IGNORED

Can you change the 32 in 1 to be a 16 in 1?

PacManPlus

Being that the 32 in 1 is a 64K Eprom, is there a way to make it use 16 - 4K games instead of 32 - 2K games?

I would imagine, being that it jumps 2K at a time when you power it off and on, just putting 4K roms on there wouldn't be enough... Something would have to change physically on the cart to tell it to jump 4K instead of 2K?

Edited by PacManPlus

Being that the 32 in 1 is a 64K Eprom, is there a way to make it use 16 - 4K games instead of 32 - 2K games?

I would imagine, being that it jumps 2K at a time when you power it off and on, just putting 4K roms on there wouldn't be enough... Something would have to change physically on the cart to tell it to jump 4K instead of 2K?

Err.......

Edited

Not The Correct Answer

Edited by l3ushwig

I think the 32 in 1 is missing an address line on the cart connector, much like Combat carts. Don't quote me on that though. I can confirm that soon, I have a 32 in 1 coming.

Hey CPU:

The board I have has all pins shown (see pics below), and also a jumper (just below the bottom-right side of the socket), and a selectable resistor (to the left of the socket)... That's what made me think this is possible. I've tried both bottom jumpers, and moving the resistor a few different places... Nothing. :(

P.S. - How's that special eprom board coming along? - I have 8 chips named after a certain female waiting to be placed... :D

Thanks,

Bob

post-1787-1147472858_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1147472882_thumb.jpg

Hey CPU:

The board I have has all pins shown (see pics below), and also a jumper (just below the bottom-right side of the socket), and a selectable resistor (to the left of the socket)... That's what made me think this is possible. I've tried both bottom jumpers, and moving the resistor a few different places... Nothing. :(

It might help if we could trace out the circuit as much as possible. Can you get a picture with the chip removed from the socket to make a few more traces visible?

Hi,

you have a HEF4024BP counter on that board. It is responsible for

storing the game (bank) number. On that chip, there are outputs

O0 to O4 which can represent a bank (game) between 0 and 31.

I didn't check it, but O0 to O4 need to be connected to A11 to A15 on

the Rom chip.

The first step to be able to play 4K games would be to disconnect the

Roms A11 line from this counter and connect it to A11 on the edge

connector.

If you don't do anything else, you need to toggle the power switch 2 times

in order to be able to switch to the next game. There is no easy way to avoid

that. I think you would have to rewire the counter such that

O0 to O3 are connected to A12 to A15, which would probably not look very

nice on the pcb :)

Armin :)

EDIT: There is a little problem now, because the A11 line on the edge connector

is not connected. There is a pad, but no wire. If you look at the picture of

the top side of your device, it is the 5th pad from the right side :(

Its very hard (if not impossible) to contact this pad such that you can still plug the

cart into the Atari

EDIT2: If you want to use a 64K EPROM, you first have to make sure, that the

pinout of the chip on the 32 in 1 is really the same as for a 64K EPROM. If this

is not the case, you would probably have to make an adapter socket. Is there

a schematic for the 32in1 available ?

Edited by Kroko

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the replies! I have included more pics below. I used the other board, because the socket I had in the picture above is solid.

CPUWIZ / Kroko: I see the pad you are referring to that has no trace. Sorry I missed it before, when you mentioned 'like the Combat cart' I was expecting the cart connector pad to not be there at all. So when I saw it was there, I didn't look any farther :dunce:

Also, the other 32 in 1 I had did actually use a 64K eprom, and the board is the same as this one. So the pinout should be the same. :)

Thanks again...

post-1787-1147520505_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1147520529_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1147520547_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

You can use a heat gun to lift the pad with no trace up a bit, then dremil a small hole in the top of the pad. Use some strong (but thin) metal wire like on a cap or something and make a loop with it. Tie it tight with toe nail clippers or something then super glue the top of the pad backon the board and voila you have your trace :)

I know this as I have had to work with NES carts in the past that needed this exact same thing done. Final Fantasy 3 anyone??

