IGNORED

New Coleco handheld with Sega games on it, other games

Flojomojo

I can't beleive they still have it at $50.. damn coleco and making Target it's exclusive retailer in the US.. If their anything like Walmart they won't price match interstore which is a pain in the ass. $50 is asking way too much and I don't see how their making too many sales with that pricing.

Edited by EmOneGarand

I've gone to about three Targets in the last few days trying to find one of these to pull apart, and none of them have any. I just got funny looks from the employees when I asked about a "Coleco Sonic Handheld," and was just directed to the toy aisle, which only contained some Jakks arcade Plug n' Plays and a sea of Hyperscan junk.

I'll try again in a week, otherwise, I'll just go eBay (Which seems to have a few auctions in the $10-$20 range).

By the way, Curt, you are awesome for providing all of this info, thanks a bunch.

I've gone to about three Targets in the last few days trying to find one of these to pull apart, and none of them have any. I just got funny looks from the employees when I asked about a "Coleco Sonic Handheld," and was just directed to the toy aisle, which only contained some Jakks arcade Plug n' Plays and a sea of Hyperscan junk.

I'll try again in a week, otherwise, I'll just go eBay (Which seems to have a few auctions in the $10-$20 range).

By the way, Curt, you are awesome for providing all of this info, thanks a bunch.

I've tried Ebay... most of them are overpricing or the seller has pretty bad feedback ratings (so far) I just ended up ordering the PnP version since I have another hack project in mind. But I havn't had any problem finding them, it's just the price that's turning me away. You could try finding the Canadian version by PlayPal though I doubt the pricing is any better particularly.

Hi there,

Don't know how I miseed this thread back when I was reviewing this unit, but you can find my thoughts on it here:

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/12/review_sega_cla.html

In short, I really liked it. Great screen, terrific quality video output (better than most plug & plays I've seen), and a miser with batteries. My original AAA's are the same as the ones from back when I reviewed this.

I'll also be reviewing the other Coleco offerings in the future. I've played with the wireless ping pong, and while it does work well they seem to have forgotten to program the game to be very fun. Anyone else here have other Coleco stuff?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, Sweaterfish introduced me to this forum. I just picked up one of these for $20 Canadian (about $15 US) at Wal-Mart up here. Fantastic little package. I love it. (I wouldn't love it so much for the $50 US or whatever some of you might have to pay for it at Target).

Anyway, the Canadian version is branded PlayPal:

k132818witbvo1.jpg

k132818gbb3.jpg

The Coloco one looks cooler but this one is about 1/4 the price :)

Anyway, I really love this thing as it's SMS in a chip in an amazing little package. It's like a new gamegear except you can't load any new games onto it which is the only disappointment. The TV out is fantastic and the LCD screen is good too but it has major problems with scaling sometimes with sprites becoming grainy in some games so you can't for instance, see the shots you are firing. Don't like that Sonic Drift 2 is Game Gear scaled so it is even smaller than the fullscreen already.

Nonetheless, this would be amazing if somebody could mod a cartridge port (GG port?) or some way to load games onto it, maybe even flash the rom again or replace it with a flashable rom??? I have some GameGear multicarts, I can't possibly swap chips can I?

Anyway, the game selection is a little bland, maybe that's because I never played these particular games when I was a kid. I wish it had Out-Run, Hang-On, Space Harrier, Machine Gun Joe, G-Loc, Spy vs. Spy, Astro Flash, Woody Pop, Ghostbusters, etc. What an amazing system it would be if we could get these games onto it somehow. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now $19.90 at Fry's. Funny I just saw this thread again ... I don't usually buy at Fry's/Outpost, but I just ordered a Wii from them let alone browse their prices, but today I've seen two interesting things there in one day. Maybe it's a sign that I need another tech source now that CompUSA has left my state.

• 2 months later...

Just picked one up at Target for 24.95. They have moved them to the clearance isle, along with the driving game and the word game, etc.

I live in California, but I'm traveling in New Jersey, at the moment. I ASSUME that the clearance product list is sent down from the corporate office - which would mean it's been officially moved in all locations, but I'm not certain.

Now, at $25 - it's well worth it, just to see how it works!

Now that I've tinkered with one (to the chagrin of my traveling mate - and my BOSS, considering it's a business trip), I'd REALLY like to see a pin out for a possible cartridge slot. It beats the Game Gear screen, and my Nomad screen! Amazing how technology keeps ramping up...

I'd actually hit up my used game store for all their Game Gear games, if I could get it running. I assume not all would work, but what fun it would be to tinker! ;)

Just picked one up at Target for 24.95. They have moved them to the clearance isle, along with the driving game and the word game, etc.

I live in California, but I'm traveling in New Jersey, at the moment. I ASSUME that the clearance product list is sent down from the corporate office - which would mean it's been officially moved in all locations, but I'm not certain.

Now, at $25 - it's well worth it, just to see how it works!

Now that I've tinkered with one (to the chagrin of my traveling mate - and my BOSS, considering it's a business trip), I'd REALLY like to see a pin out for a possible cartridge slot. It beats the Game Gear screen, and my Nomad screen! Amazing how technology keeps ramping up...

I'd actually hit up my used game store for all their Game Gear games, if I could get it running. I assume not all would work, but what fun it would be to tinker! ;)

Somehow, I missed this thread until today. Unfortunately, I never saw these at my local Targets either, and today, there were none to be found. :x

Picked this up for $12.48+tax today.

Do tell where oh where you found it! :)

I got one yesterday clearanced at

target for $12.48+tax as well. A

very interesting little unit. Much

nicer screen than the GameGear.

Well, I've been to 2 of the three local Targets, and nothing. Seems like they are plentiful on ebay, for around $25 shipped..... :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll wait a little while for the price on this one to drop.

Not the 20-in-1 but a local goodwill store has crapload of new Coleco 10-in-1 with LCD for $3.96. Not sure if it's emulator or real but I saw 3 different versions of 10 in 1: Target (shoot up games like space invader clone, xevious clone, etc), sports, and racing. LCD is very good, almost on par with Nintendo portable systems but the game itself looks like a cheaply done JAVA games. The hand held also has headset out and AV out for hookup to TV, and requires 3x AAA batteries (no external power hookup).

The LCD is 2" diagonal and there are 3 epoxy blobs on the board. If I were to hazaard a guess, one is the main CPU, one is the collection of ROMs, and one possibly for LCD interface or something.

The Target unit were all green with brown football shaped decor around LCD. the racing unit were mostly red and black, and I can't remember what sport looked like. I may pick up the racing unit next time I visit the Goodwill store if they have any left.

Game wise, it's probably OK for a 5 year old but not for 30 year old. Hack-ability I don't know yet but it stands to believe there's some way to hack in games. Also it may be possible to hack the unit to act like a 2" TV module for portable system like VCSp

post-11037-1187403929_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1187403942_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1187403959_thumb.jpg

post-11037-1187404184_thumb.jpg