IGNORED

Speaking of Activision labels...

the 5th ghost

I went and pulled out all of my Activision carts from their boxes and found most of their labels to be Actiplaque free! :cool:

Space Shuttle and Cosmic Commuter appear to be the worst of the lot; a few others are starting to show minor spotting.

Dolphin, Frostbite and Private Eye are not shown because those are still sealed in their boxes. I also decided not to show the black label games like Double Dragon and Rampage because those didn't show signs of Actiplaque anyway .

Not to brag, but I'm pretty proud of my Activision labels! :D

post-2095-1159843665_thumb.jpg

Indeed Ghost, those are some fine labels. I think the only Activision label I have ever seen without Actiplaque was a Plaque Attack cart picture posted by another member here a long time ago. Some Activision labels certainly seem more susceptible to plaque then others. Here is the nicest Frostbite I have ever seen and it's not nearly mint. :(

Frostbitefront.jpg

That is definitely the most nice-looking Activision games i've seen in one place. I have a couple that are really good, but for the most part the ones i find just look gross. I've gotta say, whatever glue/paper combo Activision used here, it's one of the more unfortunate decisions in gaming history. Especially with the huge collector base that the 2600 has spawned, it's sad that most of the games from one of the best developers basically don't exist in nice-looking condition.

True, but those trashy looking Frostbite and Megamania carts you see have repoduction labels just waiting to be printed for them.

Sometimes I'll buy games with torn or faded labels knowing that I can make a half decent replacement. My last two didn't turn out so hot, but I was in too big a hurry with them.

That's why I'm hanging on to a River Raid with a torn label, even though I found one today with better looking garb on it.

I went and pulled out all of my Activision carts from their boxes and found most of their labels to be Actiplaque free! :cool:

Space Shuttle and Cosmic Commuter appear to be the worst of the lot; a few others are starting to show minor spotting.

Dolphin, Frostbite and Private Eye are not shown because those are still sealed in their boxes. I also decided not to show the black label games like Double Dragon and Rampage because those didn't show signs of Actiplaque anyway .

Not to brag, but I'm pretty proud of my Activision labels! :D

Wonderful.

I would love to have scans of all of them.

Would be great to have plaque-less scans in our database.

8)

Activision sure did make the best games, but really crappy labels. My Double Dragon and Rampage games for the 2600 and 7800 are fine, but my copy of Chopper Command is terrible. It's full of spots. Robot Tank is another one, but not spotted as bad.

My Rampage has so much plaque on the end label that they thought it needed a filling and x rays. Well, it ain't that bad, but the stuff is there.

I can see where if the glue soaked through the label, it's possible that some was released onto the plastic of another cart and passed to the next label that cart was stacked on. Who knows, maybe it gets released into the air and collects on that particular kind of paper.

I got a Kaboom in an eBay lot about two years ago that had no Actiplaque whatsoever, yet a few months later it started to appear. I guess it has to do with the enviromental conditions in which the games are stored... Most likely the previous Kaboom owner kept it in a cool, dry place ;-)

I think it comes mainly from finger pressure, warmth, moisture and/or oils, causing the glue to penetrate the paper where originally it only contacted the underneath surface. So by gripping your Activision carts from the sides and keeping your fingers off the labels, they should stay better-looking longer.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I definitely think you should open up your Frostbite Ghost as mine was sealed and it had already started Actiplaquing. If it's in an decent shape scan it, and then throw it into a Ziploc bag with some silicon gel. I find most of Activision's special labels don't plaque as much as the standard Activision labels. It's easy to find nice copies of H.E.R.O. and Beamrider, and your Private Eye should be in near Mint shape if it's still sealed. Dolphin is not that bad to find in fairly good shape, but mine seems to have taken a turn for the worse. :D I am happy with this copy of Chopper Command though.

post-7074-1159944522_thumb.jpg

True, but those trashy looking Frostbite and Megamania carts you see have repoduction labels just waiting to be printed for them.

Sometimes I'll buy games with torn or faded labels knowing that I can make a half decent replacement. My last two didn't turn out so hot, but I was in too big a hurry with them.

That's why I'm hanging on to a River Raid with a torn label, even though I found one today with better looking garb on it.

Please point me in the right direction for these...

• 3 months later...

man....seeing as i'm the biggest activision nut around......i would kill for an acti-plaque free collection.

is that a red pressure cooker......did they release red ones......PAL perhaps?

another activision related collection.....did activision re-release any of their games with black and white manuals...minus the color.

i have a keystone kapers with a black and white manual.......

what other games of theirs did they re-release with b&w manuals?