IGNORED

Wii camping

Where I live it is 32 degrees right now. I just drove by my local Wal-Mart and there already are more than 30 people camping out for the Wii. I would say that the average age of the campers was about 18 years old. I was thinking that I probably could go up tomorrow night and get in line about an hour before it went on sale to get one but now I have my doubts. This Wal-Mart is supposed to have 60 Wii's but with half gone already it isn't looking good.

I don't think the Wii will be as difficult to get as the PS3. Well, I believe there is more of a demand for the Wii, but there will be many more of them available. I have a feeling Nintendo will be able to pump them out much faster than the PS3 so even if you can't get one on launch day, I don't think it'll be difficult to get one soon after that. Of course, I could be very wrong and interest in the Wii may surge if initial end-user reviews are mostly positive. :)

Hopefully we don't see the same stupidity repeated for the Wii launch that has been demonstrated repeatedly across the country for the PS3 launch.

..Al

I don't think the Wii will be as difficult to get as the PS3. Well, I believe there is more of a demand for the Wii, but there will be many more of them available.

That's pretty much a foregone conclusion. With over a million available at the North American launch, and 4 million available worldwide by the end of 2006 (supposedly with "the majority headed for North America"), Nintendo will manage to provide the market with approximately 18% of the number of units that the Gamecube sold in its entire lifetime. That's a lot of consoles to start out with!

In comparison, the PS3 launched with somewhere between 150,000 and 400,000 (depending on who you believe) units for the North American market. Sony has promised a whopping (*yawn*) 1.2 million units worldwide by the end of 2006. Analysts predict that only 750,000 PS3s will make it to North America by the end of the year. Which means that if projections are met, Nintendo will have well over 3 times the number of consoles that Sony will. And when I say "if projections are met", I mean that the news out of Nintendo is that they may exceed projections (they've already exceeded the launch projections, supposedly by as much as 200,000 units), while the news out of Sony is that the projections are "more of a target".

I sincerely doubt that the Wii will have anything more than the most mild supply problems. If I'm wrong, then Nintendo will have an unprecidented problem on their hands. Which would be a sure sign that the Wii would be destined to break the >100 million unit record set by the PS2.

It would seem that the decision to use less than bleeding-edge technology does have some benefits. :)

Edited by jbanes

Although Gamespot hates Nintendo, their 5.5 score for Red Steel is disturbing. I'm looking at wanting a 7.0 at least from IGN or I don't even know if I'm gonna get the console. Zelda will be great, sure, but Excite Truck and Red Steel were also on my list and they aren't coming into what I thought they were. Metal Slug Anthology I also wanted and can expect a solid 7-8 on that game. It's hard to go 8 months with these 4 games as the ones I want and then come the day before launch one of them gets blasted and the other is pretty short. Then there's a game like Rayman which I know nothing about, as well as Super Monkey Ball, that seem to be stealing the show. I've got no clue what I should do. And worst of all, I only have 24 hours to decide.

Sure, I would still want a Wii eventually, but a price drop would be nice if the launch games I think I'll like are ranked as low as they have been. Like I said it's not the fact that the games are getting bad reviews, IGN averages 8.05 so far per Wii game, that's not bad. It's just as I said, I'm now completely lost as to which games to get. Not much of a renter, but maybe that's the route I should go with the Wii?

Although Gamespot hates Nintendo, their 5.5 score for Red Steel is disturbing. I'm looking at wanting a 7.0 at least from IGN or I don't even know if I'm gonna get the console.

Red Steel got terrible previews at E3. And when the previews for a game are bad, you know it's got problems.

I would never have expected this game to be good.

Zelda will be great, sure, but Excite Truck and Red Steel were also on my list and they aren't coming into what I thought they were. Metal Slug Anthology I also wanted and can expect a solid 7-8 on that game.

I think the Wii's going to be like every other Nintendo console; the first-party games will be really good, if those are the kinds of games you're into, but there's not going to be a whole lot much else. I mean a lot of developers have pledged support for the Wii, but then they did the same for the GameCube initially and I don't see a hell of a lot of real A-list games coming for the Wii outside of Nintendo themselves.

