IGNORED

Gameboy Player

Are these still being sold? I bought mine at Target (for $45, IIRC) back in late winter and it looked like they were phasing them out already.

Anyway, I think it's great! I haven't played it THAT much, but it was a lifesaver on a few tricky spots in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. There's one part in that game that requires flawless timing that I just could not do on the SP but I was able to do it with a GameCube controller!

Are these still being sold? I bought mine at Target (for $45, IIRC) back in late winter and it looked like they were phasing them out already.

Anyway, I think it's great! I haven't played it THAT much, but it was a lifesaver on a few tricky spots in Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. There's one part in that game that requires flawless timing that I just could not do on the SP but I was able to do it with a GameCube controller!

yea they are still popular.. the GBA games and systems still sell very well, sometimes outselling ps2 hardware

Gameboy player is great. It's the main reason I buy new games for the GBA still; So I can play them (for the most part) on the cube!! I like picking up the exclusives for the GBA and being able to still play them on the big screen cause I can only handle the minature screen for so long when I have the optin to play other games on a TV. I really hope the virtual console of the Wii has the older gameboy titles cause I doubt they will make another gameboy player with the DS being able to wifi with the cube.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I really hope the virtual console of the Wii has the older gameboy titles cause I doubt they will make another gameboy player with the DS being able to wifi with the cube.

Even if they did make another GameBoy adapter, it likely wouldn't have 8-bit compatibility. The DS and Micro have both discarded it.

Nintendo just doesn't see 8-bit cartridges as a relevant market feature anymore.

The best thing about the GBP for me is being able to play a game on the way to work and back on my GBA, then get home and pick up where I left off on the TV set.

It's pretty cool for me and really spices things up. Swtiching systems really adds something new for me. Like when I tire of playing GBA, playing with the GBP can revive my interest in a game.

Playing with a GBP on a TV is a lot easier on the eyes. Also, if using a standard Game Cube controller feels somewhat cumbersome for playing GBA games, try to get a Hori controller. It's like a SNES pad for your Game Cube, with everything except analog sticks, and it's perfect for playing GBA games. In fact, Hori created this controller specifically for the GBP. I don't think they've ever sold this controller in North America though... I had to import mine from Japan. Smartest purchase I ever made. :)

The other thing that sucks about the Gameboy Player is that it won't be included/compatible with the Wii. My favorite aspect of the Cube right now is the GB player and as much as I'd like to replace the Cube with a Wii, I don't want to give it up ...

It's a great little device and IMHO the Cube is naked without it.

Even if they did make another GameBoy adapter, it likely wouldn't have 8-bit compatibility. The DS and Micro have both discarded it.

Nintendo just doesn't see 8-bit cartridges as a relevant market feature anymore.

I think the main problem is the GBA and up are 3.3v carts, supporting the older 5v legacy stuff requires extra circuitry.

I think the main problem is the GBA and up are 3.3v carts, supporting the older 5v legacy stuff requires extra circuitry.

I think there are some chips missing, too. From wikipedia

The Nintendo DS is not compatible with games for the Game Boy Color and the original Game Boy, due to a slightly different form factor and the absence of the Zilog Z80-like processor used in these systems. This may be an attempt to separate the Nintendo DS and Nintendo's established Game Boy line of handheld consoles; the Game Boy Advance, for example, has the Z80 so it can run legacy Game Boy games. It may also be to keep the Nintendo DS's price down, since including another chip set would likely have significantly added to the cost of producing the unit. In light of this incompatibility, several projects have started to emulate this platform. One such product is the freely available Goomba emulator.[4]

I don't have a lot of retro GB titles, but it's always nicer to have the option than have it taken away. Fortunately, both the Cube GB player and the GBA SP play everything GameBoy there is. :lust:

Yah. That's the big issue.

I think there are some chips missing, too. From wikipedia

The Nintendo DS is not compatible with games for the Game Boy Color and the original Game Boy, due to a slightly different form factor and the absence of the Zilog Z80-like processor used in these systems. This may be an attempt to separate the Nintendo DS and Nintendo's established Game Boy line of handheld consoles; the Game Boy Advance, for example, has the Z80 so it can run legacy Game Boy games. It may also be to keep the Nintendo DS's price down, since including another chip set would likely have significantly added to the cost of producing the unit. In light of this incompatibility, several projects have started to emulate this platform. One such product is the freely available Goomba emulator.[4]

I don't have a lot of retro GB titles, but it's always nicer to have the option than have it taken away. Fortunately, both the Cube GB player and the GBA SP play everything GameBoy there is. :lust:

That's the official Nintendo excuse.

As I understand things, though, the 8-bit CPU is actually integrated into the GBA chipset. The processor lapsing out of production would be irrelevant because of that.

So unless I've got bad info(which is possible, since I don't have the stupid security screwdriver to open one up and look), it all boils down to the size and cost of the dual-voltage hardware.

Another bonus to the GBP: If you have an older version GameCube with the Digital AV port and either a Component Video or RGB modified Component Video Cable the GBP can support Progressive Scan. I played "Wings" on my MultiSync 3D monitor at 480p RGB and it looked sweet.

I like the GBP but honestly I haven't used it all that much since I got my DS since I play my DS more.

yea i hear you.. the only GBA game ive played recently is F-Zero GP Legend.... which is a good game, i love it, esp compaired to Maximum Velocity.. but my DS is taking up all my time.. every time i think im done getting the games i want , i foget about a few... right now i have 13, probably owned aroun 15-17.

Another 'me too' on saying the Gameboy Player is a must have item if you are into playing GB/GBA titles. I normally use it for playing RPGs because I have that big (14") TV screen and can stretch out freely to just play the game until I fall asleep. This is one of the few things I picked up immediately after release. Not much else has lived up to the hype better than this unit.

Now, if your'e not into GB titles of any sort, or higher end graphics and sound are necessities, just pass on it. Honestly, most RPG music makes me crazy after a while, but you need it somewhat to know what's happening. Sometimes I'll turn the tv sound off and turn the radio on and play that way. It works okay.

Also like the GB/GBA the player is region free so if you import japanese games you will have no problems with them, other than the language barrier.

Hex.

[ Mistah Drillah! ]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the Gameboy Player. It's one of the main reasons my GC hasn't joined the PS2 in the land of 'retired' consoles here :)

while im DELIGHTED the GC is so alive there... i must ask.... where do you live that the ps2's death grip has loosened? I must move there! :D

Also like the GB/GBA the player is region free so if you import japanese games you will have no problems with them, other than the language barrier.

Hex.

[ Mistah Drillah! ]

Just thought it might be worth pointing out that only applies to the GBA side. The Player's boot disk is region-locked just like any other GameCube software, so an imported GBPlayer won't work on a domestic system, or vice versa.

And another plus on the GBPlayer! It makes the GameCube into an actual cube!

True, but I can't think of any reason why anyone would import a GBplayer from Japan when they are readily available here. -- unless you have a Japanese Cube. :D

Hex.

[ tried the 'region switch' mod on a cube and nearly killed it dead in the process -- and it's still region locked. ]