IGNORED

Help with Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

Adventure_Knight

That is perfection. I was just happy finding Rhonda, Quickclaw and the diamond ring. Mind you if you thought it was hard colelcting all the gold bars on the 2600 you shoudl have given the 8-bit version a try for it had a second set of caverns to explore once you completed the first one ;)

Pitfall Harry made a map, if you want to go that route...

http://pitfallharry.tripod.com/MapRoom/Pitfall2Map.gif

1. Your link doesn't work.

B. SeaGtGruff already linked a view of the entire game area made from stitched screenshots waaay back in post #6.

Though I've seen it before, I just learned something new from the screenshot map. A timesaver: when going down the long ladder at the right, the only levels on which you need to exit to the left to get the gold, are the ones with bats (except two levels where there is a bat but the passage is blocked).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Pitfall Harry made a map, if you want to go that route...

http://pitfallharry.tripod.com/MapRoom/Pitfall2Map.gif

1. Your link doesn't work.

B. SeaGtGruff already linked a view of the entire game area made from stitched screenshots waaay back in post #6.

I noticed that the link didn't work, too-- an "image hosted by" ad for Tripod comes up instead (could it be due to a daily bandwidth restriction?). But I think the map he was referring to *may* have been for the larger 8-bit version of the game, which had an extra area to explore. A link for the maps of that version was posted in another thread last year:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=887576

Michael Rideout

It's possible to get the perfect score with all those condors and bats on the way to Quickclaw?

Yes, you "just" have to run underneath them at the right moment. You can practice getting good at that with the bat and condor on the uppermost level, before you ever go underground. Of course, you can practice in other spots, too, but that's so near the beginning of the game that it's convenient to reset, try running under the condor/bat, reset again, etc.

Michael Rideout

So is Pitfall 2 one of the best games ever made?

My major experience with this game was on the C-64. I recall playing it for many hours at a time. I've only gotten a chance to play the 2600 version recently (I never knew it and Hero had ever been made for the 2600 always assuming they both were made later on 8 bit computers).

From what I can see Pitfall 2 on the 2600 is just as fun and engrossing as the c-64 one was (minus the extra set of caverns of course) and it looks just about as good.

So, i think so.

-Ray