IGNORED

New ColecoVision/Atari2600/Vectrex game developments, updated almost daily!

Hi everyone,

In the spirit of open communication, i've now opened up a personal

blog at: http://www.d3signer.com with the my day to day game

development activities. The blog will be updated almost daily with my

latest development on the various classic game systems. It is also a

way for me to get some more direct feedback from others, so please

give me as much feedback as possible.

The blog already features a number of projects for atari 2600,

colecovision, vectrex, but also some of the old stuff i did on gameboy

(nearly 10 years ago). So if you're interested in classic games or

classic game development (be it vectrex, atari, coleco or other

platforms), please visit the blog.

The blog will be updated almost daily, so please make sure you to

visit it frequently at: http://www.d3signer.com

Kind regards,

Martijn / Revival Studios

Streetbrawler is looking good, although from those graphics you made, it looks more at home on the NES than the CV... Having three colors for your main character means a ton of flicker when enemies pop up on the same scan lines. Unless the blue character is actually for the CV version?

Streetbrawler is looking good, although from those graphics you made, it looks more at home on the NES than the CV... Having three colors for your main character means a ton of flicker when enemies pop up on the same scan lines. Unless the blue character is actually for the CV version?

the colors are still problametic, right now its interlaced. one frame the 2 color fillings are drawn in 2x scaled mode for both character and opponent, the other frame in normal res the black outline is drawn over the fillings.

however, there still is a problem with multiple enemies, which is why the 'blocky' enemy test is drawn with the preview.

either way, far from ideal.

the colors are still problametic, right now its interlaced. one frame the 2 color fillings are drawn in 2x scaled mode for both character and opponent, the other frame in normal res the black outline is drawn over the fillings.

So in other words, you're trying to manage flicker in an intelligent and visually appealling way. :)

I've always felt that while the CV can display some cool things graphically, it shouldn't try to "emulate" the NES. With the "unflippable" sprites that are limited to two colors (one of which is usually transparent, so it's really one color per sprite) and the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit, the CV is hard-pressed to do colorful visuals without ugly flicker. The only thing the CV really has going for it is its bitmap mode (2 colors per scanline, per tile) but with no hardware scrolling and no VRAM DMA, it's not that much of an advantage.

As far as your Streetbrawler game is concerned, if I were you, I would go with a black background to eliminate the need for a black sprite outline. That way, you'll have much less problems with flicker when enemies approach the player's character. People won't mind having a black background since they know the CV is not a NES.