IGNORED

Rarity Rating System For all Atari Prototypes?

tenoch

So I was wondering if anybody has put together a Rarity Rating system from like 1-10 for Atari Prototypes. I know they are all rare, but I also know that some are rarer than others. It would be cool to see how one compares to another.

One would have to know a lot about protos to really understand the rating system.

Just a Thought for Monday :P

-h.

IMHO that would be WAY too difficult. The only thing that makes one prototype rarer than another is the amount of them that were made. Unfortunately with prototypes there's no real way of knowing how many of each title were made (except in very specific circumstances where the programmer has said this is a one of a kind). So such a list would be nearly impossible to make.

At one point I was curious as to who owned which titles, but I could never gather enough info to do anything.

Tempest

At videopac.org they also started a list with odyssey2 prototypes. It's a list that needs a lot of work since cart exchange from one to another, and new finded has to be added to. But the best way is just by start making a list with all the atari prototypes that have listed on this site. Still a lot of work, but when this has been don and the list is posted, you will get replys from people telling that they also have a cart, and so you can make a sort of list of the diferent prototype out there. I woundn't link a rarity to it, but you will get a nice view of the prototypes.

At videopac.org they also started a list with odyssey2 prototypes. It's a list that needs a lot of work since cart exchange from one to another, and new finded has to be added to. But the best way is just by start making a list with all the atari prototypes that have listed on this site. Still a lot of work, but when this has been don and the list is posted, you will get replys from people telling that they also have a cart, and so you can make a sort of list of the diferent prototype out there. I woundn't link a rarity to it, but you will get a nice view of the prototypes.

O2 protos eh? I have a Smithereens proto.

Tempest

So I was wondering if anybody has put together a Rarity Rating system from like 1-10 for Atari Prototypes. I know they are all rare, but I also know that some are rarer than others. It would be cool to see how one compares to another.

To be meaningful, such a database would have to contain, at minimum, a checksum or CRC of the ROMs. Even if lab loaners of a particular game are a dime a dozen, if one happens to have a different ROM image than the rest (and it's not just due to bit rot) that could enormously boost its value.

For example, if the damaged Meltdown prototype had precisely matched the other prototype that was discovered in those bytes where it was readable, I don't think there'd be much interest trying to read it out. But since it doesn't match, it may be worth some money to try to get the chip probed.

IMHO that would be WAY too difficult. The only thing that makes one prototype rarer than another is the amount of them that were made. Unfortunately with prototypes there's no real way of knowing how many of each title were made (except in very specific circumstances where the programmer has said this is a one of a kind). So such a list would be nearly impossible to make.

At one point I was curious as to who owned which titles, but I could never gather enough info to do anything.

Tempest

So what your saying is that it would be hard work for some to figure out how many are out there of that one proto.

Someone with sometime could put a list out there of what is known today with a rarity set from 1-10 or whatever, then the rarity would vary when the list gets updated with multiple protos to the database.

It would be cool to see how many of one proto is out there down to a one of a kind.

-h

Thanx Tempest for your information. Is it possible to make a scan or photo of the cart so it can be added to the database?

Yeah I can do it tonight. IIRC it's in a labeless O2 case with a long white sticker that says "Smithereens 10-12-82" or something to that effect.

Tempest

@Tempest

Thx for your help.

Does the label look like something like this? robot%20city.jpg

I think you shoudn't attach a rarity level to a prototype. Since it is near to impossible to make a good list.

I think just a list with the various prototypes would be a good start.

@Tempest

Thx for your help.

Does the label look like something like this? robot%20city.jpg

I think you shoudn't attach a rarity level to a prototype. Since it is near to impossible to make a good list.

I think just a list with the various prototypes would be a good start.

Yeah except I think it's a little longer. I'll have to see when I get home tonight.

Tempest

Here is a simple rarity chart for prototypes.

R10 - undumped

R1 - dumped

I nearly agree. I woud put it like this:

Undumped Unrelased = Higher dollar than an average R10 (As of late this seems to mean mid to high 4 digit numbers)

Dumped Unreleased = Expensive as R9

Undumped Version of Released = Dollar value of a high end R9 or a lesser R10

Dumped Released = $100 to $200 tops (IMHO)

Thats just my 2 cents anyhow.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

After thinking over it i wouldn't go for a r10 for a undumped unrelased proto. The reason is that if there where any new prototypes discovered one could say i woundn't dump the cart so i get a higher value for it.

With the risk of loosing a game forever if something happend to that cart.

Just my thoughts.

R10 - undumped

R1 - dumped

Undumped Unrelased = Higher dollar than an average R10 (As of late this seems to mean mid to high 4 digit numbers)

A dumped unreleased prototype with an official lab loaner label is worth more than your typical rarity 9. Hell a recue terra just sold on e-bay for something like $90. If anyone has any unreleased protos for sale for $90 let me know and I'll buy every single one.

The above typically sells for $200-$1000 depending on the title.

Edited by MattG/Snyper2099

R10 - undumped

R1 - dumped

A dumped unreleased prototype with an official lab loaner label is worth more than your typical rarity 9. Hell a recue terra just sold on e-bay for something like $90. If anyone has any unreleased protos for sale for $90 let me know and I'll buy every single one.

The above typically sells for $200-$1000 depending on the title.

My bad dude, When I said R9 I was thinking in the $300ish dollar range. I keep forgeting that alot of 9's are alot cheaper to get now than aposed to 3 or 4 years ago. Point well taken and agreed also.

• 1 month later...