IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

I got the ST157N to spin up now (don't ask - :ponder: ) but it is giving me an error when I run HDFMTPH9. The error is :

A=20 Y=8A

Anyone know what this means?

Thats normal.. Try HDFMTPH.com and select ST-225n..

I don't have HDFMTPH.COM - where is it available?

I got the ST157N to spin up now (don't ask - :ponder: ) but it is giving me an error when I run HDFMTPH9. The error is :

A=20 Y=8A

Anyone know what this means?

Thats normal.. Try HDFMTPH.com and select ST-225n..

I don't have HDFMTPH.COM - where is it available?

MIODISKS.ZIP

Tried HDFMTPH.COM - same result.

Error = "Could not configure drive. Error stats are A=20 Y=8A

Ive seen that exact error before.. And I know the drive turned out to work.

Did you configure all the drive specs & partition sizes in the MIo firmware menu before you ran the format utility?

Tried HDFMTPH.COM - same result.

Error = "Could not configure drive. Error stats are A=20 Y=8A

Ive seen that exact error before.. And I know the drive turned out to work.

Did you configure all the drive specs & partition sizes in the MIo firmware menu before you ran the format utility?

Yes... 2 partits 16m & 7m

ID=0, LUN=0 (all ID jumpers off the drive)

HDFMTPH sees the drive info from the MIO but when I hit 'Y' to the R U sure? question, I get the error.

I really thought it was the address thing but I disconnect the little address select wheel which should make it ID=0

hmmm... there was a little plug-in module (which I assumed was the SCSI terminator), but maybe it wasn't? Could it have had something to do with the LUN addressing? At any rate I tried it both plugged in and unplugged - same error. Maybe it needs to be plugged in at a different location. There are a whole row of plug-in positions which seem to line up with the SCSI connection on the drive. (You probably know exactly what I am trying to explain poorly).

Well, if we are talking about a seagate drive (ST-157n), there should be three 10 pin resistor packs that plug in to terminate it. They are right behind the SCSI connector. If its the last device on the SCSI chain, it needs all three of those resistor packs plugged in... If its not the last device on the chain, then make sure there arent ANY resitor packs plugged in..

On embedded SCSI drives, they are alwayze lun0. Yeah, if it has a case-mounted ID selector switch, unplugging it will put it at SCSI ID 0.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Well, if we are talking about a seagate drive (ST-157n), there should be three 10 pin resistor packs that plug in to terminate it. They are right behind the SCSI connector. If its the last device on the SCSI chain, it needs all three of those resistor packs plugged in... If its not the last device on the chain, then make sure there arent ANY resitor packs plugged in..

It is the last device and there was only 1 pack plugged in.

I'm giving up on this tonight - party time!

Ok.. Thats easy then.. Remove all resistor packs from the ST-157N.... Make the ST-157N the first device, and put your OTHER drive as the last, and make sure that adaptec controller board (on the other drive) is terminated. (if it works as the only device on the bus, then it should already be).

Also (obviously) you need to make sure that the ST-157N is set to a different SCSI ID than the adaptec controller on the other drive.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Ok.. Thats easy then.. Remove all resistor packs from the ST-157N.... Make the ST-157N the first device, and put your OTHER drive as the last, and make sure that adaptec controller board (on the other drive) is terminated. (if it works as the only device on the bus, then it should already be).

Also (obviously) you need to make sure that the ST-157N is set to a different SCSI ID than the adaptec controller on the other drive.

Hi Ken-

Perhaps you can help guide me along with my 157N-0 also.

The 157N is the only device (drive) in the chain and it has all three resistor packs attached.

J2 already was jumpered in the right-most position looking at the drive from the rear ("caret mark indicates jumper)

ooooo (SCSI 50-pin connector is here)

ooooo

----- ^

I entered the 615 Cylinders and 6 Heads into the configuration screen

I used HDFMTPH rather than HDFMTPH6 (or 9). The format menu popped right up and it, and I selected the ST225N option.

Formatting took about 2-3 minutes, and verification took about 20 minutes.

The final sector count was 117,592. (that's about 20,000 too many based on the 50% formatting)

I plugged in the numbers in the configuration screen and saved the configuration.

I booted MyDos 4.50 from a floppy and attempted (soft) format the drive and write the system. It tries to write the directory format, but ends with error 163 every time.

This is essentially same behavior that I've seen before when I have tried to format "512-byte" sectors with 256 bytes. I've had this same result with both this 157N and a 296N.

If you can suggest anything, I'd be happy to try it.

Incidently, I have zero problems with MFM drives and an Adaptec 4000.

