IGNORED

Can a PC Emulate a C64 Drive?

Tempest

I have a Commodore 64 that I picked up at a flea market years ago. I want to play some games on it, but I have almost none (other than a few cartridges). I do have a disk drive for it, but I lack the proper cables to attach it. I was wondering if there was a way for the PC to emulate the disk drive. For instance, there are a few programs that will emulate an Atari 810 drive so you can literally load games onto your Atari from your PC. I was hoping there is something similar for the C64 so I can easily download a few archives of games and test them out on a real C64.

Failing this, is there a program that I can use to transfer files to a C64 disk drive? On the Apple II there's a program called ADT that allows me to download a file from my PC and write it to a disk on my Apple II (so I can make real game disks). This isn't as easy or nice as having the PC act like a big virtual disk drive, but it allows me to play games that I don't have. Is there a similar program for the C64 (I think there is, but I'm not sure)?

Tempest

Of course, you'll need to connect your computer to the C64's serial port, which usually involves cannibalizing an existing serial cable... Basically, you'll have the same problem with 64hdd as you have with your real disk drive. Without using the serial port, there are very few ways of getting data to the C64 I'm afraid.

The best way I've found of getting programs onto my C64 has been to use Star Commander with a 1541 connected to the PC via an X1541 cable (Actually, the drive I use has been modified with a parallel interface for faster transfers, but that's another story entirely). I find it more authentic using real disks, and then you don't need a slave PC hogging space and a power outlet.

--Zero

For PC emulation of a C64 drive, you should look at 64HDD or 1541emu. To write disks from a PC to a real C64 drive (as mentioned) Star Commander is your best bet.

If you're looking for something with the friendliness, power, flexibility and ease of use of say APE on the 8 bits, for the C64 - you're out of luck :(

This thread and this news item seemed to be a pair. Classic Computer geeks needed to crack crime!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/austria/article/0,,1865500,00.html

I love this quote...

"Officers have been surprised to find that the kidnapper, Wolfgang Priklopil, a communications technician, appeared to have relied exclusively on a Commodore 64."

He relied on it. Like it was his PC of choice. LOL

I'm thinking that if they researched his vast librararies of files they would fine themselves with hours and hours of great gaming experiences.

Bastard gives the rest of us a bad name.

-Ray

64hdd works, but you will need an old computer with DOS. I used a couple of times, didn't like it, and I went back to Star Commander. I build my own XE1541, is super easy.

That is interesting. I have been looking into hooking up one of my 64's to a file server PC I have so I could really get back into some C64 fun and was going to go the 64HDD route.

Are you able to point me in the direction of instructions to build the XE1541 cable for simpletons like me and a good Star Commander download/Instruction page?

64hdd works, but you will need an old computer with DOS. I used a couple of times, didn't like it, and I went back to Star Commander. I build my own XE1541, is super easy.

That is interesting. I have been looking into hooking up one of my 64's to a file server PC I have so I could really get back into some C64 fun and was going to go the 64HDD route.

Are you able to point me in the direction of instructions to build the XE1541 cable for simpletons like me and a good Star Commander download/Instruction page?

yeah, let me check my internet bookmarks in the old computer HD and I post the link. It was a nice website, with pictures and everything. SC will work with Windows 95/98, but it works much better with DOS. I could not make it work with XP.

Link: http://www.geocities.com/vteramos/Paginas/XE1541en.html

Keep in mind that 64HDD does not support any software that uses any kind of fast (or custom) loading routine, as 64HDD does not emulate the 1541s CPU/RAM, etc. :|