EDIT: Also (obviously) you will have to use a 7800 shell after doing this patch job on the pad as the slide won't go over it very well and will most likely rip that partch job right off or the slide won't go over the PCB at all. Either way use a 7800 shell to save the headache.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

They didn't even leave a stub of the A11 pad? Dumbasses.

What you want to do is get some good old 30-gauge wire-wrap wire, strip just a tiny bit (a milimeter or so), tape it down in place, then solder it to the very top of the pad. That's the best way to hook it up.

Thanks for the tip, guys - that was it! (see pic below) :D

@Armin - you were right, though - I do have to turn it off and on twice to get it to go to the next game.

You guys are great! Thank you so much!

Just as a side note, these are the games I had put in the 64K eprom (temporarily; I might replace them with hacks) :)

Dodge' Em

Haunted House

Maze Craze

Megamania

Missile Command

Pac Man (I know - why?) ;)

Pitfall

Space Invaders

Video Pinball

Superman

Yar's Revenge

Adventure

Berzerk

Circus Atari (Joystick Version)

Circus Atari (Paddle Version - this one was actually an accident)

Defender

@Shawn - The 32 in 1 actually came with a 7800 style case, so I'm ok there ;) Still had to make a tiny notch in it for the wire, though.

At least we know now for the future :)

Thanks again

Bob

post-1787-1147564864_thumb.jpg

Now is there any way to make it so you only have to toggle the power once to get to the next 4k bank or is that impossible?

It should be possible maybe to cut the trace going to a15 (pin 1 on eprom I think) and connect the trace that was going a11 that you cut to a15. The order of the games will be different then how they are layed out on the eprom which if you care about you could reorder them before burning. The order they will select would be 1, 8, 2, 9, 3, 10, 4, 11, 5, 12, 6, 13, 7, 14, 8, 15.

Thanks again, everyone... I'll give that a try either today or tomorrow and let you know if it works.

@kenfused - I'm hoping you meant 1, 9, 2, 10, 3, 11, 4, 12, 5, 13, 6, 14, 7, 15, 8, 16 - because otherwise there is a game repeated and another left out ...

--- It's just so strange that the jumper pad just below the bottom-right corner of the eprom and the 'movable' resistor to the left of the chip isn't used for anything... I wonder why they are there? :-/

Edited by PacManPlus

YOU GUYS ROCK! - That was it! :D

Now, just so we have the complete instructions all in one place:

To use the 32 in 1 as a 16 in 1 cart:

1) De-Solder the existing ROM, and solder in a socket (in case you change your mind of what games you want to put on it). ;)

2) On the front of the board, cut the trace just above the hole in the center of the board as shown in the picture circled in red.

3) On the front of the board, attach a wire from the exposed solder pad to the right of where you cut the trace, down to the top of the edge connector, fifth in from the right (as shown in the picture).

4) On the back of the board, cut the trace that has the exposed pad just below the top row of socket pins as shown in the picture circled in red.

5) On the back of the board, run a wire from pin 1 of the eprom to pin 12 of the HEF4024 chip as shown in the picture.

6) Burn your eprom with your choice of 16 4K games, keeping in mind that if you string them all together sequentially, the order in which they will show up is: 1, 9, 2, 10, 3, 11, 4, 12, 5, 13, 6, 14, 7, 15, 8, 16.

That's it! You now have a 16 in 1 cart! :)

NOTE: Please keep in mind that you are now forced to use a 7800-style case to house this in, cutting a small notch inthe case to clear the wire.

post-1787-1147745321_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1147745340_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

It probably wont be pretty but...

The really ambitious could put a 27010 in the socket (the chip and 4 pins will be hanging out over the one cap so it may not fit very well). Solder 4 jumpers and get a 32 in 1 4K cart.

Ibelive I will be doing extactly that!! Great idea Kenfused!! I am gonna mix and match with 2 and 4k games and just doulbe up the 2k ones so they fill a whole 4k bank.

Hello!

Seems that i am a little bit late (as i usually only frequent the Lynx and jaguar forums),

but here is a link to my website with my own 32in1-to-16in1 hack:

My VCS-32in1-cartridge-modification

Best regards

Matthias