-Larry

Edited by Larry

Except I don't have the cabling to do that...

Hi Ken-

Perhaps you can help guide me along with my 157N-0 also.

The 157N is the only device (drive) in the chain and it has all three resistor packs attached.

J2 already was jumpered in the right-most position looking at the drive from the rear ("caret mark indicates jumper)

ooooo (SCSI 50-pin connector is here)

ooooo

----- ^

I entered the 615 Cylinders and 6 Heads into the configuration screen

I used HDFMTPH rather than HDFMTPH6 (or 9). The format menu popped right up and it, and I selected the ST225N option.

Formatting took about 2-3 minutes, and verification took about 20 minutes.

The final sector count was 117,592. (that's about 20,000 too many based on the 50% formatting)

I plugged in the numbers in the configuration screen and saved the configuration.

I booted MyDos 4.50 from a floppy and attempted (soft) format the drive and write the system. It tries to write the directory format, but ends with error 163 every time.

This is essentially same behavior that I've seen before when I have tried to format "512-byte" sectors with 256 bytes. I've had this same result with both this 157N and a 296N.

If you can suggest anything, I'd be happy to try it.

Incidently, I have zero problems with MFM drives and an Adaptec 4000.

-Larry

Dont use Mydos.. It sucks ass..

Use HDFMTDIR.COM in spartados...

Sounds to me (from what you said) that your drive "physical format" went fine..

The 296N supports 256byte sectors natively, just like the 225n..

As far as ST157N geometry, here's what I got from Seagate's website. According to them the proper number of sectors for this drive is 94,860.

ST-157N SCSI</P> <P>												 /��Ŀ
											 � O �12
											 � O �G
											 � O �G
											 � O �5
					SCSI Connector		   \����
	�����P�W�A��������������������������������������
	  o o o o o  �::::::::::::::::::::::::1�
	  o o o o o  �������������������������;
	  4 2 1 � P �������1�������1�������1
	  ����� � � ������������������������
		�   � �	� Resistor Termination Packs
		�   � �
		�   � �� Parity Check enable
		�   ���� Not Used
		�������� Drive ID's, ID 0 (none) for single drive system</P> <P>
					 ST - 157N</P> <P>	   UNFORMATTED CAPACITY (MB) ________________57
   FORMATTED CAPACITY (26 SECTORS) (MB) _____48.6
   ACTUATOR TYPE ____________________________STEPPER
   TRACKS ___________________________________3,678
   CYLINDERS ________________________________615
   HEADS ____________________________________6
   DISCS ____________________________________3
   MEDIA TYPE _______________________________THIN FILM
   RECORDING METHOD _________________________RLL (2,7)
   TRANSFER RATE (mbits/sec) ________________7.5
   SPINDLE SPEED (RPM) ______________________3,600
   AVERAGE LATENCY (mSEC) ___________________8.3
   BUFFER ___________________________________2 Kbyte
   INTERFACE ________________________________SCSI
   SECTORS PER DRIVE ________________________94,860
   TPI (TRACKS PER INCH) ____________________824
   BPI (BITS PER INCH) ______________________22,430
   AVERAGE ACCESS (ms) ______________________40/28*
   SINGLE TRACK SEEK (ms) ___________________8
   MAX FULL SEEK (ms) _______________________ /70
   MTBF (power-on hours) ____________________150,000
   POWER REQUIREMENTS: +12V START-UP (amps) _2.0
					   +12V TYPICAL (amps) __0.35
					   +5V TYPICAL (amps) ___0.9
					   TYPICAL (watts) ______9
					   MAXIMUM (watts) ______29
   BUFFERED STEP PULSE RATE (micro sec) _____3-200
   WRITE PRECOMP (cyl) ______________________N/A (616)
   REDUCED WRITE CURRENT (cyl) ______________N/A (616)
   LANDING ZONE (cyl)________________________AUTO PARK
   IBM AT DRIVE TYPE ________________________0 or NONE</P> <P>	   *ST157N-0/ST157N-1</P> <P>Seagate reserves the right to change, without notice, product 
offerings or specifications. (6/26/90)

oops..

Hi Ken-

I tried Sparta's HDFMTDIR.COM and after a couple of seconds, it gives me "Error Writing Sector" which I suspect is what MyDos is telling me with the error 163.

Hopefully others will have better luck with their 512-byte sector drives.

-Larry

oops..

Hi Ken-

I tried Sparta's HDFMTDIR.COM and after a couple of seconds, it gives me "Error Writing Sector" which I suspect is what MyDos is telling me with the error 163.

-Larry

Ive got 2 of them hooked up to my MIO right now that work fine.. an ST-138N and an ST-157N..

