IGNORED

2600 Racing Games

atari2600land

Indy 500 is about the best racing game on the 2600, IMHO. NOt to say the others are bad by a longshot.

Too bad there's not enough demand to make production of new controllers worthwhile. A 4-player homebrew version of Indy 500 would rock even if it just used flicker to get four cars on screen; the 2600 has enough I/O to allow two Indy-style controllers per joyport, but of course the existing controllers aren't wired that way.

Incidentally, another style of controller that would be nice for racing games would be a spring-centered pot, preferable with a mid-scale RC timeout period of about 2 scan lines. With such controls...

ldx #120
lp:
 cpx INPT0
 rol val0
 cpx INPT1
 rol val1
 cpx INPT2
 rol val2
 cpx INPT3
 rol val3
 inx
 bpl lp

would allow readings of nine positions per input, all in four scan lines (or 17 positions each for two inputs). Not fine enough for games like PONG requiring absolute positioning, but could be very nice for a variety of games like Indy 500, or even for something like Space Invaders (allow the player ship to move more quickly from side to side while retaining fine control).

Fatal Run wasn't in the AtariAge database so I had to download a ROM from another site (gasp! ;))

for shame :P

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=2217

That's weird. When I type in "Fatal Run" in the rarity guide I get "no records found."

Fatal Run wasn't in the AtariAge database so I had to download a ROM from another site (gasp! ;))

for shame :P

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=2217

That's weird. When I type in "Fatal Run" in the rarity guide I get "no records found."

change the region to all and you'll find it!Its a pal game which has been coverted to ntsc.

• 14 years later...