IGNORED

Boxed Quadrun in this lot.

homerwannabee

Quadrun... it is a great game. I really enjoy it on both my FB2s (which were $29 each) and my CC2... (which was an outrageous $150... Not that the product isn't worth it... but, that is SO much money to sink into effectively 30 year old technology).

I'm wondering what I'm missing out on for the $1300 I saved... :)

From what I've read, you're missing out on the true experience, when playing the FB2s or the ROM that currently floats around the net. ;)

From what I've read, you're missing out on the true experience, when playing the FB2s or the ROM that currently floats around the net.

Well, it seems that there is a link to the later version of the ROM in this thread... so... once I load THAT up on my CC2... what will I be missing? :D

Although seriously... it sounds like an easter-egg and some minor gameplay differences are what the later version adds, right? If the basic gameplay remains unchanged... the GAME is what I'm interested in, really. Quadrun is a challenging and addictive game like QIX... one of those sleepers. When you could not play it UNLESS you got ahold of a cart, I can understand how some purist, hardcore collectors would drive up the price so high. If money *were* no object to me, Quadrun is an enjoyable enough game that I can imagine spending $1000 to be one of the few able to enjoy it on original hardware... or simply to be able to enjoy it at all.

I guess it comes back to the argument about classic comics, or any kind of copy or forgery of an original. If your fake TAG is for all intents and purposes identical to any actual TAG... but it cost $500 less... what is the difference? Or your kit car? Or your copy of Superman? On the other hand, if your reproduction is crude and obviously a fake, a duplicate, or not engineered to the level of the original in some critical way (for example, badly reproduced first edition reprints of Superman)... then I can understand owning the original.

There is a paper on the Internet that kind of discusses this. It is about the psychology of the functional psychopath. They address directly how one psychopath was a master forger, and he could not understand the difference between his fakes and the original, because the craftsmanship and material was indistinguisable (it doesn't mention how he got caught).

here...

"Mark Hofmann, an ingenious forger of rare documents and murderer, included among his victims many scholars, the Library of Congress, the U.S. mint, the Mormon Church, private collectors, and several forgery experts. His career began as a child with the alteration of mint-marks on coins. He recently revealed his thinking on the subject of his forgeries: "It's not so much what is genuine and what isn't as what people believe is genuine. When I forged a document and sold it, I was not cheating the person that I was selling it to because the document would never be detected as being a fraud. Obviously if I would have known they would some day be detected, I wouldn't have done it. I didn't feel like I was cheating them.[8]" This statement shows not only a lack of guilt and remorse, but a semantic lack of understanding of the concept of authenticity. Psychopaths can be thought of not as being hypocrites, but as actually not understanding or using language in the same way other people do."

This rationalization makes a certain odd sense to me, in how it relates to this thread, anyhow. If I get as much enjoyment out of my fake Tag watch, even if I know it is a fake, as a person who has spent three times as much on a genuine article... well... what have they bought? An intangible quality of *knowing* they have the genuine article.

I've got to say that I feel that the $1000-1500 Atari cart is more of the same, when anyone with a $200 CC2 can play the same game.

At the same time, one could argue that emulation is highly accurate and reliable and offers the same benefits of original hardware, even of owning a CC2 or other Multicart, for SINGIFICANLTY less expense... and I am *not* a fan of emulation. I'd say there is a tangible issue in the area of I/O and reassigning switches and buttons to a bunch of keys on a generic keyboard, and of managing a bunch of files instead of a physical cart... but, it really is just a degree of the same thing.

So I guess Quadrun carts are expensive despite the availability because they are rare, don't change hands often, and attract a rare personallity as well. Ultimately, to the person who wants a physical Quadrun cart, the price they are currently going for is the price they are clearly worth. I'm just fascinated by the process as a study of human behavior, motivation and desire, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got screwed... :x the user is NARU'd!

Well Sh*t! This is the last time I use ebay for a long time. And if I ever decide to use it again it won't be for anything worth more than $100! Loosing 100 is a lot easier than $1400!

Keep an eye out on eBay for me. If the quadrun shows back up it belongs to me. Not that I could do anything about it but I have to try.

Anyone here live near Valley Stream, NY? I would like to find out if this is a real address and if this person lives there. Any help is appreciated. And if you can get my money/auction items there will be some dough in it for you.

Address to where I sent payment:

Bonnie Fifield

103 East Mineola Ave

Valley Stream, NY 11580

This really urks me! I sent the money with good faith and I get screwed. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Unbelievable!! That really sucks man. I would seriously be tempted to go to the address in person and try to collect something, I have threatend to do it before to deadbeat sellers and if something like this didn't get resolved I would for sure if I was you. If it's a fake address at least you could check out NY for a couple days. People that screw people like that are just f*ck*d up man. I'm sorry to here that it happened to you.

Maybe try to get a phone number some how from the name and address? Might be worth a shot. Imagine the suprise they would get from you calling them at home. That might scare them in to refunding your money :?:

Well Sh*t! This is the last time I use ebay for a long time. And if I ever decide to use it again it won't be for anything worth more than $100! Loosing 100 is a lot easier than $1400!

Keep an eye out on eBay for me. If the quadrun shows back up it belongs to me. Not that I could do anything about it but I have to try.

