network brand. However, Snafu (a stupid name developed by marketting) was not one of them. Your friend is probably confusing her Intellivision and Atari experiences.

The game is not rare at all (I have two copies - don't ask) and can be obtained from Atari2600.com for as little as $1.95 for a loose cart, or $7.95 new in box. Given that the instructions are online and the overlay is useless*, I'd suggest not wasting money on the boxed version. Of course, if you don't have a system to play it on, you might be looking at another $60 or so just for the system. :)

I do remember a game called Snafu for the Aquaruis

The Aquarius was produced by Mattel, the same company that produced the Intellivision. As a result, many of the Aquarius's games were Intellivision ports. (You can see the full list of games for the system in the 1983 catalog.) Given how it was treated as just another Intellivision console, one has to wonder if Mattel wasn't thinking that the Aquarius would make up for the failed Intellivision keyboard attachment?

* What is up with that overlay? I mean, they could have at least TRIED to put something useful on it. For example, putting the words "Slow" on '3' and "Fast" on '1' would have helped with starting the game.