IGNORED

File version of Deflektor? Yes!

_Fandal_

Yes, Barnyard Blaster keeps crashing on real HW.

Strange: I can play it on my XL anyway. Everytime it hangs i enter my "Turbo Freezer" and then, without having changed anything, return to the game, which starts to work again at the point it hung. Maybe it is possible to fix it.

Getting a XEGSRAM-Cartridge seems to be a good solution. Has somebody info, where to buy it? Or can it be selfmade?

Regards,

Beetle

PS: I was just joking with the "howto", i can imagine the enormous work... Thanks you did it!

There is only place where you can find some info about XEGS RAMcart. And I'm affraid it's selfmade only.

F.

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Two years after releasing file version of Deflektor I'm back with new version of my conversion.

Writing level editor for Deflektor I realized that four levels in original cart image were not accessible at all. Levels 18, 22, 48 couldn't be finished due to bad design and level 56 was partially overwritten by some garbage. I think authors of Deflektor knew about those problems as level 18 was remaped to level 58, level 22 to level 01, level 48 to level 11 and level 56 to level 04. See the screenshots for more info.

post-5049-1214078277_thumb.png post-5049-1214078302_thumb.png

Level 18 couldn't be finished as the ball in the right lower corner couln't be hit. I had to relocate one mirror to fix this problem.

post-5049-1214079031_thumb.png

Level 22 couldn't be finished as the rotating mirror in the center of the screen makes it impossible in time limit. I had to set mirror to non-rotating one.

post-5049-1214079252_thumb.pngpost-5049-1214079260_thumb.png

Level 48 couldn't be finished as the laser couldn't be bounced to the left part of a screen. To make it possible I had to add one brick.

post-5049-1214079468_thumb.pngpost-5049-1214079464_thumb.png

Level 56 was partially overwritten by some garbage so I had to redesign it. I just hope you like it.

New fixed version of Deflektor can be found in my archive. Please update your personal collections...

Regards

F.

• Like 1

Level 56 was partially overwritten by some garbage so I had to redesign it. I just hope you like it.

Instead of redesigning, you might want to use the original form. Here's level 56 from the ZX Spectrum version:

post-4134-1214169604_thumb.png

I've tinkered with the Spectrum Deflektor a little, and noticed two bugs in the Atari version:

1. In certain positions the Atari version reflects the laser beam differently from the Spectrum one. That's the reason for the level 18 being unsolvable, and it might also break the level 48 (didn't check though).

2. On the Speccy, you may stop the spinning mirror; on the Atari, you can only change its spinning direction. I think that makes level 22 unbeatable.

I don't know how much work would it take to fix those two, but i doubt it would be worth it.

Instead of redesigning, you might want to use the original form. Here's level 56 from the ZX Spectrum version:

post-4134-1214169604_thumb.png

I've tinkered with the Spectrum Deflektor a little, and noticed two bugs in the Atari version:

1. In certain positions the Atari version reflects the laser beam differently from the Spectrum one. That's the reason for the level 18 being unsolvable, and it might also break the level 48 (didn't check though).

2. On the Speccy, you may stop the spinning mirror; on the Atari, you can only change its spinning direction. I think that makes level 22 unbeatable.

I don't know how much work would it take to fix those two, but i doubt it would be worth it.

Ouch, you've got me! I didn't know Deflektor was ported to Speccy. Anyway, I redesigned level 56 according to your screenshot. So there is a new version, hopefully the last one. Thank you very much for your help!

F.

Edit: it the attachment you can find fixed cart image as well.

Deflektor_fixed.zip

Edited by _Fandal_

• 4 months later...

Very cool.

Just out of curiosity, any idea why these XE conversions won't run from a my-ide cart drive? They seem to halt right after loading begins (and make SIO noise, as if they are trying to go around the my-ide drive somehow). Interestingly, the homesoft 5200 conversions seem to behave the same way.

This one loads fine with the my-ide cart in when loaded from an APE PC mirror drive, but after I copy it to D1: (the first my-ide partition), and try to load -- no luck.

Thanks for your work, Fandal!

FWIW, it works fine for me with SIO2SD using TinyDOS.

TinyDOS? Where?

Erg, I'm dumb. I meant PicoDOS. MyPicoDOS 4.04 to be exact. I think there's a better version that supports long filenames and more files but 4.04 is what I'm using and it works with that Deflektor for 64k machines he just posted and SIO2SD.