Anyone here live near Valley Stream, NY? I would like to find out if this is a real address and if this person lives there. Any help is appreciated. And if you can get my money/auction items there will be some dough in it for you.

Bonnie Fifield

103 East Mineola Ave

Valley Stream, NY 11580

This really urks me! I sent the money with good faith and I get screwed. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

I would immediately report them to their local police department, the FBI internet fraud division and the USPS.

Sorry to hear that. :(

File a complaint with the feds here:

http://www.ic3.gov/

About 2 hour drive for me.

If you find anything more out, maybe I can help somehow.

Have you tried calling the police in that town?

Probably worthless, but worth a shot.

I think over $1,000 would be considered Grand Theft, although I could be wrong.

The difference is a felony offense.

Have you tried calling the idiots themselves?

Check Ebay for a phone number (if you still can now that they are NARU'd).

If you paid with PayPal, you can file a claim, although they will only give you your money back if the moron

has funds in their PayPal account. However, whenever they use PayPal the money goes to you.

Do everything possible to get this asshole.

Bonnie Fifield

103 East Mineola Ave

Valley Stream, NY 11580

Get the phone number of the local police department in that area and file a report. You may have to call the sheriff too. But do it RIGHT AWAY!

Also, if you paid by money order, have them check to see if its been cashed. If not, put a stop on it. If so, see if they can get you a copy in order to get banking info, etc.

Good luck!

I have had to deal with this extact type of seller before and was able to get my money back but it took some phone calls. As CPUWIZ noted calling it in to the FBI and yours\his local police departments will get action taken. Your local's will fax the charges to his locals to get the warrent acted on, that is grand theift, fruad, possesion of stolen goods and mail fraud. One of those will stick I'm sure, just be ready to go to court if need be. In my situation it was one email from the FBI and a call from his locals that had my money back within 24hours of the call.

EDIT: Don't get fucked on this dude, it's just too much money. You can get your money back FOR SURE, it's just gonna be a few headaches and some leg work.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Thanks for all the adivce!

I sent them a bank check(money order). I'll check Monday morning but it's been over a week and a half and I'm sure it's cleared.

I'm checking into the fraud. I have friends who are police officers and they are willing to help me in any way they can. I also have a friend that is a bill collector and he is good at locating peoples information. I'll contact USPS, ebay, FBi and the local police if need be.

Even with the bad feed back it seems odd to me that they would be NARU'd after being a user since 2000.

I'll contact USPS, ebay, FBi and the local police if need be.

You need to, tomorrow morning would be your best bet. You can actually send off the email to the FBI right now, just have all regarding info at hand cause you need it to fill out the report. If your friends are on the local force I would try to get them to handle the charges on your end getting them filed to send to his locals cause that way you know they will get completed faster. Ebay will do nothing so don't even bother with them, USPS will do about the same as ebay (see nothing) untill the law is involved.

Other than the NARU what makes you think this guy is going to rip you off. Has he been ignoring your emails? I have been NARUed 3or4 times for not paying my ebay bill till I finally set it up for automatic pay. I see many sellers pop in and out for what I always assumed was the same reason.

Not saying you shouldn't go forward with the previously stated methods to protect yourself but if the guy still emails you than all hope is not lost.

Yes you are right. I could be getting worked up about it and it might work out. It's just what it looks like to me. I have sent various emails with no response. Then the NARU started to scare me. I don't want to go thru all the work for the fraud. I just want what I paid for. I'm hoping this seller is just slow to ship and slow to pay the eBay fees. I'm trying to contact the seller by phone.

USPS will do about the same as ebay (see nothing) untill the law is involved.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment.

I was similarly ripped off once by an eBayer on a large collection of laserdiscs to the tune of $1000 or so and although law enforcement didn't seem to care in the least (neither the police nor the DA), USPS encouraged me to file fraud charges through them and seemed genuinely interested in pursuing the matter. Admittedly, I never got any real satisfaction out of the deal, but of everyone I talked to, nobody was as sympathetic or as helpful in directing me to the proper channels for filing a complaint as USPS. They really do take mail fraud seriously and whether you get your money back or not, you're at the very least starting a paper trail that might come back to bite this seller in the a** later.

I had a bad feeling about this from the start (read from the first post, I was the first to say that it didn't seem right), and the more I heard, the more sketchy this seemed to be. In light of everything else, I don't think getting yourself worked up is paranoia at all. I think it is prudent. I'd respond quickly and aggressively to anything that didn't seem right in this case, with as much money as is involved.

And, I would encourage you to leverage the assistance of ANYONE from AtariAge who lives in the general area and is willing to help. I think all of us here can empathize with you, and would do anything we can to help you make this right. As Shawn said... it is just too much money. If stuff like this starts happening in the Atari community and we don't look out for eachother, it will be a bad thing in the long run for all of us.

Good luck, man. I hope you get your product or get your money back.

Looking at the seller's feedback and recently completed auctions, I wouldn't get too freaked out. They have sold a lot of relatively expensive items recently, and yet their recent feedback does not show a string of negs, just a few slow shipping comments. NARUs happen all the time for various reasons. I think it's a stupid term for them to use, it sounds so final and leaves buyers guessing. A distinction ought to be drawn between temporary suspension and one that is permanent!

Also, some sellers who are not too bright and are behind on shipping take perfectly justifiable status request emails the wrong way and move you to the back of the queue in retribution for bothering them!