IGNORED

Which 2600 games Scared you/ found hard when you were young?

rheffera

The most unnerving thing about playing Star Raiders in a quiet dark room when I was a kid was... losing.

I remember blowing up most of the enemy armada, and getting down to just about 4 or 5 enemies left.

Then suddenly, the whole screen fried, and these sounds that indicated that my ship exploded thundered forth.

Quite creepy!

-John

I used to find the dragons in Adventure kinda creepy. I've yet to play Haunted House, btw -- I never owned it until last week. (And I can't find my !@#% 2600jr!!!!)

I was kind of scared away from trying Space Shuttle -- I remember back in the day my next-door neighbor got it and promptly took it back because it was just too complicated, and he told me the manual was the size of TV Guide. (Obviously, this was circa 1984, when TV Guide was still small...) I eventually did break down and buy it, box and all, at a shop a month or two ago...

To tell you the truth, they all scared me when I was young. I was a wuss as a kid and I hated being alone, especially in me and my brothers room in the basement. The room was nice enough, but I was frigthened of my basement back then (I was 5 or so), so I didn't like being alone in my room at all. However, that was where the VCS was, so anytime I wanted to play it and my brother wasn't there, I had to struggle through being afraid just to play.

Venture used to scare me a bit when I was a kid, but only when that skull thing would come out if you hung around too long.

Not a 2600 game, but Gateway to Apshai for the 8-bits used to scare the piss out of me as a kid because the monsters would seem to pop out of nowhere.

Temoest

I was kind of scared away from trying Space Shuttle -- I remember back in the day my next-door neighbor got it and promptly took it back because it was just too complicated, and he told me the manual was the size of TV Guide. (Obviously, this was circa 1984, when TV Guide was still small...) I eventually did break down and buy it, box and all, at a shop a month or two ago...

Space Shuttle worked pretty well on the 5200. I had fun with that one. Never played it on the 2600.

Personally, The noises that... ...defender made scared the hell out of me

Amen.

...to tell you the truth pitfall creeped me out when i was a kid.

... and amen. Actually all of 'em creeped me out as a kid, probably because of the strange sounds that the 2600 blasted out. But for the record, Pitfall II used to creep me out as a kid too. My brother would fry it and make it do weird things to the TV and make the screen loose its vertical hold. That's really creepy for a kid (like... three years old), who's used to TVs not doing that. I wasn't too much a fan of those scorpions, either. :P

I remember mind master really REALLY getting into my head and giving me the heebie jeebies, I could feel the mind master watching me from above as I scrambled helplessly though his maze... Some of the things in dragon stomper that one hit kill you used to scare me (the second level I found very creepy and HARD same with the dragon,)

Survival Island, man, (I got that game in the day, very luckily, from a catalog, cape in a ziploc bag. :-) ) that game was HARD. The opening part was so hard I gave up on it for years until I came back to it later when my skeelz had hardered (late 80s, early 90s,) and I mastered it. Never could get through the invisible maze on my own... But wow, what a game SI is, amazing stuff for the VCS. SO MUCH to it.

When I was younger, I was scared of loud noises, and some of them really got loud at times. Like Missile Command, Atlantis, and Astroblast.

I have to try Haunted House in the dark sometime. I hope I can find my cartridge. If not, I'll just pick up another one next chance I get.

Edited by LarcenTyler