IGNORED

RPG Code Available...

Paul Slocum

Matt and Mike Chapman and I have come up with a different, simpler Homestar Game that I hope to start working on in the few months. So I'm going to offer my Homestar Runner RPG code to anybody who is interested in completing an RPG with it. The Homestar graphics will have to be removed, but it's a very complex, capable RPG engine that could be turned into a really cool game.

It has a scrolling tile map system, and allows the maps to be stored in a very efficient compressed form, which means huge maps by 2600 standards. It also has the ability for "doorways" that move between different map areas, and it can play music while the map kernel is running. I also have a partially finished inventory/status kernel, and a partially completed battle kernel.

The main thing I ask is that the core scrolling map system be kept in place. And I'd like to see my inventory and battle kernels used if possible since they took a lot of time to get working, and look pretty good.

And I should mention that this code is extremely complicated and touchy. This wouldn't be a good project for beginners. But it would sure be cool to see a working RPG come out of it. And I probably won't have time to finish it in the foreseeable future. Probably everybody has their own projects already, but I figure it's worth putting out there.

Screenshots and the demo binary are here:

http://qotile.net/rpg.html

-paul

Glad to hear a Homestar Runner game is in the works again. :)

Speaking of Homestar Runner, did you ever release the RPG demo shown at CGE 2003? That was the version where various HR characters are trying to figure out what RPG stands for. The graphics on that were fantastic.

Hi Paul,

Very interesting. I have been itching to do an RPG for the VCS. I want to focus on my 1K entry for the minigame competition, but after that I would be interested in having a go with your display engine. Do you have a way to see the combat kernel in the demo binary?

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by Robert M

Very interesting. I have been itching to do an RPG for the VCS. I want to focus on my 1K entry for the minigame competition, but after that I would be interested in having a go with your display engine. Do you have a way to see the combat kernel in the demo binary?

Have you considered 4A50 banking? I could probably supply you with a cartridge for development if you want, or you can use a CC2 or a modified Z26.

Have you considered 4A50 banking? I could probably supply you with a cartridge for development if you want, or you can use a CC2 or a modified Z26.

I will certainly have a look at it when I switch to the RPG project. I don't want to think about it right now. I need to stay focused on my 1K game if I am going to have any chance of meeting the end of the month deadline.

Cheers!

Rob

btw: I talked to brpocock about my code, but his tools and code are already too far along and would require too much rewriting to work with my kernel and stuff

For the record, (and halfwise I'm just posting so this thread shows up on "My Posts" now :)) I'm hoping to finish CiE more-or-less in line with its original schedule, and despite how primitive the test kernels might seem, most of the work there has been in the toolchain and Ursa script engines, so things should be moving along at a brisk clip now. I am thoroughly impressed with Paul's engine, though, definitely a different solution to the same "problem" but in many respects a more elegant one than mine. Different design constraints producing different results and all that.

Best wishes to anyone able to pick this up ... if it's "unclaimed" after CiE goes alpha I might be able to take a crack at it myself :)

The battle kernel is not in the demo. I've attached a screenshot.

It's intended to allow for 3 attacking enemies at once, and the most impressive part is that at the top of the screen it lists the 3 enemies with colored status indicators AND allows for a 16-pixel-wide bitmap image of one of the enemies to the right. This was extremely difficult to pull off since it has to continue displaying the bitmap between lines of text while it's building the next line of text in memory.

The middle part is supposed to display what's currently going on in the battle, and the bottom is your status and where you set up your next move. I had the idea to allow the user to set up their next move while the monsters were still executing their moves. This would make battles go faster. I also had it set up to allow you up to 3 moves per turn (depending on your stats vs. monster stats) since you only had one character.

Next week I'll try to clean up the code and I'll probably just post it.

-paul

post-630-1147576946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Slocum

• 1 year later...