IGNORED

Right, I've played PS3

liveinabin

Watched ExciteTruck on youtube tonight and it was not anything that made me want to even play it.. looked like a racer but nothing to draw me... I know the controls are the hook for the Wii... I guess I'll have to get a hold on a kiosk and try it.

Motorstorm looks interesting and has my attention. I don't like racers a whole lot but I did REALLY like Smuggler's Run (Feels like I played it only yesterday... sigh) and this looks like the next gen version of it.

Yeah, most of the new stuff is just recycled stuff we've been seeing for years. I haven't been impressed with an FPS since Quake 1. Racing games? Erm... Probably Cruisn' USA. Fighting Games? Virtua Fighter (maybe Tekken 1). Sports games? Now Dreamcast's games were special... Especially NFL2K and Virtua Tennis...

Anyway, yeah, it's the same stuff recycled over and over in prettier packages. This is why we like classic games so much! There's so much more creativity in the classics (and even the homebrews of today.)

Edited by Gregory DG

There's so much more creativity in the classics
Tell that to the fifty million pac man clones, face it games haven't changed since there genesis in that regard. You have a couple of break out creative hits and alot of copy cats.

Oh, I agree, there are a lot of clones in the classic world of video games. But there's a much broader range of games. They were trying new and weird things more often then. Nowadays you mostly see the following 5 genres (with a few exceptions here and there): FPS, driving, fighting, RPG, & sports games.

The dancing/music games seem to be the most recent unique development in many years. But even they are getting stale/rehashed over and over.

Wait, someone is excited about Motorstorm?! It didn't seem all that special to me. The graphics are oh-so-brown and the gameplay seemed like it was pasted together from bits and pieces of other racing games, particularly Burnout with its big explosions. It's not what I'd call a system seller.

I wasn't all that thrilled with NBA 07 either. The graphics are pretty realistic when the ball is in play, but the unskippable intro makes everyone look like a grim-faced robot. Come on people, let's work on getting some emotion and realistic animation in your characters! If Aki could do it in Def Jam: Fight For New York on the Xbox, you can do it on the much more powerful Playstation 3!

JR

I went to the PS3 demo station at Wal-Mart today but the screen was froze up.

"Ohhhh Skunked again!"

That reminds me of last Christmas... I was at Wal-Mart to try out the 360 and it was frozen.

I'm not sure how that pertains to a thread about playing the PS3, but kudos to King_Salamon for keeping the board updated on his memory. Ya still got it. :thumbsup:

They'll get those kinks worked out. I'd hate to drop 1200 on a PS3 off eBay and have it freeze up tho...Ya think they'd have learned after the 360. Test Test TEST!!! Until its right.

Edited by moycon

Nowadays you mostly see the following 5 genres (with a few exceptions here and there): FPS, driving, fighting, RPG, & sports games.

How is that any different than what we had in the 80's? Back then there were only maybe 5 or 6 genres too. The only genres that I really lament the death of is point-and-click adventures and shooters (Raiden & 1942 type shooters I mean, not FPS)... and they're not even really lost, they've just become niche markets, or evolved into different genres entirely.

There are so many games released nowadays that it's easy to look and see 100 similar FPS games without realizing that there is actually FAR more diversity today than there ever was.

--Zero

I played the same unit in Ginza as the OP and came away with the totally opposite impression. I couldn't wait to buy one after playing, and I saw no artifacting whatsoever on the BD playback.

A shot I took just to prove that I was actually there: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/8142/6...00/_MG_3041.jpg

You can see that it's really not all that big either. In person, it doesn't really look much bigger than the PS2 (though I know it is, but it's like the Neo Geo AES - its size is deceptive. It's nicely designed).

I played the same unit in Ginza as the OP and came away with the totally opposite impression. I couldn't wait to buy one after playing, and I saw no artifacting whatsoever on the BD playback.

A shot I took just to prove that I was actually there: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/8142/6...00/_MG_3041.jpg

You can see that it's really not all that big either. In person, it doesn't really look much bigger than the PS2 (though I know it is, but it's like the Neo Geo AES - its size is deceptive. It's nicely designed).

Your link doesn't work, just a FYI.

And I totally agree, since I've seen the quality, right on my desk. One thing people must not forget, the playback depends on the encoding, if the people who encoded it f*cked up, you'll see artifacting. ;)

Well here's a thing! Turns out, nestled in the overcrowded PSP-like menu of the PS3 is an option to install an alternate OS!!

Sony aren't my favourite company right now, but what a genius move.

So all of us who want to run MAME, Z26 or whatever will soon be able to do so (as no doubt someone's gonna have an alternate Linux based emu launcher up before too long) WITHOUT having to resort to hacking away at Sony's security.

This is always what bugged me about having the chipped Xbox, I wanted the flexibility it gave me, I wanted to be able to play all my media and Atari stuff on it, but I was never doing it to pirate Xbox games.

Hate to say it, but nice move Sony. Pity I've boycotted all your stuff. Oh well :)

Well here's a thing! Turns out, nestled in the overcrowded PSP-like menu of the PS3 is an option to install an alternate OS!!

Sony aren't my favourite company right now, but what a genius move.

So all of us who want to run MAME, Z26 or whatever will soon be able to do so (as no doubt someone's gonna have an alternate Linux based emu launcher up before too long) WITHOUT having to resort to hacking away at Sony's security.

This is always what bugged me about having the chipped Xbox, I wanted the flexibility it gave me, I wanted to be able to play all my media and Atari stuff on it, but I was never doing it to pirate Xbox games.

Hate to say it, but nice move Sony. Pity I've boycotted all your stuff. Oh well :)

Alternate OS? Sweet! But I have the same problem you do when it comes to SONY products. ;)

Wait, someone is excited about Motorstorm?! It didn't seem all that special to me. The graphics are oh-so-brown and the gameplay seemed like it was pasted together from bits and pieces of other racing games, particularly Burnout with its big explosions. It's not what I'd call a system seller.

You aren't wrong, but it seems liks a fantastic 20-30 dollar game in a year.

Your link doesn't work, just a FYI.

Worked fine when I tested it earlier, works fine now... on two different browsers.

Are you clicking the link or copying/pasting it? You gotta just click it.

Forbidden

Error 403

It's the other way around. You have to copy the link, open a new window, and paste it in. That prevents the referrer from showing up. Alternatively, you could just look at the attachment. :ponder:

post-8100-1163449931_thumb.jpg

I visited several stores yesterday in Austin (Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys 'R' Us) and none of them had either a Wii or PS3 setup. Most of them had space allocated for the systems, and Target even had some accessories for sale, but that's it. Pretty unusual for stores not to have *any* demo hardware so close to the launch! Of course, there are many more of each of these stores in Austin, so it's possible there are PS3's and Wii's to play *somewhere*.

..Al

I saw a Wii at a local EB Games on Saturday, but that's the only place I've seen one. I saw people playing it and the controllers weren't wired in. So I guess you need to put down a credit card like some people have said.

And forget about seeing a PS3! I wonder when the demo units will be out? Maybe when the next batch is available for sale? No need for Sony to rush, since every unit available for this year seems to be sold already.