IGNORED

1982 Texas Chainsaw Massacre Box Pictures & Poster Info

Joystick Jolter

Just curious about what the legality of all this is, although I have not seen any activity from Wizard Video since 1987.

Has anyone ever heard of a case where evaluation items were demanded back, or of cease and desist letters filed against sellers on eBay or other venues, from companies (or the companies that now own those companies) from the older days of video gaming? I believe companies that have stuck around like Nintendo and Sony are more protective about their loaner/evaluation items.

Boy are you way off base here. There is nothing I have that I have talked about that

anyone, wether still in business or not, could ever have any title to. What I have was

given to me by the company. It was not given with any other premise than to be given

to me to use however I wanted to.

Now if you were talking about a proto game with a label that said it was a loaner or

that they wanted it back that might be different. I'm not selling a proto game. The box

was sent with the game which was finished and it just happened to get into a prototype

box that they never used.

I hope this doesn't sound hard but it is just plain facts.

Anthony

Woah, hey slow down there. A little sensitive about this, huh? I wasn't suggesting that you are doing anything, oh, illegal, just wondering what the legal status of evaluation materials like this might be given they are media from another time and given that Wizard Video, like many other companies from that time, is no longer a viable company unlike Sony, Nintendo, or even Atari. But thanks for your touchy, knee-jerk "it's mine, mine, mine" response, because it illuminates a grey area in the world of video game collecting.

You were given this game by Wizard Video for the purposes of reviewing it for a publication, yes? (I'm not even going to get into the ownership of the publication here.) Most, but not all, of the time evaluation materials are not expected to be returned (reasons include: to foster goodwill among the reviewers, it isn't worth the money to get the sample back since they are destined for mass production anyhow, the item has been allocated through accounting as a business expense, and so on); however, with some companies they ask for the materials back - here I'm thinking of certain film companies and their films. It really depends on what sort of legal agreement, or lack thereof, accompanies the material(s) in question. (As an aside, I've reviewed books before, and sometimes the publisher wants the review copy back, but most of the time they don't - typically this is related to how far along in the publication process the text is. Also, it's been over a good ten years since I worked in radio, so I'll have to check with an industry friend about the current situation over there.) Of course, we live in different times and with additional media formats, so controlling who has access to what is a little different story.

So yes, in a situation with something taken from a company by an employee - such as a lab loaner cart - that cart is still the company's property, although thus far many of the surviving companies from the Atari 2600 period appear not to care about retrieving this sort of thing. Enforcing (intellectual) property issues, copyright, and trademark are things that are interesting to me, and like I said in my initial query, I'm really thinking more about companies with longevity like Sony and Nintendo (and Disney because of their aggressive corporate history, but this is a video game forum).

I was not given this game by Wizard, if you know how to read all we are talking about here is a poster. NOT A GAME. And no one here has said anything about taking something from a company. It's like you're putting out there that I stole a game cartridge. HUH!

I want to tell you something. It's people like you that stopped my from sharing the stuff

I have with the people here 2 years ago. You are bringing up "$H1T" about something that

has nothing to do with what the thread is all about. I'm sharing something with the people here that care about this stuff being in the public eye, not people who are looking for someone to stop people from knowing what was out there and what might have gotten to see the light of day had it not been for the "Tsunami" that covered it all up, or was it the bulldozers in the Arizona dessert that covered up all the stuff :P . Look you want to start a thread about should we get some lawyers in here to find out who has Atari loaners in their collection and see if Atari can take them back go ahead, but don't start this crap in one of my threads in which I'm trying to share some interesting information with all the rest of the people here. START YOUR OWN THREAD ABOUT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!! YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT WHAT I POST FINE SAY IT. AND YES I'M SENSITIVE BECAUSE IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU CRYING ABOUT BULL$H1T THAT CAUSED EBAY TO PULL ALL THE AUCTIONS PEOPLE HAD FOR PROTOTYPE CARTRIDGES.

DUH! I'M JUST WONDERING EBAY IS IT LEGAL FOR THEM TO SELL THAT STUFF. COULD YOU GET IN TROUBLE FOR LETTING THEM SELL IT.

YES I'M MAD BECAUSE IT'S IDIOTS(AND YOU'RE RIGHT I DON'T KNOW YOU AND I SHOULDN'T CALL YOU THAT BECAUSE YOU MIGHT CALL YOUR LAWYER AND TRY TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER) LIKE YOU WHO ARE ALWAYS BRINGING LAWYERS INTO EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY OF OUR LIVES.

YES, THIS IS AMERICA AND WE HAVE FREE SPEECH. AND THAT'S WHY I'M SPOUTING OFF HERE AND TELLING YOU STAY OFF MY STREET. I'VE GOT TONS OF THINGS SITTING IN BOXES THAT I KNOW MOST PEOPLE HERE AT ATARIAGE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT AND SEE. SO DON'T YOU CHASE ME AGAIN.

