IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on A8?

i can not tell you how many i have learned since i am started this project...

randomness in games, drawing mazes/dungeons, citiblock distance... ;) iso engines... plus plus plus...

i hope you have fun as well... :)

Me too!!! It's a very interesting thread! :cool:

i hope you have fun as well... :)

As an interested lurker, definitely. :cool:

I'd also like to say that you are all insane in the best way possible :D

I remember doing dungeon map algorithms for an older project, and for my Tunnels of Doom port that I was doing for the ST. Damn thing was like 80% complete, I wish I could find the source :(

PG. no its not defined yet. as it depends on the gfx if they look good or not... but i guess it will be 2x2 as otherwise the wall is no wall... ;)

what is defined that its unlikely that the player sprites will be formed out of PMG as i want to use PMG for gfx effects and other stuff.

and i know now how hard it was in the 70s 80s to write such games without the internet...maybe that's why many students wrote games because they had the machines and the knowledge f.e. at MIT etc?

and not to forget the long compile times without an emulator/cross assembler.

Btw - I use a 800XL with the new FreezerXL - which means I have still long compile times - but the real thing :D

and i know now how hard it was in the 70s 80s to write such games without the internet...maybe that's why many students wrote games because they had the machines and the knowledge f.e. at MIT etc?

and not to forget the long compile times without an emulator/cross assembler.

Btw - I use a 800XL with the new FreezerXL - which means I have still long compile times - but the real thing :D

The more it makes me wonder that people wrote software on a machine with a half speed CPU and a Floppy-Drive that allowes to drink a full bottle of coffee until something happened ;-)

Ofcourse the software was created and compiled on faster machines.

And btw: You guys are talking about "students" .... well... I never went to an University(because of lacking money ;-) nor I know a professional programmer.

The programs like "Admirandus" "XL-ST Schiffeversenken" , and some others before, are products by reading some Magazines and entering listings from them and learning from books, and there wasn't something like "internet" available in that time. Heck... I surely was the only "electrician apprentice" in 1984-85 who wrote software for visualizing the characteristics of the "dependings of the electric waveforms" ....

It was all for the cause of fun...

Edited by emkay

yeah. there were a lot of people (me either...) who are and were teaching the stuff themselfs... by reading magazine listing and books...

but... have a look at some brilliant atari games... it looks like big amount of people have a technical or engineering background... i mean 2600 programming without deep knowledge seems to me a miracle... ;)

and without maths & physik skills how can you write certain type of games?

yeah. there were a lot of people (me either...) who are and were teaching the stuff themselfs... by reading magazine listing and books...

but... have a look at some brilliant atari games... it looks like big amount of people have a technical or engineering background... i mean 2600 programming without deep knowledge seems to me a miracle... ;)

This... and they know each other... learning from each other. So people say "Jay Miner" was a genious. Set him (theoretically) into a village near the sahara... How far would he have gone there?

Or Bill Gates. He knew Gary Kildall who told him all necessary about OS-functionality....

and without maths & physik skills how can you write certain type of games?

Actually in my "apprentice time" I always had the best notes in maths and technical knowledge(physics). The teacher (assistant master) told me to study maths. Well, I spelled the formulas(algebra) before he wrote them on the blackboard.... :ponder:

Seriously... for the most games (like space invaders or Run'n'Jumps) on 8 bit computers you don't need deep knowledge about maths and physics. The restrictions are given by the machine and simple maths like "addition" or "multiplication" is needed. The "bit calculating" is self speaking.

Edited by emkay

Seriously... for the most games (like space invaders or Run'n'Jumps) on 8 bit computers you don't need deep knowledge about maths and physics. The restrictions are given by the machine and simple maths like "addition" or "multiplication" is needed. The "bit calculating" is self speaking.

What I am trying to say is that you have to be "trained" in coding and the used programming-language, to have real good results. Math and physics are "side" knowledge then.

