IGNORED

Why is Air Raid worth so much

Mr. Postman

when everyone knows it's just another hack pirate cart? Is it because it's a super rare hack? ;)

Trust me, if anyone appreciates a pirate cart it's me. Personally I'd pay $30 for this cart any day of the week if there was no demand for it, but I don't get why everyone else is so hot for it? Is it the snazzy blue casing? :love: :D

A hack? a pirate cart? not likely.

look here for info:

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html...wareLabelID=972

Between the cheesy bootleg style label on the cartridge that doesn't even mention the game's name, the strange casing, and the 100% stolen sound effects from Space Jockey what makes you believe it isn't a pirate hack?

Something tells me that "Men-A-Vision" doesn't own the rights to Space Jockey...

If this game isn't a pirate cart I'll eat my hat.

A hack? a pirate cart? not likely.

No, definitely a pirate! According to CloneSpy Air Raid shares about 33% of code with Space Jockey.

Man, I completely read that wrong. I thought it was 56%. It has to do with what side of the intersecting dotted line it falls on right Thomas? I think you said before it the dot is where the game is comparing it to itself.

(2/18)									  ►   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

0 Time Race (Goliath) (PAL) [!]·············   · 58 58 74 74 50 50 49 50 50  -

1 Gefecht im All (Starsoft) (PAL) [!]·······  48  · 99 84 84 55 55 55 55 55  -

2 Time Race (Rainbow Vision) (PAL) [!]······  48  =  · 84 84 55 55 55 55 55  -

3 Space Jockey (32-in-1) (Atari) (PAL) [!]··  37 40 40  · 99 60 64 65 69 69  -

4 Space Jockey (1982) (PAL) [p1][!]·········  37 40 40  =  · 61 64 66 69 69  -

5 Console Wars (PD)·························  26 27 27  =  =  · 89 86 89 89 31

6 Space 2002 by Angelino (Space Jockey Hack)  26 27 27  =  =  =  · 88 94 94 32

7 Space Jockey (1982) (Carrere Video) (PAL) ► 26 27 27  =  =  =  =  · 94 94 30

8 Space Jockey (1982) (US Games) [o1]·······  26 27 27  =  =  =  =  =  · 99 32

9 Space Jockey (1982) (US Games) [!]········  26 27 27  =  =  =  =  =  =  · 32

10 Air Raid (Men-A-Vision)···················   -  -  -  -  - 56 56 52 56 56  ·

Man, I completely read that wrong. I thought it was 56%. It has to do with what side of the intersecting dotted line it falls on right Thomas? I think you said before it the dot is where the game is comparing it to itself.

It's a bit complicated. Space Jockey is 2k while Air Raid is a 4K game. So "something" has been added to the Space Jockey code. Therefore Space Jockey contains "only" 33% of the Air Raid code, while Air Raid contains 56% of the Space Jockey code.

It's a bit complicated. Space Jockey is 2k while Air Raid is a 4K game. So "something" has been added to the Space Jockey code. Therefore Space Jockey contains "only" 33% of the Air Raid code, while Air Raid contains 56% of the Space Jockey code.

I thought about this for a couple of minutes and I *think* I understand. When you expand a game from 2k to 4k you split it in half and then add more to it while it's expanded. Space Jockey is 2K so Clonespy looks only through the first 2k bank of the 4k Air Raid and pulls up 33%. When Clonepsy compares Air Raid to Space Jockey it reads all 4K of it and finds more code that is the same.

Is this on the right track?

I thought about this for a couple of minutes and I *think* I understand. When you expand a game from 2k to 4k you split it in half and then add more to it while it's expanded.

Right.

Space Jockey is 2K so Clonespy looks only through the first 2k bank of the 4k Air Raid and pulls up 33%.

Nope, Clonespy always checks the whole file. But here the 2nd 2k bank of Air Raid will contain all new code, so it won't find a loot of code matches there.

Imagine this:

Air Raid contains the whole Space Jockey code plus 2k of all new code. Therefore Space Jockey would contain exactly 50% of Air Raid code and Air Raid would contain all 100% of Space Jockey code.

Reality is a bit different of course, but even the 2:1 ratio is about true here (56:33).

I thought about this for a couple of minutes and I *think* I understand. When you expand a game from 2k to 4k you split it in half and then add more to it while it's expanded.

Right.

Space Jockey is 2K so Clonespy looks only through the first 2k bank of the 4k Air Raid and pulls up 33%.

