IGNORED

What was the first 2600 game you had to "earn".

Mr. Postman

"What was the first game you took with you to the toilet?"

"Which game's box was the first one you dribbled ice-cream onto?"

"What was the first game you wiped your ass with?"

"Which game was the first one you carried with you, wherever you went?"

"What was the first game, that scared you?"

1) Probably a Nomad game. I'll guess that it was Williams Arcade Classics.

2) I've never dribbled icre cream onto a game.

3) Games aren't very good toilet paper.

4) The closest match for this question would be the Midway Classics collection for the PSP.

5) I can't really think of any game that has really scared me.

"What was the first game you glued to your forehead?"

"Which was the first game you took into the shower with you?"

"Name the first game that you smeared peanut butter on!"

I think it was Space Invaders. I figured I'd address al three of these questions since it was the same episode. Why I chose to glue Space Invaders to my forehead with peanut butter? That's another story. The shower was to wash off the peanut butter.

j/k. Why I thought this reply was so funny, I do not know.

"What was the first game that made you so mad, you threw it at a friends head?"

"Which game did you destroy, because you thought it sucked?"

"What was the first game that stopped working?"

1) I can't recall ever throwing a game at someone. Controllers, on the other hand...

2) I remember crumbling up and burning some old Mastertronic C64 disc game I bought for $2.

3) The only game that I've owned from day 1 that has stopped working is Romance of the Three Kingdoms II for the Genesis, and it still technically works. it just doesn't save data anymore.

I've had an Apple IIc die on me. Does that count?

For those of you whom were kids during the 2600 era, what was the first game you had to earn?

My brother, sister and I scoured the neighborhood & surrounding areas for aluminum cans and glass soda bottles. The cans went to the recycle center and the bottles to the stores for the deposit.

After a couple months we had enough to buy Adventure. We purchased other games that way too, though I don't recall what they were.

"What was the first game you glued to your forehead?"

"Name the first game that you smeared peanut butter on!"

"What was the first driving game you dropped into the toilet?"

"Which was the first game that gave you the shits?"

"What was the first game that your grandma liked?"

1) Uhm....

2) Nope, I haven't ever showered with any.

3) I've never done it myself, but a friend of mine who does maintenance on game consoles says that it isn't too uncommon for him to take apart a game system and find peanut butter smeared inside.

4) I thought about doing it with Mario Kart for the N64, but I decided to return it instead. (It was a rental.)

5) Most of Shingeru Miyamoto's games make me want to vomit. Does that count?

6) My great grandmother liked Super Breakout. She was bedfast and when I first got my 5200 I had to hook it up to her TV. It was one of the few games she watched me play for any period of time.

"What was the first game, that scared you?"

When I was a kid, loud noises scared me, so several Atari games that had a lot of loud explosions or noises (like Atlantis, Astrosmash, etc.) scared me off sometimes.

For a real scare, though, I think the first game that truly scared me was Uninvited on the NES. I remember actually closing doors behind me!

And now for my contribution:

"Where did you buy your games?"

My Atari 2600 was purchased near the time when Woolco was going out of business. I remember visiting that store frequently and window shopping for games. They also had a Bally Astrocade demo unit which I played Muncher on. I think they had an Intellivision demo unit too. So, I'd play games while mom shopped. Oddly, the only game I can recall ever getting there was Adventure.

A big part of the early 80s was the weekly trip across town to the mall for a goodie. There were the typical chains: Kaybee and Circus World. We also had a little place called The Game Peddler which sold videogames, boardgames, role playing games, and the rubiks style puzzles so popular at the time. I distinctly remember getting Asteroids from Circus World, and Demon Attack and Star Voyager from The Game Peddler.

Sears was another mall stop and they had demo units to attract the kiddies to play. When Pac-Man was coming out my aunt agreed to go on a date with a stockboy so that I could get the game a couple of days early.

Dillards was where I'd stare in awe at the Odyssey 2 and Quest for the Rings. I don't recall ever buying any games there.

The final mall stop was Service Merchandise. I don't remember getting many games from there, but I think a few of my 5200 games and Space Invaders for my 2600 were purchased from them.

Later, quite a few of my games were bought at Target. My aunt liked to shop there, and she was a soft touch when it came for begging for a game.

