IGNORED

too many surge protectors?

PressureCooker2600

how many of these do yall have hooked up? since I use one t.v. for all my systems...i have three different surge protectors hooked up with like around 16 or 17 adaptors and plugs hooked in. i also have like 4 RF switches and 1 switchbox screwed into the back of my T.V. I'm guessing thats why my Sega Master System gets a kinda staticy signal. the only thing that sucks is i have to get up and flip the switchbox to play my 7800. can you say fire hazard :D

on another note, my sisters boyfriend gave me two genesis games a while back. i already had x-men but i took it anyway but i also got captain america and the avengers.(i love that game). when i started to clean the captain america....all kinds of brown shit kept comin out....even after 20 swabs it kept comin and comin....i figured it was tobacco stains....but her boyfriend said he got them from a heavy weed smoker so i guess it was weed stains. after 30 more swabbings i finally got the game to work, but it froze 5 minutes into the game. i swabbed it and swabbed it again and the same thing happened...back to swabbin. this time the game didnt boot up period. i keep swabbing it but the game never boots up except for that one time. my genesis is perfectly fine and clean so im wondering if i somehow ruined it by swabbing out all the stains constantly...cause it did work for me a little but then froze and now it wont work period :sad:

I have 13 systems, a DVD player, and a VCR all hooked up to the same tv. I think there are three surge protectors back there at this point, one of which is some sort of huge, adapter-loving surge protector. Personally, i think you can never have too many of something with the word "protector" in it. More is better, right?

Yeah I have two 6 outlet adaptors for all my systems.

I don't chain them together either

One thing I always wanted to know is, If you have 12 things coming out of the same outlet, or even say 24 if you daisy chain, is it really a fire hazard if they're not all turned on at once?

Just one TV and the Atari turned on despite 22 things turned off shouldn't cause a problem right? Those other things aren't drawing a current when they're turned off right?

Yeah I have two 6 outlet adaptors for all my systems.

I don't chain them together either

One thing I always wanted to know is, If you have 12 things coming out of the same outlet, or even say 24 if you daisy chain, is it really a fire hazard if they're not all turned on at once?

Just one TV and the Atari turned on despite 22 things turned off shouldn't cause a problem right? Those other things aren't drawing a current when they're turned off right?

thats what i thought too...anyone else got an idea?

plus anyone know about that captain america cart i mentioned in the 1st post :?:

Well if the TV & system (and/or VCR) are plugged into the same outlet strip, that's a fire hazard right there. They're not meant to handle that much power. The switchboxes are for A/V input to the TV, so those aren't drawing too much current at all (if they were THEN you'd have a problem!).

Uhh... What kind of TV and system are you thinking of there? :?

AV switchboxes draw no current (most) or very little (good ones that are electronic and powered seperately).

Actually, newer consoles do draw a tiny bit of power by just being plugged in. Older consoles do, too, but that occurs in the power brick. It's not enough power to cause a hazard, but it can increase your electric usage by ten percent if you've got a shelf full of systems.

I've got nine outlets available behind my gameing setup. Five are in a strip, which has a three outlet ripcord plugged into it. that's eight, and the ninth is the second outlet on the wall socket. I usually plug power bricks into the wall socket and ripcord, but I'm thinking of plugging the DVD player in there so I can shut off the power strip every day when I'm not playing games and save that tiny bit of energy.

My Saturn, DC, and PS2 all share the same A/V connection. The Saturn has its own power line to hold the internal memory, though I could transfer that all to the memory card or (gasp) put a new battery in there.

The NES and the 7800 are plugged into the ripcord, along with something else--probably the N64 or something. They've both got those enormous bricks, so into the ripcord they go. The C-1701 montior and the sound system are plugged into the strip, and my Driving Force is usually plugged directly into the wall.

Two of my computers have power strips that are full, and the third has a pair of triple outlet thingys which have roughly the same effect. One computer keeps its power connections all the time, the second has a printer and a sound mixer that I have to swap plugs on, and the third shares it power with my soldering tools when I'm doing a project.

Finally there are my musical instruments, which use a ripcord that's plugged into the wall. The organ is not plugged in, as I haven't fixed it yet.

Aside from that, I've got appliances and a few battery chargers. When I gotta charge the portables, they usually charge either near the microwaves or in the bathroom.

I know. I'm a power hog. I admit it. If I ever build a house, its power system will look like it belongs in an arcade.

Many of my devices stay shut off, so I'm not worried about overdrawing the power lines. If I do, it'll trip the breaker.

I too had a bunch of surge protectors hooked-up for all my games. I had my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, GameCube, PS2, and XBox 360 all plugged to an intricate network of surge protectors. I tried to keep the surge protectors switched off at all times (unless I was playing), but I realized that it could and probably was a fire hazard and I didn't want any precious systems getting fried, or my house for that matter.

More is not better. While it is nice to have multiple places to plug in, daisy chained power strips isn't really legal. If you have plugged both wall outlets and still need more power strips, get an electrician to install more outlets.

Which reminds me, I need someone to take a look at my bedroom. Only 1 outlet in this corner of the room to power a TV, VCR, DVD player, a dozen game consoles, 2 printers, 2 USB hubs, 5 port ethernet hub, 1 wireless ethernet hub/DSL modem, scanner, 2 monitors, 3 computers, EPROM burner, EPROM eraser, and a fan. 1.gif oh yeah and a caddy for my rechargeable wireless mouse.

I never said i daisy-chained my surge protectors, just for the record. Yes, i have three behind my tv. BUT, there are two wall outlets back there, my tv is in a corner and there are outlets on each adjacent wall. One outlet gets two surge protectors, another outlet gets one protector and an extra power brick that wouldn't fit anywhere else. Getting an electrician to install extra outlets into an apartment isn't really a viable idea. :(

When we move at the end of this year, my wife and i are hoping to get a third bedroom (our second now is a toyroom) to set up as a game room, so i can move the classic systems in there and keep their respective surge protector turned off when not in use. I don't want to turn off my surge protectors now because everything is kinda mixed up and i don't want to have to continually reset the clocks on my newer systems.