IGNORED

Monitor cable for 1084S?

I wish I could offer some knowledge here, but unfortunately I'm a bit out of my league when making monitor cables. I will contribute another wish I could find a way to hook my Mega 4 to a 1084 or anything other than the monochrome Atari monitor I have. If someone out there is able to do this, I'd love to know how!

If I'm going to have a cable made, is http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ still recommended?

If you have 1084x monitors, getting a cable made would be the easiest solution. The only tricky part is that as we have found out, some 1084x monitors do not accept csync and require separate vsync/hsync signals. So if you have them make you a cable, not using csync might be a good idea.

• 8 months later...
Using two resistors to combine the separate Hor/Vert sync signals is a cheap and fairly common way of making an AND circuit.

Bit of an old thread now - but I was just running into more signal quandaries this weekend when modifying a SCART cable so that it worked properly on both my STF/STFM machines. The problem was that the SCART cable was using composite video to derive the HSYNC signal, and that composite video is obviously not available on the STF line. So the cable worked on the STFM, but not the STF.

I combined the ST HSYNC/VSYNC like so:

VSYNC ----[100Ω]---\ 
									\ 
									 >----- CSYNC
									/ 
				HSYNC ----[100Ω]---/

and rewired the SCART end a bit. Now it works just fine on both.

As to why I care about SCART - I finally have a use for it after all these years thanks to SCART/component video converters. :cool:

• 2 years later...
Using two resistors to combine the separate Hor/Vert sync signals is a cheap and fairly common way of making an AND circuit.

Bit of an old thread now - but I was just running into more signal quandaries this weekend when modifying a SCART cable so that it worked properly on both my STF/STFM machines. The problem was that the SCART cable was using composite video to derive the HSYNC signal, and that composite video is obviously not available on the STF line. So the cable worked on the STFM, but not the STF.

I combined the ST HSYNC/VSYNC like so:

VSYNC ----[100Ω]---\ 
									\ 
									 >----- CSYNC
									/ 
				HSYNC ----[100Ω]---/

and rewired the SCART end a bit. Now it works just fine on both.

As to why I care about SCART - I finally have a use for it after all these years thanks to SCART/component video converters. :cool:

I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to use a SCART to YUV (component) converter. I made my scart cable just like you say above with H and V sync and the 100ohm resitors. This works in my XRGB2+ with a Eu to J adapter of course...

I got the converter (SCART to YUV) and it did not work at all with my STf and this cable. Screen never showed at all. I tried my Neogeo AES with a scart cable in it and there was picture but it would come and go and scroll a little.

Could it be a bad SCART to YUV converter? What would the odds of that be..

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, it's been a while since I've poked around with this, but if you can get a proper CSYNC signal from H/V combined that cable should work on both STf/STfm. IIRC the CSYNC signal goes to SCART pin 20.

R/G/B lines should have resistors attached to them, I think mine were 150 Ohm.

Hmm, it's been a while since I've poked around with this, but if you can get a proper CSYNC signal from H/V combined that cable should work on both STf/STfm. IIRC the CSYNC signal goes to SCART pin 20.

R/G/B lines should have resistors attached to them, I think mine were 150 Ohm.

Do you think not having resistors on the RGB would cause it not to sync?

I have another scart cable coming from England that I'm hoping will work with a SCART to Composite converter.

If not I might have to break down and get a SC1224 even though I dont have much room for a CRT on the desk....