IGNORED

Nintendo DS

Pengwin

I just got hold of a Nintendo DS Lite, to give me something to do on long train journeys (at least, that's what I told my wife :D ). I was thinking, wouldn't it make a great platform for A8 emulation?

With the touch screen, you could have a virtual keyboard, complete with OPTION, SELECT and START buttons. And the WiFi would possibly allow transferring of ATR's.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? (not that I could implement it, just thinking, that's all)

I just got hold of a Nintendo DS Lite, to give me something to do on long train journeys (at least, that's what I told my wife :D ). I was thinking, wouldn't it make a great platform for A8 emulation?

With the touch screen, you could have a virtual keyboard, complete with OPTION, SELECT and START buttons. And the WiFi would possibly allow transferring of ATR's.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? (not that I could implement it, just thinking, that's all)

Get a PSP there is an Atari emu for that and it works very well

There are flashcarts that should work wonderfully with the DS platform, given that the sites that sell them boast about emulation using their products. It'd just be a matter of making sure that the emu is compatible, or having the software to write the program in a compatible format (this is usually supplied, I think flashcarts for the GBA would work fine in this instance too). I am totally new to the falsh media stuff...so this is just recycling bits and pieces that I have read.

An emulator for the DS would be *fantastic* - I agree!

I use the PSP emulator all the time and love it (except for the sound that is - much like the PSP VCS emulator, the sound *stinks*). They do a decent job on the PSP with the keyboard, where you use the L and R shoulder buttons as well as the stick in order to let you press keys. A DS emulator would let you play the text adventures though, as typing long sentences using the PSP is too cumbersome for that genre...

I have a Supercard CF (actually two, one up for trade or sell!) and the Nintendo DS is ok for emulation. While the DS exclusive emulators are somewhat lacking at present, the emulators for GBA (Flubba's) are awesome. The MSX emulator is especially nice...was playing good ol' Bruce Lee on it the other day. I would say Atari 8-Bit emulation is definitely possible...if someone were to take on the task of writing the emulator that is.

As for GP2X, I had one for quite some time, but ended up selling it off. THe screen was nice, many emulators, but the cheap joystick just killed it for me. There was a joypad mod in the works however...not sure how that turned out.

Edited by zektor800

• 7 months later...
WOW, what menu is he using in the youtube video?

If your referring to the original DS, i think the screen layout is a liitle too small for running an emulator (reminds me of one of those doubled up/ fold up old stylee nintendo game & watches), at least of a PSP it's a slightly bigger screen (and for the record i own neither portable)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cqjzpEbWZH4

Here is a video of the C64 DS emulator.

I like the lower touchscreen keyboard.

I know that GP32X's emulations are better but there are millions of DS in the world that can run homebrew software with just a cheap flash card like R4.

No one in the world is interested in a DS porting of Atari 800 emulator (very good on GP32X)?

WOW, what menu is he using in the youtube video?

If your referring to the original DS, i think the screen layout is a liitle too small for running an emulator (reminds me of one of those doubled up/ fold up old stylee nintendo game & watches), at least of a PSP it's a slightly bigger screen (and for the record i own neither portable)

It's the menu on the gp2x.

atari 2600, 8bit computers and ST are really good on GP2X, 7800 is getting better, unfortunately I have to agree that whilst the GP2X is an excelent idea, the thumb pad controller thing seriously sucks