Nope, Clonespy always checks the whole file. But here the 2nd 2k bank of Air Raid will contain all new code, so it won't find a loot of code matches there.

Imagine this:

Air Raid contains the whole Space Jockey code plus 2k of all new code. Therefore Space Jockey would contain exactly 50% of Air Raid code and Air Raid would contain all 100% of Space Jockey code.

Reality is a bit different of course, but even the 2:1 ratio is about true here (56:33).

Gotcha! Now I really do understand you. There's more of Space Jockey in Air Raid as it contains all the code plus it's new code, and less of Air Raid in Space Jockey as the new code make the game bigger and it's what % of that game is in the other. If Air Raid had been 8K then only 25% of it's code would be in Space Jockey, while 100% of Space Jockey would still be in Air Raid.

I don't really get it myself...

Don't get me wrong, I understand the market value of the game and the supposed reasons behind it... but I still dont get it.

I've always been an extreemly kosher collector, collecting Atari brand products almost exclusively. (with the exception of Activision, and of course other "kosher" brands like Nintendo, Sega, etc.)

My love was always for "Atari" as a marque first, and then "classic gaming" second. My interest was in Atari and their immensely pioneering spirit of creative video entertainment and innovative leisure. There was just something about the company itself, their wonderful products, and that moment in time, which can never be re-created.

So thats where Air Raid comes in. Yes, I get that there aren't many around, but neither is Space Treat Deluxe. It's a quirky foreign pirate game with a really queer cartridge design, but not much story. I simply do not understand the appeal of the game at any level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to plunking down huge amounts of money on an Atari collectable. God knows I've been searching for a translucent 7800 for going on ten years. If it was a JagVR, a Panther, an RC 2600, maybe a 5200 jr., heck even a really awesome prototype cartridge, I could totally justify the expense and write it off in my mind without a problem. Even Atari Video Cube or Chase the Chuckwagon I could do, AVC is "kosher" and has an interesting story through the Atari Video Club and Chuckwagon has one of the most interesting stories in gaming history. I could justify games like those to myself in my mind. But not something like Air Raid. It has no Atari sparkle. It's just some randomass cartridge.

The bottom line for me, if I came across an Air Raid at a flea market the ONLY reason I would pick it up (at a flea market price) would be to bring it back here and make it available to one of you AtariAger's desperately seeking an Air Raid. If it wasn't for this website and its wonderful community, I'd honestly have to say I'd skip past it and by an extra Centipede or Pole Position or Mario Bros.

Call me nuts, but Air Raid is lost on me.

Might that be better rephrased as: 33% of the code in Air Raid is identical to some parts of Space Jockey's code, but 56% of the code in Space Jockey is identical to some parts of Air Raid's code. :?

Air Raid has come down a bit in value. If I could find one cheap I would still pick one up but it would be about the only PAL cart in my collection.

It's probably NTSC, actually, but has more scanlines than normal so it rolls on some TV's.

Might that be better rephrased as: 33% of the code in Air Raid is identical to some parts of Space Jockey's code, but 56% of the code in Space Jockey is identical to some parts of Air Raid's code. :?

Yup, but where's the difference? :?

Air Raid has come down a bit in value. If I could find one cheap I would still pick one up but it would be about the only PAL cart in my collection.

It's probably NTSC, actually, but has more scanlines than normal so it rolls on some TV's.

SIF = 240 scanlines

NTSC = 480 scanlines, 60Hz

PAL-M = 525 Scanlines, 60Hz (PAL-M exists only in Brazil and Laos)

PAL/SECAM = 576 scanlines, 50Hz

In general I've never had an NTSC television that wouldn't Play PAL-M games, but it wouldn't surprise me that there would be many that couldn't display them properly. It's a common mistake that people make assuming that PAL-M and NTSC are the same. Even here on our own Atariage.com, the site claims that NTSC is 525 scanlines as opposed to the 480 that it is and also claims that PAL is 625.

Is there something I'm not understanding? You learn something new everyday so please fill me in if I'm mistaken. :)

Edited by ResOGlas

NTSC = 480 scanlines, 60Hz

PAL-M = 525 Scanlines, 60Hz (PAL-M exists only in Brazil and Laos)

PAL/SECAM = 576 scanlines, 50Hz

Maybe you are confusing visible with total scanlines here. NTSC has 525 total scanlines, PAL 625, PAL-M 525 too.

Really?? Like I said, you learn somethin' new everyday. :)