And since I set these drives up, Ive used them on several MIOs and they have worked fine..

The ST-296N (which you also said you had problems with) is a 256byte/sector drive.. Just like the ST-225N....

oops..

Hi Ken-

-Larry

Ive got 2 of them hooked up to my MIO right now that work fine.. an ST-138N and an ST-157N..

And since I set these drives up, Ive used them on several MIOs and they have worked fine..

The ST-296N (which you also said you had problems with) is a 256byte/sector drive.. Just like the ST-225N....

Yes, I certainly believe you. The 296N that I had may have had other issues -- got it used at a computer show. But this is (IIRC) the third time I've tried to get the 157N formatted and working with the MIO. It just isn't going to do it. Anyway, I've got MFM drives and bridge boards, so I'm still able to use the MIO when I want to.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

-Larry

Well, I started assembly on 8 more MIOs today...

Guess I'll add to this.

I've got patched firmware running on the stock MIO. Very alpha at this point and I haven't tried it with a lot of different types of newer drives, but as of right now I am successfully running on a Seagate ST118273LC (18.2GB SCA) with a 50 pin adapter. I have a few 16MB partitions I'm running with SpartaDOS 3.2 and X 4.42 and so far, so good. You can only read/write 128/256 bytes per sector at this point so you lose the extra capacity. Yes-- I'm shooting for native DD 512 to work with 4.42.

The formatter reported 2012048 sectors, which is pretty much the maximum without rewriting to use newer SCSI-2 CDBs, so assuming you used the entire 512-bytes per sector you're still capped at 1GB. So in reality you can only directly access about 500MB (with 256-byte sectors) out of the total. This is a limitation imposed on the way the software communicates with the drive, and can be fixed but will require major rewrites. Even without being able to use the entire capacity at the very least you shouldn't have to hunt down a 20 year-old obscure drive from eBay. The firmware has a few optimizations and now auto-detects the memory size (256K/1MB) so one firmware will work on either version.

See you in a bit.

Well, I started assembly on 8 more MIOs today...

Guess I'll add to this.

I've got patched firmware running on the stock MIO. Very alpha at this point and I haven't tried it with a lot of different types of newer drives, but as of right now I am successfully running on a Seagate ST118273LC (18.2GB SCA) with a 50 pin adapter. I have a few 16MB partitions I'm running with SpartaDOS 3.2 and X 4.42 and so far, so good. You can only read/write 128/256 bytes per sector at this point so you lose the extra capacity. Yes-- I'm shooting for native DD 512 to work with 4.42.

The formatter reported 2012048 sectors, which is pretty much the maximum without rewriting to use newer SCSI-2 CDBs, so assuming you used the entire 512-bytes per sector you're still capped at 1GB. So in reality you can only directly access about 500MB (with 256-byte sectors) out of the total. This is a limitation imposed on the way the software communicates with the drive, and can be fixed but will require major rewrites. Even without being able to use the entire capacity at the very least you shouldn't have to hunt down a 20 year-old obscure drive from eBay. The firmware has a few optimizations and now auto-detects the memory size (256K/1MB) so one firmware will work on either version.

See you in a bit.

That sounds like outstanding progress!

-Larry

post-8775-1231169758_thumb.jpg

Well, Sunday was rather productive. Warerat came over about 10am and stayed until about 9pm. We got most of the "mass soldering" done on 8 MIO boards. He also demo'd his new enhanced MIO firmware (v1.4 alpha) which appears to work perfectly with an 18gig Seagate SCSI-3 drive. As he mentioned earlier, current functionality only allows for about 500megs of useable capacity per drive, but this is enough for thirty-one 16meg partitions, and the current firmware only "keeps track" of a maximum of 8 partitions at a time, so this appears to be a very useful enhancement in terms of compatability, at least where newer seagate drives are concerned.

We tried the firmware with a Micropolis 1gig SCSI-2 drive, and were unsuccessful. This may be due to differences in vendor-specific support of "legacy" arbitration commands. We need ALOT more combinations of SCSI drives to try. If someone can help out here, please contact Warerat or myself. Also, if any existing MIO owners would like to help "alpha test" this enhanced firmware, please let us know.

Well, Sunday was rather productive. Warerat came over about 10am and stayed until about 9pm. We got most of the "mass soldering" done on 8 MIO boards. He also demo'd his new enhanced MIO firmware (v1.4 alpha) which appears to work perfectly with an 18gig Seagate SCSI-3 drive.

Awesome. :cool:

I've got a few old SCSI drives in the 1-4GB range I could try it with.