IF YOU THINK I'M A BIT TESTY YOU ARE RIGHT. AND MY POSSESION OF THE THINGS I HAVE ALLOW ME TO CALL MY SHOTS THE WAY I SEE THEM. I'M POSTING THINGS HERE FOR THE MEMBERS OF ATARIAGE TO SEE AND MAYBE LEARN SOME THINGS ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY IN IT'S INFANCY. LEAVE MY POSTS ALONE. IF YOU CAN'T HAVE A CIVILIZED CONVERSATION WITHOUT BRINGING IN CHILDISH NONSENSE THEN JUST TELL ME TO TAKE MY BALL AND GO HOME. NO

PROBLEM!

IF MY YELLING HERE UPSETS SOMEONE I'M SORRY, IT'S JUST THAT 2 YEARS AGO HERE WHEN I STARTED POSTING THINGS PEOPLE GOT CRITICAL AND A LITTLE STUPID. I IN FACT STILL HAVE ONE OF THE APOLOGIES AFTER ONE OF THE MEMBERS GAVE ME A HARD TIME. HE SAID HE HAD TAKEN TOO MUCH COLD MEDICINE THE DAY BEFORE. WELL PEOPLE I DIDN'T TAKE TOO MUCH COLD MEDICINE, I'M JUST PI$$ED AT SOMEONE BRINGING UP $HIT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY THREAD WHEN ALL I'M TRYING TO DO IS IMPART SOME VIDEOGAME HISTORY.

Thanks for your time.

Anthony

PS Folks: If you think this guy isn't obsessed by the thoughts of bringing in lawyers always , here's another quote from one of my other threads.

Well Activision still exists as a company, so you could write to them and maybe even sue them for compensation!

$$$$$ $$$$$

God Bless America and its legal system!

Edited by Joystick Jolter

I was not given this game by Wizard, if you know how to read all we are talking about here is a poster. NOT A GAME. And no one here has said anything about taking something from a company. It's like you're putting out there that I stole a game cartridge. HUH!

I want to tell you something. It's people like you that stopped my from sharing the stuff

I think you mean "selling" the stuff as in, "hey, look at this image...that also happens to be for sale."

I'm sharing something with the people here that care about this stuff being in the public eye, not people who are looking for someone to stop people from knowing what was out there and what might have gotten to see the light of day

I'm all for historical preservation, and often in the hands of private collectors items from the past wound up being preserved for the future and then eventually winds its way into the public domain (as in the ol' Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum!" line), but please don't delude yourself that you are solely "sharing" when your posts are all about ascertaining value for sale - "I'd like to give thus-and-such an image to AtariAge, but not until it sells first." Some people do donate items to historical groups, and I believe several people here around AA run some.

but don't start this crap in one of my threads in which I'm trying to share some interesting{/quote]

sell

YES I'M SENSITIVE BECAUSE IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU CRYING ABOUT BULL$H1T THAT CAUSED EBAY TO PULL ALL THE AUCTIONS PEOPLE HAD FOR PROTOTYPE CARTRIDGES.

All I'm asking are some of the historical precedents surrounding possession issues of materials from video gaming, primarily with Sony and Nintendo, as I have mentioned in both my previous posts. The fact that you fail to understand this is further evidence of your myopia. You claim it's your stuff to sell, and I'm taking no action to stop you, just asking the group - you know, the forum - if they have any additional info about legal property cases with video game materials. As for prototype cartridges, as I wrote earlier, this is a situation where companies can enforce their ownership rights.

IF YOU CAN'T HAVE A CIVILIZED CONVERSATION WITHOUT BRINGING IN CHILDISH NONSENSE

You mean something like:

Looks like someone had too much "whine" with their cheezy poofs. :ponder: This is definitely an emergency - better make a call for the WAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE! :roll:

IF MY YELLING HERE UPSETS SOMEONE I'M SORRY, IT'S JUST THAT 2 YEARS AGO HERE WHEN I STARTED POSTING THINGS PEOPLE GOT CRITICAL AND A LITTLE STUPID. I IN FACT STILL HAVE ONE OF THE APOLOGIES AFTER ONE OF THE MEMBERS GAVE ME A HARD TIME.

Thanks for your time.

Anthony

Wow, so fascinating to see someone lose their $hit in public. The only thing I'm sorry about is that you didn't post a pic of the steam comin' out yer ears when you were typing your invective.

You could always ask the moderators to lock the thread if you are really hard up.

Edited by Zwackery

I don't know if he has a TCM box like this, but I believe that sly had a Halloween box that had a similar color scheme as this one.

This is the one that I mentioned I owned........Halloween....In fact, I bought it from Sly himself!!! The box is in great shape compared to Joystick's!!! :cool: