IGNORED

Why, oh Why, am I NOT Surprised...

Atari Smeghead

I'm not sure if any of you have seen this month's PSM, Playstation magazine, but there's an article that may piss ya off.

Well, then again, if you're like me, you've come to expect this sort of bias, so perhaps it won't phase ya.

On page 76, there's an article about video game controllers, with a box entitled, "A Brief History of Button Mashing."

Ya know where I'm going with this, right? :roll:

They rated the Jaguar controller as the worst controller out there. They gave it a grade of "F." The only "F" they gave out.

Here's what they said: "Is it a controller or a keyboard? Created with seemingly no focus on any particular type of gameplay, this pad actually made it harder to play games. It will share the same sad fate as the Jaguar itself: unloved and forgotten."

Yeah yeah. We know, by now, that people either loved or hated the Jag controller, not to mention the Jag itself. I considered writing to PSM, but they don't care. My guess is, the reviewer never actually, oh I dunno, USED a Jag controller.

Just to give this article the proper weight, it rated the Sega Genesis and 3DO controllers a "D," gave the NES 2-button rectangle of a controler an "A" and gave the Xbox controller a "D." Oh, and the Playstation controllers??? Ya wanna guess? ;)

I'm off to play my "unloved and forgotten" system now.

Smeg

They're idiots whose bias shows with everything they say. The thing is, the Jaguar controller just looks large and bulky in pictures. In use, it's easy to use and comfortable. But then, they never had any intention of trying out one, they're just jumping on the 'bash the Jaguar' bandwagon. Everyone else says it's bad, so pass judgement on it without trying it out themselves. These writers need to be screened before they're hired, to get people intelligent enough to realise that all game consoles, companies, and software has it's good side and bad side.

Edited by SteveW

they should be reviewing the controllers that came with the system at launch, no 3rd party controllers, and no controllers released after the fact.

I like the Jag pad. I like the Saturn 3d pad and the Dreamcast pad. They're all close to the same size and shape. I wonder if they even tried using the Jag controller?

How did they rate the SNES controller? You know, the one that was blatantly ripped off to make the Playstation controller?

You probably shouldn't let magazine filler material like this bother you so much ... :) The Jag is an easy target. The 3DO controllers are just as bad if not worse, but since they're so conventional looking, they wouldn't make for a good visual joke like this.

Edited by Flojomojo

Just to give this article the proper weight, it rated the Sega Genesis and 3DO controllers a "D," gave the NES 2-button rectangle of a controler an "A" and gave the Xbox controller a "D." Oh, and the Playstation controllers??? Ya wanna guess? ;)

Smeg

I'd consider the Genesis controller the best of all time, but even non Sega fanboys should consider it at least a B.

The Xbox grade blows my mind. Were they perhaps talking about the original one?

Edited by Atarifever

I´m curious. Did they rate the Gamecube controllers and especially the Wavebird?

I'll work backward... :D

They didn't rate the Wavebird... only, as JF422 said, the launch controllers. They gave the Gamecube controller a "B" rating... "Probably N's best overall controller to date."

They rated 16 controllers in total... gave the classic Atari 2600 a "C" if you're curious. I was going to link the article from the PSM website, but they don't seem to have a working site. Interesting...

The Xbox grade blows my mind. Were they perhaps talking about the original one?

Yes, the "D" was for the original. Ironically, they rated the Xbox 360 controller the best, above the PS sticks, even.

How did they rate the SNES controller? You know, the one that was blatantly ripped off to make the Playstation controller?

An "A"

You probably shouldn't let magazine filler material like this bother you so much ... The Jag is an easy target. The 3DO controllers are just as bad if not worse, but since they're so conventional looking, they wouldn't make for a good visual joke like this.

That's true... in the picture on the Contents page, the Jag pad is prominently featured in the center. It draws the eye, to be sure.

All I know is, all my friends and family who have used the Jag controller (for either Jag games or as an A8 controller) have liked it just fine. And isn't that what counts? :cool:

Smeg

I think the reason the Jag Pad gets such bad reviews is because...well, people that review them never Used them.

The fact of the matter is, the Jag is one of the best controllers out there. It's one of the first that I'm aware of that's actually ergonomical, And the original 'Fattie' controller for the X-Box is the only one I've used that has come any where close to the Jag pad. Other than that, most controller aren't very well designed, just a remote with d pad and buttons, or are crazy shit like the N 64 or something.

But the Jag pads ruled

I think the Jag Pro Pad is prety good,

But the original Jag controller was not great nor bad, I just wonder how many games that were made for jag actualy used the # pad, a majority of the games I have it is used for a reset buton(which is cool).

