IGNORED

New Coleco handheld with Sega games on it, other games

Flojomojo

I found an interesting story here, and it looks a lot like the shiny black Coleco handheld I got. An SD card slot would have been nice, though.

I googled Sega Handheld and got quite a few hits. One is a joke about the "Hedgehog" hand held game, which actually would have been pretty cool, if it had been real.

This one has me interested. I think I want another, but with all Sega titles on it. No Alex Kidd (third party, I think), or Ecco.

Nathan

/edit I know it's been discussed before, but I missed it: Will someone please tell me the real difference between the Genesis (mega drive) and the Genesis model 2? Is there a reasonable difference???

Edited by nathanallan

Besides physical differences and the addition of some region chip (which I believe the later model 1's had anyway), I do not believe there's any functional differences between the Genny 1 and 2. The only real issue I can think of is the Genny 2 wasn't designed to mate with a model 1 SegaCD. Both Genny models can be used with the SegaCD 2 and 32X.

Regarding the Coleco handheld, I'd love to know the pinouts to add a cart port. The board design, like the Flashback 2, appears to anticipate such a mod. I have a Coleco handheld I'd like to add a cart port as well as integrate a Genesis controller (since I think the D-pad on the Coleco sucks). Anyone know if this information has been released?

I've been really getting into the Sega lately, thanks to this Coleco handheld. Really, I didn't know what I was missing. Kinda glad that Sega decided to license out some of their titles, else I probably would never have played any of them. Like the other day, I got the Sonic Mega Collection for the Cube, and am hunting for more deals (gamecrazy had it for $8) on some of the other Cube titles. I must admit, I'm having fun with Sonic.

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

Went to KB today and got that other game, it's an AtGames, has the same games mostly on it, blue and white cover (front blue rubberized and back white), has Sonic Drift 2, Triple Trouble and Chaos, along with a few other titles-- not really interested in them. Also Super Columns. Nice bright screen like the Coleco/Playpal one. It was labeled $39 but rang up at half price-- woohoo! I took it by my buddies at gamecrazy and they hadn't seen anythign like it before-- and they're supposed to be the experts! Ah well, neat little game.

Nathan

I think I'll wait a little while for the price on this one to drop.

The price has gone down, just got an AtGames one for $21, brand new, blue/white, at KB Toys. Check it in your area. Just to let you know.

Nathan

Unfortunately, the KB Toys in my area closed about five years ago and was replaced with a plus-sized womens clothing store. I'd highly doubt they'd have this system.

• 3 weeks later...
I took comparative pics (got the idea from flojomojo, which was a good one). These little games are cool. I had to get my car worked on today, and it sure did come in handy! These that I have are cool, but I still want the actual one from PlayAsia.
All you need now is a Gameboy Micro.

If fact, if you have a Gameboy Advance (any model will do) and one of THESE you can play any GBA, GBC, NES, SMS, and Gamegear game right on it. :)

sku_10447_1.jpg

Edited by SRGilbert

I took comparative pics (got the idea from flojomojo, which was a good one). These little games are cool. I had to get my car worked on today, and it sure did come in handy! These that I have are cool, but I still want the actual one from PlayAsia.
All you need now is a Gameboy Micro.

If fact, if you have a Gameboy Advance (any model will do) and one of THESE you can play any GBA, GBC, NES, SMS, and Gamegear game right on it. :)

sku_10447_1.jpg

I definitely need one of those. :o I'd love to play Genesis roms on the GBA.

doh! That's cool, cause Dragon Crystal is pretty cool. I'm sure there are some other neat games for the SMS and GG, never had either of those systems. Guess I'll be hunting down a copy of Sonic for the GBA. And saving for a card from dealextreme-- I love tax season. :D

Nathan

...which handheld has a Genesis emulator? PSP, probably, does the DS or F200?

Edited by nathanallan

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a good while now, and I have two small complaints about the AtGames handheld after using it.

1. The screen is not sealed against dust, so now I have specks of dust between the lens and display. Apparently it made its way from the buttons and D-pad.

2. The power switch is very easy to turn on accidentally, so I killed one set of alkalines and have had to charge the NiMh's twice now.

Which begs to be asked: Since several devices use three batteries instead of two, why not make a charger for three batteries instead of sets of two? A topic for another thread, but I had to ask.

Nathan

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hah joke value aside, this thing is kind of a puzzle box from the old original post. I had that Coleco thing, and they just licensed to sell it, and then after them Blaze in Europe and ATgames in the US picked it up and put it in a new piece of plastic with the game game set (I believe it is, been a decade plus) and that one I recall having the solid audio the still sold modern version of it (arcade gamer portable) from atgames does as I picked that up a couple years back.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...