My mom bought an Adam computer from Montgomery Wards. That used to be a favorite place for my family to buy stuff.

I bought one game at Winns, Night Driver. They weren't good at stocking any 2600 games worth buying. Ironically, their disinterest in stocking titles meant that the crash didn't affect them in the slightest.

Finally, there was K-Mart, which was where I bought my Atari 5200 and a few games.

Most of those places are gone now:

Woolco is gone. The building is currently "Hobby Lobby."

Kaybee and Circus World are long gone

The Game Peddler died along with the crash.

Service Merchandise is gone.

K-Mart is gone.

Winns went out of business years later.

Montgomery Wards is gone.

Target recently changed buildings.

Sears is still in the same spot, but the area that was once videogame central is now part of the automotive section.

Dillards is still around. They expanded and took over Service Merchandise's part of the mall. So now they have a strange arrangement of having two shops on the mall across from each other. Of course, they don't sell any electronics at all anymore.

The first one I remember saving up to buy was Battlezone. When I first played it, I was so disappointed that it looked nothing like the arcade version. :( Later I liked it for what it was.

The first game to be pulled out of the system while it was running and stomped with a large boot? That would be Realsports Baseball. Dad was so PO'd at it that he yanked it out of our Sears Video Game System II and stomped it with the heel of his boot. After taping it back later, it still worked. :D

I honestly can't remember which was the first, seriously. Brought a couple misc arcade PCBs in the shower with me, just the ones that wouldn't work after cleaning the pinout.

Now, what was the first game you woke up next to? How was it? ;)

I honestly can't remember which was the first, seriously. Brought a couple misc arcade PCBs in the shower with me, just the ones that wouldn't work after cleaning the pinout.

Pitfall, box crushed.

I used to play a game called "how many different girls will I wake up next to". My best was 5 in 5 days. It was pretty good back then but now that I'm settled down and all I feel more like thank God I didn't catch something acting like such a man whore. :cool:

The first game I took into the bathtub with me was Sonic 2, followeed closely by Shining Force.

The first game that scared me was (appropriately) D.

The first game I played on the toilet was a DMG gameboy title--who even knows which one.

I've woken up next to my game gear or gameboy several times, not knowing they were on the bed when I finally passed out from exhaustion. No, wait...the first game I woke up next to was...I'll tell you her name later!

I don't know if any 2600 games have scared me, and I don't have a portable 2600, but I'm sure that I've tossed some onto the bed and then crashed without realizing they were there.

Oh, the first game I took everywhere I went had to have been FF Legend 3.

What's the first game I destroyed because I thought it sucked? Goldeneye.

First game to die on me? Haunted House.

First game I fell in love with? I dunno.

First game I took skydiving? Dunno that, either.

Edited by shadow460

sadly 'what was the first game that you earned' and 'what was the first game you rectally stimulated yourself with' are two questions that at least have a tenuous connection for me, with the answer being

donkey kong jr.

in retrospect, it's kinda funny, i think cause dkj looks kinda turd like. also, i remember really making myself like this game (it had one more board than dk!) probably because of how hard i worked (or how hard i worked someone else,) to earn it.

"Which was the first game that gave you the shits?"

^^^ funny ass question

ms pacman

Now, what was the first game you woke up next to? How was it?

also ms pacman, she was gr8 i got the shits from her cus she was sick at the time of our love and i did not know. 1 month later she was pregnant thats how pac man jr came to be, i knew that ho cheated on me with pac man! :(

I thought threads like this were a bonding experience that made Atari nerds want to go meet each other at conventions every year? Seems like complaining about these threads is like shooting yourself in the foot if you want to sell anything at those conventions.

The first game I had to earn was Yars' Revenge:

I was supposed to move some bushes for an old lady. I caught a ride to Woolco, which was only a few miles away from her house, so I decided to walk. I thought I could find a shortcut through some woods, but instead, it took many hours to get there because I kept hitting 'roadblocks' of all kinds: fences, trenches full of bushes and trees that were too deep and wide to cross, vicious dogs, and so on. I'm having trouble remembering how I finally got there, but I did get there. I transplanted the bushes, got paid around $30 and her husband drove me to a department store so I could buy Yars' Revenge for $24.97.