People hate #s if Jag would of used letters then the controller would of been loved.

I won't defend the jagpad but why were you reading psm in the first place? That's one of the ragiest rags out there.

I got, like, a million year subscription to it when the Next Generation magazine bit the big one. They transferred the remaining 2 years over to PSM. I didn't mind that so much, since I have a PS2 in the family. But my brother didn't have a PS2 and they did the same thing to him. He was too lazy to complain.

I think the reason the Jag Pad gets such bad reviews is because...well, people that review them never Used them.

I get the same feeling... the reviewer probably took one look at it, maybe even went so far as to hold it in his hand for a moment, perhaps tried to use the number pad as if it were an integral part of the button-mashing process, and wrote his blurb of a review.

The fact of the matter is, the Jag is one of the best controllers out there. It's one of the first that I'm aware of that's actually ergonomical...

Yeah, it really was the first of the "made to fit in your hand" types... well, I guess if you don't count that Epyx joystick for the A8, 500XJ or something. But again, generally, love/or/hate is what the Jag pad induces from people.

People hate #s if Jag would of used letters then the controller would of been loved.

That's gotta be it!! The reviewer must hate phones!! He saw what he probably thought was a huge, 90's cell phone and had some horrible flashback of never getting calls from girls. It explains so much. :D

Smeg

Funny you should say that. The original Playstation controller was given a "B" and here's the blurb:

"Basically a Super NES controller in a more dangerous-looking shape. ...wasn't very original..."

I thought they were nuts until I looked at the pictures.

Smeg

I won't defend the jagpad but why were you reading psm in the first place? That's one of the ragiest rags out there.

I got, like, a million year subscription to it when the Next Generation magazine bit the big one. They transferred the remaining 2 years over to PSM. I didn't mind that so much, since I have a PS2 in the family. But my brother didn't have a PS2 and they did the same thing to him. He was too lazy to complain.

At least you managed to get 6+ years out of it. It is a silly waste of paper, though. Makes Nintendo Power look mature and balanced.

they should be reviewing the controllers that came with the system at launch, no 3rd party controllers, and no controllers released after the fact.

You would have to include the Sony DualAnalog/DualShock controller in your list of exclude. The original launch controller for the ps1 had no rumble and no analog.

Edited by Atari-Jess

• 2 weeks later...

I don't personally find the XBox controller (smaller S series?) perfectly comfortable, but it's never really stopped me from playing. Haven't played much in the past few months, though.

I think the Jag controller is nice, probably deserves a B. The SNES controller isn't too bad either, probably also a B. However, giving the original NES an A is ridiculous, that thing was blocky. There's nothing great about that one besides its simplicity.

P.S. Don't forget that different people react differently based on hand size, how hard they press, personal taste, and what button combos work best for them (e.g., re: fighting games, some people prefer SNES to XBox). Worst controller? I'd say PC mouse (way overrated interface, IMO ... when you whole OS depends on it for everything, you've got a problem).

Having a jag, having played it, and thus having used the jag controllers, I personaly don't like them. Find them rather bulky and uncomfortable to use, and forget trying to use the keypad for anything while playing, which a few games do require.

Dunno if I would rate it an "F", but it's sure ain't no winner in my book either.

I rather like the Jaguar controller and it's quite comfortable for me to use for hours on end. I can't believe they gave it an "F", that's just ludicrous. An "F" grade should have been reserved for controllers that cause your hands to cramp up quickly, like the 7800 controller, or just make many games on the system very difficult to play due to their design (such as the 5200 controller). The Jaguar controller is one of the best controllers Atari designed.

Sounds like they just have some sort of bias against the Jaguar. And the keypads on any controllers that have had them generally are not very easy to use when playing games (this includes the Intellivision, 5200, and ColecoVision), at least not without taking your eye off the screen to make sure you hit the correct button.

..Al

I rather like the Jaguar controller and it's quite comfortable for me to use for hours on end. I can't believe they gave it an "F"...

That gave it an "F" cause a Fucking idiot wrote the review that has most likely never even held a jag controller, MAn I hate that kind crap in mags :roll:

I very much like the jag controller, I have very big hands so for me it gets the job done and the weight of the controller is light. I never used the number pad but its not in my way and good to have if any games I play use it. I have not played my jag a lot with many games but liked what I have played and give the controller a B+ for comfort...

• 2 weeks later...

Their Is One thing to add to the plus of the Jag Controller got 3 of them they all work great no problems got out my N64 the other day and the Joystick in the middle will not center any more so went to Game Force and they told me all old N64 controllers do that and that the only solution is to buy one of the leftover controllers for hospitals(oversized) because it was new and still in the package.

So yeah for the Jag and its long lasting controllers.