IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

I'm really looking forward to this thing. Unless something terrible happens along the way, I pretty much guarantee I'd buy one! :)

I already have a GP2X with a great port of Stella on it, but I'd still use this :)

--Zero

I bet the control will be better on this than the GP2X :)

this was answered early in the thread. it is a standard USB drive supported by Linux/Mac.

i am so stoked!

So, unless I'm missing something the FB2P won't have a media slot, and only will use internal memory? I'm very glad to see this project moving forward - but that's a drag :(

As long as there is enought internal storage, it shouldn't be an issue. You can store alot of 2600 roms in very little space :)

I don't think the 2nd revision GP2X's controller is that bad. The best I've ever used though is the Neo-Geo Pocket Color's thumbstick, which I've been trying to get Curt to see for some time now. I would've loved to have used a version of that on the portable.

I don't think the 2nd revision GP2X's controller is that bad. The best I've ever used though is the Neo-Geo Pocket Color's thumbstick, which I've been trying to get Curt to see for some time now. I would've loved to have used a version of that on the portable.

I have to agree with that. The Neo Geo Pocket Color's thumb controller is the best on any portable I've ever used. It's a shame Nintendo or Sony never moved to copy its feel and function.

Really? I had a MK2 GP2X and thought the controller sucked, Pac-man emulated on anything was pretty much unplayable.

Just my opinion tho, dont flame me, I loved what it could do, just could not get on with the controller issues myself.

Thinking from an accessibility stand point - it would be great if there was a way for an external controller to be connected for player one.

The prototype showed two D9 old-style Atari joystick ports and a USB socket. The spy shot makes it look as though there'll only be a player 2 socket which would be a shame.

I realise the market might not be huge - but to add a player one joystick input (either via a D9 or USB socket) could open up all kinds of controllers being used by disabled gamers.

http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/1/retro.htm

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

Barrie

www.OneSwitch.org.uk

Colecovision flashback

When's that one coming out? Other than the Atari ones, it's the one I've been waiting for!

I just heard someone mention that they wanted one, too, not that it's coming out. But see, you knew exactly what kind of thing I was talking about. Now it's culture, the "flashback" retro console.

I realise the market might not be huge - but to add a player one joystick input (either via a D9 or USB socket) could open up all kinds of controllers being used by disabled gamers.

This hadn't even occurred to me, and you're right, that's a whole audience of people. Be it small, still an audience. And all kinds of custom controllers. I know I want one for Star Raiders.

Nathan

As long as there is enought internal storage, it shouldn't be an issue. You can store alot of 2600 roms in very little space :)

If there was enough to store the entire 2600 library I would agree, but it appears there isn't. My 2600 game choice is very spur of the moment, so it's not like I'm going to say 'well I'll be sure to take Pitfall because I can't store them all and I might want to play it' when I take the device out with me.

I don't find the GP2X that bad either - though I definitely agree that the NGP control is hands down the best. :cool:

Colecovision flashback

When's that one coming out? Other than the Atari ones, it's the one I've been waiting for!

Is this what you mean?: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywor...leco&page=1

Actually no, from what I remember, the company who licensed the name Coleco was making all these crap games to try and get enough capital to make the ColecoVision PnP system. No word lately on progress, but didn't they make a handheld Genesis portable?

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. One of my favorite coinop games is Rastan and that requires really precise diagonals. It's really unplayable on the GP2X controller. Also, the deadzone in the center makes it really hard to play games that require quick shifting between up and down or left and right (which any twitch game requires).

I they had only done the controller right, the GP2X would have been the ultimate. I know you can use the USB breakout box but then it's hardly portable anymore.

Another question about the flashback portable that i cant seem to find an answer for. Will paddles work with it?

It's based on the Flashback 2 hardware, which correctly accepts paddles. So the answer is almost certainly a "yes".

IIRC the GBA SP is actually front-lit. It has a special white LCD strip mounted on one of the front edges, and this throws off enough light to light up the screen reasonably well.

The newest SPs in graphite, pearl blue, or pearl pink colors have a superior back-lit screen. The brightness button actually chooses between two brightness levels, instead of just turning the lighting off like the old SP.

Edited by antron

The newest SPs in graphite, pearl blue, or pearl pink colors have a superior back-lit screen.
Well, you learn something new everyday: I would have thought that Nintendo had dropped production of the SPs by now. Edited by ls650

I love portable gaming systems.

I've got so many systems that i love for different reasons.

but honestly, this is the first one that i've been excited about in a long time.

it's everything from all the best portable game systems.

fully self contained, huge interchangeable library, small, backlit, av out, great design, long battery life.

it's like this thing was made just for me.

no unnecessary features, it's not a phone, it dosen't play mp3s, it's not a personal organizer, it dosen't have a horoscope.

just a pocket sized game system with one of the largest game librarys in the world.

if it gets cancelled, i will cry.

cry like a little girl.

One of my favorite coinop games is Rastan and that requires really precise diagonals. It's really unplayable on the GP2X controller. Also, the deadzone in the center makes it really hard to play games that require quick shifting between up and down or left and right (which any twitch game requires).

I they had only done the controller right, the GP2X would have been the ultimate. I know you can use the USB breakout box but then it's hardly portable anymore.

I would have rather they just used a D-pad instead, but I don't mind the controller that much. I haven't found anything yet that is rendered unplayable by it, and I'm using the original model.

--Zero