IGNORED

Mattel Hyperscan Review

Lord Thag

I'd like to say "I can't wait!" but I have to. Other projects are happening-- not to mention school and work-- so I can't concentrate on this unfortunately. When I started out, I was al gung-ho about it. But the barriers have been tremendous to developing this thing. I'll be there to buy whatever hardware gets made, and I'll even still pick up cards/games for people when I find them. But I can't afford to hold my breath for new development.

I remember a few months ago, talking to the guy from SunPlus about making a new console using the new chip they were trying to sell me. If I had already been in the console business, I may have taken him up on it.

I'll be excited when new HS hardware comes out, though!

Nathan

well I was going stir crazy in the motel room so I wandered off and picked up a tuesday morning hyperscan, extra controller, and some software/boosters. Ended up about $20

my god it's bad. A shame, since the system itself seems to get a good bit right. Homebrew seems to still be a long way off, and I think homebrew will still have the 'cdrom speed' problem. Great joystick, though.

that my opinion is that everybody "doing" hyperscan homebrew seems to have no homebrew or even programming experience, and is simply begging the manufacturer for information on how to do it. great.

and why do I think this will be one of those systems in my collection where "rare doesn't mean valuable"

Edited by Reaperman

my god it's bad. A shame, since the system itself seems to get a good bit right. Homebrew seems to still be a long way off, and I think homebrew will still have the 'cdrom speed' problem. Great joystick, though.

that my opinion is that everybody "doing" hyperscan homebrew seems to have no homebrew or even programming experience, and is simply begging the manufacturer for information on how to do it. great.

:ponder:

Someone has already wrote an assembler/disassembler for it.

Yeah, right. Like 99.9% of the hardware released these days, the Hyperscan uses an off-the-shelf processor. Assemblers already exist for it. Even if they didn't use a pre-existing assembler, creating assemblers/disassemblers from a data sheet is easy. Call us when a) GCC can target the Hyperscan AND b) there's a set of APIs to manage the hardware.

Yeah, right. Like 99.9% of the hardware released these days, the Hyperscan uses an off-the-shelf processor. Assemblers already exist for it. Even if they didn't use a pre-existing assembler, creating assemblers/disassemblers from a data sheet is easy. Call us when a) GCC can target the Hyperscan AND b) there's a set of APIs to manage the hardware.

Nobody has a datasheet for the processor. Opcodes were figured out by reverse engineering. We do not know if it works right (the author [not me] does not own a hyperscan and 'figured them out' by looking at source code and compairing it with the output code). I have my doubts about this assembler/hyperscan homebrew too, but I am giving it a chance.

I returned the Hyperscan to Tuesday morning. I might wait for the controllers to be on clearance. I exchanged it for a Videonow color. I can give that to my dad with vids of his grand children.

Since when can you make your own VideoNow discs? And How? and Why am I always the last one to learn stuff?

• 3 months later...

I bought one on eBay. I figured the system only had five games. Might as well get them now before they turn into Virtual Boy prices. Spiderman for it is ALREADY going for $40 by itself on eBay!

I'll do a FULL review, the Blaze way, when it arrives. I bought the unit, and two games: IWL and Marvel Heroes. So, I'll be able to review more than one game.

The only ones I'm missing is Ben 10 and Spiderman.

I bought one on eBay. I figured the system only had five games. Might as well get them now before they turn into Virtual Boy prices. Spiderman for it is ALREADY going for $40 by itself on eBay!

I'll do a FULL review, the Blaze way, when it arrives. I bought the unit, and two games: IWL and Marvel Heroes. So, I'll be able to review more than one game.

What site do you review for?

If anyone's interested in acquiring one of these things, there's a small chain of stores around Maine called Mardens that bought up a bunch of these, the two player packs with extra X-men cards and an extra controller, and it's now going for $7.49 new.

I'd buy one and ship for a fellow AA'er......

Thats a great deal, probably would have taken you up on your offer If I hadn't bought a bunch of the single player ones from tuesday morning a while back.

What site do you review for?

Go ahead and laugh, but I do have a blog on MySpace.

My Blog

I haven't updated it in ages, but after playing this POS, I might just do another.