I think the Metal Slug anthology is also available for Xbox 360, isn't it?

The review of Red Steel makes it sound like it has exactly as much suck as I was expecting.

The commercials even look terrible. What the heck is it with 3rd party GC/Wii games that makes them suck hard? I'll get a Wii eventually, but I'm still not sold on the launch titles. The only reason I can think to get one now is for Zelda, but since I'm smack dab in the middle of FF XII right now, even that isn't enough.

Tempest

Went to one of the local Best Buys here - no campers. They have a little sign at the entrance saying they will have 110 Wii consoles for sale tomorrow.

Holy cow, 110 Wii consoles! Not bad. I wonder how many the local Best Buys here in Austin will have. I need to go out in a bit and run some errands and I'll drive by a few stores to see if there's anyone camped out there.

The review of Red Steel makes it sound like it has exactly as much suck as I was expecting.

Yeah, I just want to play the new Zelda, that's all. :)

..Al

Red Steel defies 2 of Nintendo's main boasts about the wii.

1 - Cheaper to develop for. Red Steel almost $13 million, not a next gen game and not on a next gen system. Gears Of War $10 million, on a next gen system and a next gen game.

2. - Innovative games that cannot be found elsewhere. RS is a run of the mill FPS game with some swordplay throw in because they can. The 360 already has a few vanilla FPS games.

Holy cow, 110 Wii consoles! Not bad. I wonder how many the local Best Buys here in Austin will have. I need to go out in a bit and run some errands and I'll drive by a few stores to see if there's anyone camped out there.

Yeah, I may drive over there when they open tomorrow to see whats going on, and possibly pick one up if there isn't a mob scene.

I was at a Circuit City today - doing some info gathering for my Black Friday computer purchase - and they had a sign up saying they'd have 12 Wiis.

Someone told me a line was already forming on the side of the building, but when I left and looked, all I saw were two empty chairs. <shrug>

I just drove by a Circuit City and a Best Buy. The Circuit City had a sign, "Wii Line Starts Here" noting that they'd have 20 Wii's for tomorrow. There was nobody in line. This was the same Circuit City that I saw people camping outside of for the PS3 a few days ago. I didn't see any signage at the Bet Buy about the Wii, and nobody waiting there either (although this store was only letting people wait in line four hours before they open)

I'm rather curious how busy the various Wal-Marts will be tonight at midnight. There are quite a few here in Austin that are open 24 hours.

..Al

I just came back from the local Best Buy. There are a lot of people milling about waiting for the Wii, but no lines yet. Apparently, the store is getting about 70 units so no one seems too worried. They don't have their kiosks setup yet (the rep said they were supposed to have them up already, but don't for some unknown reason :x), but they do have games, accessories, and just about everything else "Wii" on sale. I even snagged a free Wii Launch Magazine with coupons!

The word going around is that there's already a huge line over at Walmart, though I didn't catch why. (Fewer systems maybe? :?) I don't remember who was asking about it before, but the USB Wifi connector for the Nintendo DS has been rebranded for the Wii. The packaging states "for the Wii and the Nintendo DS." So it seems that Nintendo has got their ducks in a row on Wii/DS hardware overlap compatibility. :)

Oddly, I didn't see a single PS3 game while I was there. I wonder where they all went? Did they all sell out? :?

Best Buy also had bunches of PS2 systems and bundles in stock. They had 360s as well, but they were stacked in a way that suggested that Best Buy wasn't expecting to sell very many of them. In fact, their 360 section isn't all that great, with a LOT more shelf space being dedicated to the PS2 and Nintendo Systems.

I just came back from the local Best Buy. There are a lot of people milling about waiting for the Wii, but no lines yet. Apparently, the store is getting about 70 units so no one seems too worried. They don't have their kiosks setup yet (the rep said they were supposed to have them up already, but don't for some unknown reason :x)

Yeah, the BB I was at didn't have any kiosks or floor displays or anything out for the Wii yet.

Edited by remowilliams