IGNORED

Who Are You Anyway, Atari 2600 Fan?

phitter

Been using this name for most online things for years now ,

based it on a character from the Muppet show

(actually from a show within a show on the Muppet ...er show to be exact)

vethosp1.jpg

I'm not actually a Dr , but I am a Bob

I'm probably the only Irish guy on here as well??

Edited by dr_bob

Always a fun ego-boosting kind of thread.

My name is first initial plus last name, which was the Canonical Unix Username Formulation in the early 90s when I started to get online at school. I liked mine though because you could pronounce it, even if people think it has something to do with the middle east thanks to my last name.

Now I usually go by "kirkjerk", which is just a nick I started using on "Death Rally" games at a previous company. Some people think it's a self-fufilling prophecy, but hey. Al once offered to let me switch to kirkjerk here, but whatever.

http://kisrael.com is my personal website.

• 2 weeks later...

My user name came from my not-often looked at website, Atari 2600 Land. It's at www.atari2600land.com, so the URL is easy to remember. I know this is a shameless plug, but, hey, you asked...

Hey, man I actually found your website before I met you at Atari age. :!:

Good site, keep working on your collection. ;)

I've actually been using "basscadet" most everywhere since about the mid-90's, but I've found that most people don't get the reference and will in fact embarrassingly mis-pronounce it, getting neither the reference *nor* the pun (they'll say "bass" as in the fish - like I'm some sort of fish cadet).

So now I usually split between "spacecadet" and "badasscat" depending on the site - both grew out of "basscadet". "badasscat" was actually another misinterpretation one of my friends made of "basscadet" - he was looking for me on AIM and asked me "what are you again? badasscat?" And I liked it better so I started using it. I use "spacecadet" on sites where I'm not sure if they'll accept a username with "badass" as part of the name.

As for "basscadet", it's actually the name of a song by the electronic group Autechre. A little too obscure for most people, I guess.

Edited by spacecadet

I like skunks.

I also like the idea of working on something covertly, with no-one having any idea what's going on until it's finally time to pull back the curtain and astonish the world!

The spelling wasn't actually any attempt to be cool, it's just that skunkworx.org was the only phonetic spelling of "skunk-works" still available in the .net, .org and .com universe that hadn't already been snatched up. So, I snatched it up. The rest is infamy.

13 is my favorite number. It follows me around randomly; I used to see the number every day in a random occurrence.

My original username was Propanelllo, because I just took 2 random objects and stuck them together, propane and jello, and then added an extra L for originality. Eventually, I removed the extra L, and then finally, I shortened the whole thing cuz it was just easier to explain online. No one questions something odd like "Propane", but everybody questions Propanelllo. So, I'm not quite sure how I got to where I am; it has absolutely nothing to do with my likes or dislikes-- just a random thing that sorta stuck.

-John

Wasn't there a french gal named Theresa (or Tes) who wrote a book called "Undo It", which sounds a bit like "un deux huit" in french, or "1 2 8"? That's probably what it means.

Nah, you've got it all wrong. It's the advertising slogan for the new Beowulf Cluster of 16 Atari Jaguar consoles. Didn't you hear the tagline?

"Jaguar 128-byte: Do the Math!"

:P

Wasn't there a french gal named Theresa (or Tes) who wrote a book called "Undo It", which sounds a bit like "un deux huit" in french, or "1 2 8"? That's probably what it means.

Nah, you've got it all wrong. It's the advertising slogan for the new Beowulf Cluster of 16 Atari Jaguar consoles. Didn't you hear the tagline?

"Jaguar 128-byte: Do the Math!"

:P

Hmmm. Kirk might be on to something. I need to get the memory back from those six months of my life - they certainly could have been glorious :lust: . Certainly explains the scars :o

And to think my theory was that it had something to do with my collection of Byte Magazines from 1983 - couldn't be.

Maybe that Route 128 traffic was really bad when I traveled to Bedford to program an obscure program (I'm sure none of you have heard of it, so sorry for the tangent) called "Ms. Pac Man" for GCC - and I said, in a fit of bad punning brought on by gridlock, "128 bytes!". Could have been, if I wasn't in high school at the time.. :?

I better keep thinking. :ponder:

@jbanes - just the thought of Beowulf clusters of Jags is making me :ROTFL: Though that laughter is counteracted by my realization that I am familiar with Beowulf clusters confirms the depth of my geekiness :( ;)

Edited by 128bytes

• 2 months later...