IGNORED

Is my Mega / Sega CD broken?

I haven't had mine for much, but when I turned it on today....

I couldn't get it to work...

A friend of mine just told that you just plug a power connector into the Megadrive / Genesis and another in the Mega CD...

It didn't help, and I know the power connectors work...

Someone else told me to put some audio connector cable, which I had, between the Megadrive and Mega CD and that didn't help either...

Is there anyway to know if it's dead? I sure hope not, I just got some games for it!

Hello, first, I just got a Sega Genesis/32X/CD combo of of EBay. As stated earlier, the Genesis Expansion connector is very fidgety (troublesome) Try at first disconnecting and then re-connecting the Genesis and CD units several times. What model of Genesis and CD do you have? Also, on my unit, the power plug of the CD unit acted odd, I had to insert/remove it several times to clean out some 'crud' that was there. Worst case senario, you may have to take apart your Genesis and fully clean the expansion connector with very fine sandpaper (VERY fine, like say 800 grit) followed by a good brass cleaner, followed by 90% iso. alcohol.

If you have a multimeter, test the CD Power Supply while plugged in..... Hope this helps.

Hello, first, I just got a Sega Genesis/32X/CD combo of of EBay. As stated earlier, the Genesis Expansion connector is very fidgety (troublesome) Try at first disconnecting and then re-connecting the Genesis and CD units several times. What model of Genesis and CD do you have? Also, on my unit, the power plug of the CD unit acted odd, I had to insert/remove it several times to clean out some 'crud' that was there. Worst case senario, you may have to take apart your Genesis and fully clean the expansion connector with very fine sandpaper (VERY fine, like say 800 grit) followed by a good brass cleaner, followed by 90% iso. alcohol.

If you have a multimeter, test the CD Power Supply while plugged in..... Hope this helps.

I have a Megadrive I (the bigger one) and Mega CD II...

The thing is, the Mega CD has been plugged in the Megadrive ever since I got it, so... how can it be dirty? :?

Edited by Tanukitsune

The audio jumper is only for audio. It won't make or break the system.

First thing I'd do is clean the Genny's expansion connector. It seems to be a pretty fidgety connection.

With what a Q-Tip? I'd hate to use the wrong thing and makes things worse!

QTip and alcohol, just like a cartridge connection.

I'm not sure, but I think Sega used a plating that's prone to corrosion on the connector edge. My Genny is my least reliable system after my NES.

Just went through a bit to get my SegaCD and Genesis MK1 working.

My connectors were fine, and the Genesis worked by itself.

(You do need both power connectors. All three if you have a 32x I believe.. Don't have one of those yet.)

Turned out it was a fuse in the segaCD, BUT....

It's a "pico fuse" and looked like a resistor. Wasn't labeled as a fuse either. Took a bit to find it.

Also, I believe there's a variation in the MegaCD (European) where it's a surface mount....??? I don't have a Mega so I'm not sure, but it sounds familiar from when I was looking.

If it's not your connections, and you're sure you have the RIGHT power supplies (They differ on some combinations of Genesi and SegaCD...), let me know and I can help you ID the fuse. It's an easy test with a multimeter.

(Yes, you CAN test it by bypassing the fuse, but if something BLEW the fuse, and it's still bad and you bypass it, you can blow stuff beyond the fuse... That said, I did that quickly, and it was my fuse, so I replaced it. :-)

The fix is pretty easy too. Some people are GREAT with solder and replaced it totally. I am OK, so I clipped off the old dead one, leaving enough of the legs exposed to solder the new one to those legs. Very simple.

Good luck,

desiv

I don't have a multimeter.... :(

The Sega CD power connector is labelled, so I know which one it is...

Alll I can tell is that I get a black screen each time I turn it on.... And no lights turn on on the Mega CD...

Do I really have to open it up?

Black screen and no lights means that either the SCD isn't getting power or the Genny isn't talking to it enough to even turn it on.

Could still be a bad connection, since the only "power switch" is the Genesis expansion connector. But if you cleaned it up and fidgeted with the seating and it still isn't working...

I don't have a multimeter.... :(

The Sega CD power connector is labelled, so I know which one it is...

Alll I can tell is that I get a black screen each time I turn it on.... And no lights turn on on the Mega CD...

Do I really have to open it up?

In the words of a great man...

Don't Panic. :)

You probably do have to open it, but it's not that bad. Just some screws. There aren't alot of wires or springs to worry about. Nothing falls out when you open it. It's pretty clean.

I would see if you can borrow a multimeter from a friend. (And if the friend can come with it.. :-)

Also, they are inexpensive, and you will want to have one.

However, you only need a continuity tester. You can make one yourself. A battery, a lightbulb (flashlight style) and some wire.... Just wire it up so it'll turn off the light if you don't touch 2 pieces of wire together. Then touch each piece to one end of the fuse. If it lights, the fuse is OK. If it doesn't the fuse is bad.

And, the power is NOT connected when you do this!!!!!

(I'd recommend buying a multimeter.. They are FUN.. No, seriously.. I mean it.. Oh well.. :-)

As long as it's the green resistor looking fuse, it's easy to fix.

Do you have a soldernig iron???? Again, very fun!!!!

desiv

@Tanukitsune: First, your quote:

The thing is, the Mega CD has been plugged in the Megadrive ever since I got it, so... how can it be dirty?

Well, honestly, do you know that the Mega CD and Megadrive have Always been hooked up together??? Also, the connection between Megadrive and Mega CD, if anything like the US version, is not very reliable, dust can still fall in through the small gap, etc. My current system (Genesis, 32X, CD) were plugged in together since I got it , but I had much trouble with both Genesis/CD connection, and with the AC adapters for the 32X and CD unit. As mentioned before, buy a multimeter, do it yesterday! (You only need a continuity tester now, but DC voltage/amperage would help) First, you want to test the AC adapter for your Mega CD, that was a problem with my setup. If connected right, and powered, after turning on the Megadrive (with no cart) and having a CD in the MegaCD, you should see the LED on the MegaCD start to flash within 2 seconds....if not, something is wrong. Maybe someone can verify this time for a Megadrive.....

Best of luck. If there is a Radio Shack (or equal) near to you, ask them about a multimeter. Here in the US, I paid only $9.00 US for one with AC/DC voltage from 12 to 1000 V, and DC amps. + continuity.... :)