Well... even the most complex 3D is "simple" geometric calculation with a relative position for each object. It only looks "huge", because todays Computers can handle thousands of them for one scene. And with a pre-defined library, the usage is repeating the same functions with different settings. Which means, you can always use the same "old" commands and routines....

i doubt that. think of some genres... look f.e.

rescue on fractalus

MULE

seven cities of gold

ultima

eastfront

etc...

they might look good from coding point of view but the engine behind that needs far more knowledge where coding is not the key point but the maths & physics.

hope you get my point here...

i doubt that. think of some genres... look f.e.

rescue on fractalus

MULE

seven cities of gold

ultima

eastfront

etc...

they might look good from coding point of view but the engine behind that needs far more knowledge where coding is not the key point but the maths & physics.

hope you get my point here...

The only Game here with really complex maths seems "Rescue on Fractalus".

And,yes, if someone tells me that the ball in "pinball dreams" needs heavy maths, I believe it.

Seven cities of gold may look complex but it inhabits simple "adding" of given values, MULE and Ultima, too. Eastfront I don't know.

The most work in MULE or 7CoG is to adjust the values to have recognizable parallels to the real thing. Which means knowledge about "marketing strategy" and "fighting strategy"....

emkay... i am not talking about the actual code... i am talking about the rules... look at mule source code and you see what i mean... and i am sure that 7 cities is looking simple but the game logic behind might be more complex as it looks on the surface... same to mule...

and all these rules together make the game fun... and the fun part is NOT what you get teached at school... but you must think in complex systems...

I tried to make some staircase graphics, but I realized that the stairs will overlay the floor, so again we have a problem with sprites/graphics priority. Anyone got an idea how to solve it? Perhaps to build the stairs into the walls. Or the stairs could only be in a corner.

post-6830-1151171248_thumb.png

To get back to a diablo-clone...

I notice many games tend to have the stairs going up embedded into the walls - Diablo 1 did this and 2 has this on some tilesets. Dungeon Master on the ST did this as well (admittedly, this was a first person view).

you guys could do me a real favour...

the PG gfx is set up in different tiles sizes, some 4x2 some 2x2 some 1x1...

sorry... i am too tired to figure it out... i tried charpad and envision to quickly get the wall tile correct sizes...so they can easily repainted and pasted...

i just see pixels in fron of my eyes... can some of you just give me the 4 different walls? just show me or mark them... simply i have to know the right offsets for the mapper... so i can adjust the routines for each tile (floor, wall1, wall 2 etc...)

thanks a lot!

you guys could do me a real favour...

the PG gfx is set up in different tiles sizes, some 4x2 some 2x2 some 1x1...

sorry... i am too tired to figure it out... i tried charpad and envision to quickly get the wall tile correct sizes...so they can easily repainted and pasted...

i just see pixels in fron of my eyes... can some of you just give me the 4 different walls? just show me or mark them... simply i have to know the right offsets for the mapper... so i can adjust the routines for each tile (floor, wall1, wall 2 etc...)

thanks a lot!

Is this what you need?

post-6830-1151358463_thumb.png

Edited by pseudografx

PG... i do not mean the raster 4x2 overlay over the picture but i would need the tile puzzles... ;) which you used to construct the whole scene. and i mean not the chars because i can load them into any char editor ;)

but it costs time to look at the picture and assume f.e. how i can easily draw a wall... without puzzling the stuff together... as far as i see as an example... the wall consists 2x4 chars...

this is important to know to define the rules how the mapper will paint the tiles correctly on screen...

PG... i do not mean the raster 4x2 overlay over the picture but i would need the tile puzzles... ;) which you used to construct the whole scene. and i mean not the chars because i can load them into any char editor ;)

but it costs time to look at the picture and assume f.e. how i can easily draw a wall... without puzzling the stuff together... as far as i see as an example... the wall consists 2x4 chars...

this is important to know to define the rules how the mapper will paint the tiles correctly on screen...

Heaven, you're always thinking tooooo complex.

When drawing a wall, you first need to draw the "lineup" of the walls. That's why I suggested, you should use the ATARI chars first for a better imagination. After the wall drawing is ok, someone may create a charset (in colour) that fits better to the gameplay.

Another impression:

To have the "orthogonal" aspect corrected in the ISO-3D view, two chars are needed (I used one)

The stairs are build by 3 chars.

And there is a "round corner" ...

Edited by emkay