IGNORED

Recommended DS Games?

Albert

I'm glad to say that I picked up a DS Lite last night along with several games! I was browsing Best Buy's site yesterday and saw that there was a new Best Buy here in Austin. Or at least I thought it was new, "Huh, I didn't know there was a store there." I drove out there, went inside, and it turns out the store OPENED THAT DAY. So they had a great stock of DS Lites as well as plenty of DS games. I was able to get the free Brain Age, and also picked up several other games there as the store was giving away $15 gift cards when buying $75 in video games. I ended up with two of those (bought some games, went out to my car, came back in and bought a few more). So that worked out quite well! :D

While I was out I also stopped at a few other stores, including a Sears Grand, Circuit City, Target, and Toys 'R' Us. Only one of the stores (Toys 'R' Us) had any discounted DS games, and only two at that, the Atari Retro collection ($9.95) and something else like "Touch the Magic" or something like that. So no luck finding any discounted games that have been mentioned in this thread.

I was up until 3am playing the DS last night and I must say it kicks ass! Some of the games I picked up:

- New Super Mario Bros.

- Brain Age

- Tetris DS

- Nanostray

- Metroid Prime Hunters

- Mario & Luigi Partners in Time

- Big Brain Academy

- Bust-A-Move

- Mario Kart DS

I've already had an opportunity to try out multiplayer games (single-card download) and it's very cool how that works. However, it looks like most games have limited multiplayer support unless each person with a DS has the game card. But still, it's great that most games offer this option.

I have not tried Wi-Fi gaming via the Internet yet. How do you go about finding other people to play on the net? I guess I need to break out the manual.

Physically, I like the form factor--it seems a bit smaller than the original Gameboy when it's folded shut. The white plastic case is nearly identical to the plastic shell used on my iBook. The screens are perfect, the best LCD screens that I've ever seen on a Nintendo portable. The buttons and D-Pad seem fine, although the Start and Select buttons are tiny. And having a stylus is very cool, although playing Metroid with the stylus is a bit awkward although it gives you great control over where you're looking (very similar feel to a mouse in that regard). A thumb strap seems like it would work better for Metroid. The stylus works great for other games, though, like Brain Age and Boggle, where you just drag the stylus over letters to form a word and when you lift the stylus up, the word is selected.

What kind of battery life are people getting on these? I haven't fully charged my DSL yet, but it's charging now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I know I'll get quite a bit more play out of this than my PSP (which I should sell--anyone interested? I have five or six games, all the original packaging, and a nice Logitech hardshell case.)

..Al

This topic is so funny to me. Why would you pick up a DS if you don't know which titles to pick up? lol.

Lemme copy and paste the info below from another thread.

Nintendo's Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

nds-osu-tatakae-jap.jpg

Pretty much it's a DDR like game using the Stylus. Not your type of game u say? It's not my type either yet I love THIS game. Plus it's from Nintendo, so there's certainly alot of quality to this. Easy to play, difficult to master.

Impressions: Link

Scan: Link

Youtube:

If you are wondering, yes all the menus are in japanese but if you been a gamer for at least 2 years, it will be simple enough to navigate. If not, there's a guide on Gamefaqs explaining the menus.

If you can, import this game. If you have a flashcart, try it out 1st. And pretty soon, Nintendo will make a sequel to this game in english. Trust me on this game :cool:

Yeah, Warioware touched was a bit of a dissappointment. Gotta do some ebay hunting for twisted.

This topic is so funny to me. Why would you pick up a DS if you don't know which titles to pick up? lol.

Because I knew there were some games I was interested in (such as New Super Mario Brothers), but wanted to hear what others were enjoying on the DS. Once word of the DS Lite got out a while back, I decided to wait for its release here in the US before diving in. And apparently many other people were, too, judging by how quickly they sold out!

..Al

Is it really that popular? I had no trouble getting one from the local Target. They had five or six systems behind the case!

The DS seems to be extremely "regional" in its popularity. Here in northern Texas, I went to Circuit City on Tuesday (after Sunday's launch) to pick up a case for my DS Lite. The salesgirl said "Is this for that new DS Lite? We haven't sold a single one of those yet."

I don't know a single other person that owns a DS/Lite who is older than 14 ... and those have one only because their parents buy them every new video game system. They all prefer their GBA/SP.

From what I've read, other areas of the country seem to be captivated with the DS Lite, selling out quickly and people carrying them everywhere.

I just got brain age and I'll tell you how that turns out. As far as the lite goes I played one at target when picking up some games. It lives up to the name but I don't have any real desire to buy the same system over again. Since I never had any complaints obout the classic DS.

I like the look of the Lite but I find the original more comfortable to hold.

I gotta recommend Animal Crossing: Wild World because no one else has. For me, it's the killer app. Not really a game per se, but a totally engrossing experience nonetheless and perfect for the dual screen, handheld format.

Also, any new DS owner should try to pick up a cheap copy of Project Rub (or Feel the Magic, as I think it's called in US). A great introduction to the system and a lot of fun.

Besides the screens being nicer, Am I the only person that's not impressd with the DS Lite and prefers the original DS?

I've used the original DS, but only briefly. I much prefer the smaller size of the Lite, and the improved screens make a big difference in my opinion. I've used it for hours and it seems comfortable enough.

