IGNORED

UK Atari Jaguar information required

Parris1972

Hi,

I am an avid console fan & gamer. I've had a few Atari units in my time, but recently bought an Atari Jaguar at a car boot sale without a PSU, RF cable or any software titles. I.e. for £3.50 I got the console and joypad, which working or otherwise is a bit of a bargain. If it's not working then perhaps I will be able to fix it - £3.50 seems a worthwhile gamble!

Firstly, I've had a look at the hardware section of Atari Age and tried to read the correct PSU voltage and polarity for the UK console. Judging by the little sticker on the image I assume it's 9v DC, is this correct?

Secondly, when I applied 9v DC to the console using a standard power adaptor from Maplins, nothing happened. The little LED on the front of the Jaguar didn't light up. Do you need to insert a cartridge into the slot before anything would happen or have I bought a dead unit?

Any advice on this and probable solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Parris

Judging by the little sticker on the image I assume it's 9v DC, is this correct?
Yes. But be extra careful with the polarity : the outside of the plug should be POSITIVE (most power adapters use the other convention). Getting it wrong WILL toast your Jaguar (it's usally repairable though, but a bit tricky if you're not experienced with a soldering iron).

Also check that the power adapter is able to provide enough current (the original one is rated for 1200 mA).

Do you need to insert a cartridge into the slot before anything would happen or have I bought a dead unit?
Yes, you need to have a cartridge inserted for anything (even the power LED) to work. Edited by Zerosquare

Check out ebay to see if there are any AC Adaptors on there would be my first suggestion. I got a spare one from Telegames a while back but they don't seem to have them listed any longer but you could always ask.

Thanks for that - I just wanted to verify whether using another PSU would have any significant effect as I have never come across this particular console in such a long time that I can't remember it's tech spec.

I'd be buying another Jaguar if this one is dud, but any further advice on where (if there are) any surface mounted fuses would also assist. I can't find any parts on the motherboard that appear damaged, burnt out, but with SMD's you just never know where to begin.

It's currently in a state of no power up when I apply 9v DV - is this the correct voltage etc?

Does power get to the board without a cartridge begin inserted? I have come across one or two consoles in my time that gave no signs of life prior to a game being inserted?

Thanks folks!

Hello,

I am an avid console fan & gamer. I've had a few Atari units in my time, but recently bought an Atari Jaguar at a car boot sale without a PSU, RF cable or any software titles. I.e. for £3.50 I got the console and joypad, which working or otherwise is a bit of a bargain. If it's not working then perhaps I will be able to fix it - £3.50 seems a worthwhile gamble!
Blimey, if it works, you indeed have a bargain, Jag prices are going mad!

Firstly, I've had a look at the hardware section of Atari Age and tried to read the correct PSU voltage and polarity for the UK console. Judging by the little sticker on the image I assume it's 9v DC, is this correct?
Yes, my UK one is Model: 4829-0912-4DC. Atari P/N 500387.

Input 240V~50hz, 9V DC, 1.2A, 10.8VA. The adapter plugs direct to the wall.

I also found that a Sinclair ZX Spectrum PSU works, for example, if required!

Be VERY careful of trying substitutes. (An NES PSU kills a Jaguar instantly!)

Secondly, when I applied 9v DC to the console using a standard power adaptor from Maplins, nothing happened. The little LED on the front of the Jaguar didn't light up. Do you need to insert a cartridge into the slot before anything would happen or have I bought a dead unit?
Yes, you need a cartridge inserted, or the Jaguar does nothing. Protection!

Note also that if the contacts on the cartridge slot is dirty, or the cartridge

edge connector is dirty, the Jaguar deliberately shows a red screen. That

is NOT a faulty Jaguar, it's cartridge bit-wise verification, and anti-piracy.

(If a single bit of a single byte on any cartridge ROM is wrong you see red!)

Any advice on this and probable solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Ask away, lots of UK Jaguar fans here, so no problem.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Blimey, if it works, you indeed have a bargain, Jag prices are going mad!

I sold my previous Jaguar a long time ago for next to nothing (with about 8 games) as it was (at that time apparently unappreciated - the RETRO scene didn't exist at that time, so perhaps this is fate!

