IGNORED

Satellaview Satellite System for SNES!?!?!?

I'm sure that some of you are familiar with the Satellaview for the super fami....I was at a rummage sale the other day and saw what appeared to be a Satellaview and decieded to pick it up...i saw that it was shaped differently and was slightly darker grey than the super fami unit..(more like snes grey)...i paid 2$ for it without the L shaped power adapter and without the BS X cart...but i brought it home and low and behold, it fits nicely underneath my snes and plugs right into the SNES "EXT" port on the bottom. this piece of hardware is obviously designed exclusivly for the SNES ...now obviously without the power adapter and without the BS X cart, i haven't been able to get it to do anything except baffle me and everyone that i tell about it...this is where it gets sorta wierd...I googled it and, nothing...ebay, nothing..other gaming strings, nothing....then i called nintendo of america, (as they were nice enough to put their 800 number on the bottom of this piece of hardware), and they told me that what i was describing to them didn't exist anywhere...they were able to give me plenty of info about the japanese satellaview, but according to them, there was never a US unit developed. does anyone know anything about this thing? I'm going to borrow my buddy's digital camera within the next day or 2 and i'll try to post images if you're interested. I was going to put this up for auction on ebay, but the more that i look into it, the more that it looks as if i've stumbled upon a priceless, one of a kind piece of vidgame history...Thank you all for your time and insight...maybe you can help shed some light on this peculiar piece of hardware.

IF it's actually intended for use in the US, it would be a prototype something-or-other.

There's no released products that used the expansion port.

Odds of it being a US Satellaview are nonexistant, as we had no signifigant satellite TV user base. A US equivalent of the Satellaview would have wound up on cable(like Sega Channel).

Without pictures, I'm inclined to believe it's nothing more than a discolored Satellaview.

He did say that it fit the snes though... so if it fit to its shape i dont see how it could be for the fami... they were relatively different sizes right?

He said that it fits under the SNES with the expansion port, not in the cartridge slot. I don't know specifics about the expansion port, but it's possible that Japanese things could fit in it. It was never used in the US. The BS-X cart wouldn't fit in the cart slot normally, though. However, there is a simple way to get Super Famicom games to fit in a US SNES cart slot....

Edited by BrianC

hey i found one not to lond ago at a flea market but i only had 10 bucks and the booth was outrageously priced(for super mario bros/duck hunt she wanted $7.00) they wanted like 30.00 for it i think....but it was also colored different than the fami version....of course it could have been the glass i was looking through

He did say that it fit the snes though... so if it fit to its shape i dont see how it could be for the fami... they were relatively different sizes right?

He said that it fits under the SNES with the expansion port, not in the cartridge slot. I don't know specifics about the expansion port, but it's possible that Japanese things could fit in it. It was never used in the US. The BS-X cart wouldn't fit in the cart slot normally, though. However, there is a simple way to get Super Famicom games to fit in a US SNES cart slot....

As I understand it, a US SNES will fit almost perfectly on top of a Satellaview. Don't have a Super FamiCom to compare directly to, but everything I've seen makes them look like they're very close to the same dimensions.

i just want to make sure, this thing has absoluely no use anymore right? lol... so if it doesnt do anything why would it be that much other than just collectablity...

Well, if you have a flash cart for the boot cart, and that flash cart has software saved on it, you can play the saved software. But the actual network is long gone, so without saved software it's useless.

I know you can buy cards with saved games.. like the sequal to fzero was on ebay, but those cards are just so expensive...

Only if they're properly identified and have known contents. If they're pitched as a random Gameboy game, or something similar, all bets are off.

Alright guys, I've found a little stuff about this, as wierd as it may be.. apparently what i have is a 3rd party Satellaview Clone..but at some point over the years someone for whatever reason put NOA stickers on the bottom of this machine including S/N and the NOA 800 number..I called NOA again and after finally getting them interested enough to let me talk to a supervisor, had them run the S/N that is on the bottom and it came back as an 8 bit NES that was produced in Aug. of 87'..(N18811020)...so. for whatever reason, someone peeled the stickers off of their NES and applied them to this 3rd party Satellaview...i guess that i'll just pack this baby up and put it in the box with my Super Fami Satellaview and chalk it up as 2$ well spent =).....It still baffles me as to why someone would go so far out of their way to make this Satella Clone look like a US unit..Wierd stuff huh?

Thanks for all your interest

Alright guys, I've found a little stuff about this, as wierd as it may be.. apparently what i have is a 3rd party Satellaview Clone..

Yeah, right... SURE you do.

It still baffles me as to why someone would go so far out of their way to make this Satella Clone look like a US unit..Wierd stuff huh?

Because the BS in this story DOESN'T stand for Broadcast Satellaview?

On the one hand the story makes no sense whatsoever but neither does pretending you've got such an unusual item...oh what to think, why do these exotic items keep landing in the hands of the last 20 people in america not to own a digital camera...its like the UFOs and the rednecks.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Yea the fact that he never put pics on here even after i reminded him is weird. Second I doubt it would be easy to take those stickers off without : A. ripping them and B. not noticing they were put on unproffesionally

As for finding this in real life, ive done research and found nothing to back up a 3rd party version, so yea.. bs.

If you have un photoshoped pics go on ahead, amaze us, if not... eeeeeeeehhh sorry.