IGNORED

NES Way of the Exploding Fist

flicky

Holy, freaking, crap.

Okay. I know nothing about mappers, but I saw the page had a compatability list. What percentage of NES games are we talking about wouldn't work? Since I already own every (original) US release, the point for me would be to play prototypes, PAL games, unreleased and homebrew games. If I'm plunking down $135 I've got to know I'll get my money's worth.

That said though, droooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Holy, freaking, crap.

Okay. I know nothing about mappers, but I saw the page had a compatability list. What percentage of NES games are we talking about wouldn't work? Since I already own every (original) US release, the point for me would be to play prototypes, PAL games, unreleased and homebrew games. If I'm plunking down $135 I've got to know I'll get my money's worth.

That said though, droooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

I know that some of the cool pirate games wont work (like Super Mario World), I'm sure there are many others.

• 2 months later...

I just spent the last hour or so reading through this thread, most interesting.

More time has passed now, any news on this?

I find it very interesting, The Way of the Exploding Fist was a game I grew up with. Quite a well-known title in Europe; C64, Speccy & co were huge here, and I think an NES version of Exploding Fist could have sold well even in 1989 here, and thanks to the homecomputer-heritage even gain some attention by th very anti-console older gamers at the time.

Too bad the prototype is NTSC and runs glitchy on modded systems, so even the repro will probably reach a low percentage of European players.

Anyway, I hope Andrew Davie will have his game soon; maybe you could build him a simple cartridge now and send him the box, label etc later seperately when it is released? The man has been waiting so long, give him something to play.^^

btw, I just saw you also were responsible for Asterix and the Magic Cauldron on C64; another game I played when I was just a little kid.^^ I never figured out where to go and wen in circles, but for me it was fun anyway. Thanks for one of my dearest childhood-gaming-memories, Andrew! :thumbsup:

Personally I am a friend of repros and always find it sad when an unreleased game is not made available to the public in some form; like Star Odyssey and Bill´s Tomato Game for the Genesis recently. :(

Moral issues are really everyone´s own concerns; the standards are too different. While on a legal level the company owning the copyright would be the ones to ask, I personally do not feel the slightest bit of guilt if they do not profit from it. The games are very old and outdated by today´s standards, and the companies themselve chose not to release it.

While I also do not think it is neccessary to get a programmer´s permission (the product itself does have some historical value and needs to be preserved), at least when the game in question is not a breathtaking revolutionary piece of fine art but "just" another game or even a port, I do appreciate it if they are contacted about it and given the possibility to get a copy for themselves and have some input in the release if they want. A human being just has a more legit connection to the game he crafted than some obscure entity such as a company, being merely a tool to gain profit.

If someone like Andrew Davie is so enthusiastic about it, he more than deserves getting the fruit of his work.

I think most developers would be happy to know their unreleased games finally see some kind of release and is enjoyed by a few people. Copyrights and royalities aside, it must feel so much better to see the baby you spent so much work on getting at least a little bit of appreciation rather than staying dead and rotting away never to be seen by anyone else´s eyes.

Andrew is a special case because he is so easy to reach because of his activity here. For the many other developers that have not been asked, partially because people don´t care, partially because they are not easy to find and contact, I am sure they will find out someday when they are bored and remembering old times via the magic of Google. And it will most likely rather put a smile on their face than make them angry.

Of course, these are my personal thoughts, and based on my felings of right and wrong; nobody has to agree with them.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Andrew MMC1 as far as he remembers.

Why Andrew doesn't have a cartridge is just retarded then causee MMC1 is pretty damn simple to reproduce on very common $1 NES donor carts. As in 10 minutes and the cart would be done and ready to send out in the mail to him. Anyone trying to say it takes more than 10 minutes to open an NES cart, desolider the old roms, burn the PRG anf CHR chips and solder them to the PCB and rewire a couple traces put the cart back together, heatgun the old label off, print then slap a new label on it either sucks at electronics or is a liar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone

I found this cartridge today:

nescart.jpg

I can't find any reference to this game in the NES list in the Digital Press Guide. I think it might be a prototype cartridge of a previously unreleased game. I've never seen a NES proto before, could this be one?

I found the cartridge here in the UK, and when I tried it on my UK NES, the title screen flashes (which is what usually happens with NTSC carts). The title screen states "Published by.." but then there's just blank space. The bottom of the title screen mentions Nintendo of America. So I think it's likely that it's NTSC format.

I believe that Beam Software programmed the 8-bit computer versions of this game, so it's plausible that they would have worked on a NES version. But until I can get access to a NTSC NES machine, or a suitable adaptor for my machine, I can't say how far they got with this.

If anyone's got any thoughts on this, that would be great.

Thanks

Jon

Disable the lockout chip on your NES. I've done this and all my NTSC games work perfectly