Yes, my UK one is Model: 4829-0912-4DC. Atari P/N 500387.

Input 240V~50hz, 9V DC, 1.2A, 10.8VA. The adapter plugs direct to the wall.

I also found that a Sinclair ZX Spectrum PSU works, for example, if required!

Be VERY careful of trying substitutes. (An NES PSU kills a Jaguar instantly!)

Ah, okay I'll need to find an original in that case. I have a NES PSU here and I was tempted, but thank you very much for the word of warning. I have a ZX Spectrum, but it is working off a Maplins substitute PSU (wallwart type with slider selection for voltage and AC / DC switch), which when tried on the Atari I got nothing, but I have no carts to insert.

Yes, you need a cartridge inserted, or the Jaguar does nothing. Protection!

Note also that if the contacts on the cartridge slot is dirty, or the cartridge

edge connector is dirty, the Jaguar deliberately shows a red screen. That

is NOT a faulty Jaguar, it's cartridge bit-wise verification, and anti-piracy.

(If a single bit of a single byte on any cartridge ROM is wrong you see red!)

Okay, just to clarify, does that also mean that the little green LED will NOT light up either until a cartridge is inserted and power applied via the correct PSU?

I vaguely remember an Atari Jaguar logo appearing on the screen of my original Jag. If I remember rightly it was a cube, with a Jaguar skin on it, with the red Atari logo etc. Am I making this up?

When I applied power, that was what I expected on the screen even without a cart (I am too used to using more modern consoles obviously). So, none of that is to be expected until I can find the correct PSU I assume. I'd be gutted to buy one, invest in a few carts and then discover it was a dead machine, but hey!

Ask away, lots of UK Jaguar fans here, so no problem.
- Does anyone know of anywhere I can obtain a PDF copy of the Jag manual and diagnostic charts?

Thanks JustClaws!

Parris

Brilliant news re the not powering up of PAL version without a cartridge inserted and the hyperlink to a supplier! I appreciate this greatly...

...now the more pressing question!

Can anyone recommend their (own opinion) favourite software title for the Jaguar. I only remember Myst and Cybermorph, neither of which I really thought much off. I am more of a MDK2 (Dreamcast) or X-men Legend (Xbox) man myself.

Hello again,

Ah, okay I'll need to find an original in that case. I have a NES PSU here and I was tempted, but thank you very much for the word of warning. I have a ZX Spectrum, but it is working off a Maplins substitute PSU (wallwart type with slider selection for voltage and AC / DC switch), which when tried on the Atari I got nothing, but I have no carts to insert.
Yes, get an original, but I'd be confident that Maplin PSU would work!

(Once you get a cart...)

Okay, just to clarify, does that also mean that the little green LED will NOT light up either until a cartridge is inserted and power applied via the correct PSU?
Absolutely - the Jaguar cartridge actually completes the PSU circuit when inserted.

In fact, on inserting the cartridge, you can't really tell if the Jaguar is on or off...

I vaguely remember an Atari Jaguar logo appearing on the screen of my original Jag. If I remember rightly it was a cube, with a Jaguar skin on it, with the red Atari logo etc. Am I making this up?
Yes, that Jaguar has a cool boot-up, falling 3D Atari text, then the spinning cube.

Most important of all, unless you have a JagCD installed, you also get a ROAR! :D

(That internal Jaguar ROM validates each cartridge, then starts the cartridge up,

but it does not come into action unless a cartridge is installed, to make a circuit.)

When I applied power, that was what I expected on the screen even without a cart (I am too used to using more modern consoles obviously).
The Jaguar behaves similarly with the JagCD installed, as that is effectively a big cart!

Cheers!

JustClaws.

Welcome to the world of Jaguar gaming.

Just a couple of points...

1) The original Jaguar PSU is regulated, if you want to use a non Atari PSU I would recommend that you get one that has a regulated output.

2) Not that you thought much of it anyway but Myst is a CD game and so you would need the CD unit to play it.

Finally, if you are looking for UK source of Jaguar related items other than e-bay you could try Direct 4 Entertainment (Telegames) or 16/32 Systems, you could even save a few pennies on postage by purchasing from 16/32 Systems in person if you can make it to a JagFest.