IGNORED

Recommended Atari Games

Tompkins

Try Astroblast with the paddle controllers if you haven't already. IT adds a twist to the mind numbing shoot-em-up action.

I guess with that game you either like it or hate it. I kinda like it.

Really Astroblast is a hella lot of fun with the paddles. It's then you can rack up some amazing scores. Kudos to the programmer making it compatible with a joystick as well. Very innovative for its time.

Try Astroblast with the paddle controllers if you haven't already. IT adds a twist to the mind numbing shoot-em-up action.

I guess with that game you either like it or hate it. I kinda like it.

Really Astroblast is a hella lot of fun with the paddles. It's then you can rack up some amazing scores. Kudos to the programmer making it compatible with a joystick as well. Very innovative for its time.

I use the the joysticks now for a bigger challenge. The paddles are fast and furious....but you hit that glitch when you score at a certain level.

I started Playing astroblast again. More fun than the first time I played.

What does the glitch do?

this is from the high score club:

QUOTE(SpiceWare @ Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:30 PM)

Ok - there is a glitch around 100K. I imagine it happens around every 100K as I noticed something at 500K.

at 100K I had 33 bases. I purposely killed a few to get my score under 100K. By the time I was back over 100K I had 62 bases!

I did it again and got the bases to 99. They max at 99 - I feel silly now for purposely dieing yesterday the couple times I got in the 90s.

Ok. I had around 20 bases at one point. Next time I looked it was 42; then I THOUGHT I saw it flicker up to 56. Cool. I guess that settles it.

Definitely look into the homebrews. They are all good. My personal favorite... thrust freaking rocks. It has it all... great graphics, great game play & that all important "I can do better this time" factor that keeps you coming back.

I find homebrews too expensive.

yes....bases are lives.

Really homebrews are a bargain if you compare them (inflation adjusted) with how much vcs games were originally....as well as what the state of the art console games are going for.

After collecting cheap commons for a while....you may change your mind.

I believe in supporting the homebrewers....I will be buying more soon.

With all the time and hard work that are put into 2600 homebrews how can you say they are to expensive!?

I don't think Tompkins meant expensive as in, over compensated effort. But expensive as compared to the flea market deals on the old carts.

One thing is for sure, though. The people that put all their effort in programing the new games are not properly compensated. And the quality of the games is far superior to the crap from the old days.

Case in point... Atari Pac-Man vs. Rob Kudla's Pac-Man Arcade. Or even Destructors Pac-Man.

YES! Another plug for Ram It! I love that game, it's pretty nice for a 2600 game. I'll also plug for Coconuts (opposite of Kaboom...you want to avoid getting hit, not catch them!), Defender II/Stargate is a really great one, Vanguard is pretty fun too. Framkenstein's Monster is really fun too, it blends some Pitfall! like mechanics... running, jumping over pits, climbing, avoiding critters. Venture, Adventure... I would also say give some of the homebrew games a shot... Tha's going to be a splure for me in the near future. Pengo is a fun little game, but finding the real cart will be difficult.

I was thinking of picking up Frogger on ebay (Flea market never has it.)

But first, i need to fix my nintedo. (Somebody spilled soda on it).

Well...I'd say the first game (which is IMHO the BEST game on the Atari) to get is:

You guessed it:

PRESSURE COOKER - hours of enjoyment

Berzerk

Seaquest

Fantastic Voyage

Dark Cavern

Fathom

Dragonfire

Stampede (for if you want a REAL challenge)

Robot Tank

Cosmic Commuter