The DS seems to be extremely "regional" in its popularity. Here in northern Texas, I went to Circuit City on Tuesday (after Sunday's launch) to pick up a case for my DS Lite. The salesgirl said "Is this for that new DS Lite? We haven't sold a single one of those yet."

Just the opposite is true here in Austin, Texas. All the Best Buys quickly sold out of them, and the Best Buy I went to on Friday that just opened that day also quickly sold out. I bought mine, went to the car, went to a few other stores in the same plaza, went back to buy more games and saw the last three go out the door (after the salespeople scoured the back for them, since the computer said they had three and the store JUST opened that day so they knew the inventory was reasonably accurate). The other stores I went to I either saw no DS Lites or maybe just one or two sitting in a glass case.

Interestingly, I went to a CompUSA and it seems they are not going to sell portables any longer--they only had a few older DS games (and a bunch of older Gameboy Advance games), and not very much PSP either (tons of PSP movies they probably can't get rid of). The games were discounted a bit, but not very much.

..Al

Is it really that popular? I had no trouble getting one from the local Target. They had five or six systems behind the case!

I don't know a single other person that owns a DS/Lite who is older than 14 ... and those have one only because their parents buy them every new video game system. They all prefer their GBA/SP.

From what I've read, other areas of the country seem to be captivated with the DS Lite, selling out quickly and people carrying them everywhere.

here in chicago, they sell rather well.. it puts the overhyped psp to shame :) my store cant ever keep the ds in stock

Besides the screens being nicer, Am I the only person that's not impressd with the DS Lite and prefers the original DS?

i prefer the original ds as well..sure the ds lite is a good idea but unneccessary, seriously, the original ds dosent weigh THAT much..my 4 year old neice has hers everywhere she goes..and she dosent gripe about it ... i got the ds light, to see what the fuss was about. newsflash its the same thing! i sold mine on ebay a few days later and am happy with my original ds..

also, the screen on the original ds is great..i dont know why people had issues with it..the game boy screen was bad..not the ds. the ds is the new game boy now

also, the screen on the original ds is great..i dont know why people had issues with it..the game boy screen was bad..not the ds. the ds is the new game boy now

Well I have no problems with the original DS other than the brightness of the screens... they ARE brighter than my original SP (though not as bright as the new SP) -- which is the main reason I BOUGHT the DS in the first place (of course the new games were a factor :) ) -- but in general there are two times of day when I play the DS -- in bed at night (no problem) and on the train to and from work, and unless it's really overcast, I usually can only BARELY see the screens when I'm on the train, the touch screen being harder to see than the top screen.

One thing I really liked about the screen on my old SP was that when you were outside in bright sunlight, if you angled the screen right (so as not to glare sunlight directly into your retinas!), the screen actually became VERY bright, with much better color saturation than you ever got from the so-called "backlight." Unfortunately the DS screens are not as reflective in that way, so no matter how I angle it, if the sun's out, I can't really see it very well at all. :(

Edited by Room 34

I prefer the buttons on the lite to the original for sure. They arent as flat and stiff like the orignal DS. It's also not nearly as ugly IMHO. The lack of a thumb strap is the only thing that sucks about the DSLite. I took care of that by ordering one from Nintendo. It was here in 2 days :)

Yesterday I picked up a game called "Lost Magic".

First of all, if you think it's an RPG, it really isn't. It's actually an RTS with RPG elements. The magic system is kind of nifty, using the R button + stylus gestures, but you don't get to use any weapons yourself. You can have three groups of monsters under your control, and they get to use the items you find, but if the bad guys get to you, you're toast. Running away doesn't help much at that point, because you stand still while casting magic, and at least in the early phases of the game, you only get single-target spells, so two enemy monsters ganging up on you is certain death.

I've found it to be a very difficult game. You have to herd around your own monsters, keep them from dying, keep track of your own magic and hit points, and if that wasn't bad enough, the levels are timed. It's easy to get overwhelmed, especially when you have to worry about stuff that's just off the screen (you have to scroll the map around manually; there isn't any autoscroll). And there isn't a chance to buff up on random encounters, because as near as I can tell, there aren't any. You don't get to repeat battles to buff up either.

I didn't try the wiffy connection other than to get it set up (I had a problem with my DHCP server as mentioned in the error 52000 thread), but apparently all you can do is fight PvP battles using your own character or one from a preset list of characters. I didn't see any indication of a cooperative link mode. While such a thing would be fun, it would probably screw up the game balance to have more people in control fighting the battles.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/703/703617p1.html

I pretty much agree with the IGN review, and now I see that there is a way to buff up, using the PvP mode with your saved character. I might also add that there is an annoying delay between levels, presumably to uncompress a shedload of data.

Just the opposite is true here in Austin, Texas. All the Best Buys quickly sold out of them, and the Best Buy I went to on Friday that just opened that day also quickly sold out.

Hmm ... maybe it's just my silly little town, then.

I also hit Best Buy here yesterday, and found Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Kirby's Canvas Curse and Lost In Blue on the shelf along with a ton of other games I haven't seen at the big box retailers. They also have nearly all of their original shipment of Metroid Prime: Hunters which I heard others were having a hard time finding when it came out. No one seems to care here, though.

The more I play it the more I question brain ages lasting appeal.

I know. Like, am I getting smarter or just better at the games it presents?

Personally I can handle games that force you to play everyday to keep up. Once I missed playing Brain Age for three days in a row and you not only feel guilty, but what you've worked toward is effectively lost just because you couldn't fill your gaming obligation.