IGNORED

ZX Spectrum: First Time For Everything.

Atariboy2600

Yup. I bought one in 1983 with a load of saved-up change in a shoebox.

The rubber keyboard was actually quite good fo playing games, once you got used to it, although the membranes used to wear out quite quickly if you played a lot of "Daley Thompson's Decathlon" or similar games.

Check out World of Spectrum!

Today I just got a box of the ZX Spectrum 48K for the first time in my life with 25 games from Bruce Lee to Bubble Bobble but I live in the US and cant play PAL games so any info of these this unit? DO anyone here live in the UK and has seen or play this computer?

The Spectrum was a hugely popular computer in the UK and much of Europe, especially the Latin countries. It also was a big hit unofficially in Eastern Europe as well as South America. Between 1982 and 1986 it was, alongside the Commodore 64, one of the two most important gaming machines in the world, and responsible for the development of the isometric 3D game in an arcade adventure setting. It was technically inferior to the Commodore 64, but its lack of game-specific hardware probably helped it to innovate the way that it did during those four years. From 1988 onwards, it went into decline as 16-bit gaming began to take over, but still produced classics till the end of the decade. Essential.

I just love the Spectrum. I had one back in the day and I have two now.

SteveW is right, Skool Daze (and it's sequel) are superb games, actually rather like the recently released Rockstar game 'Bully'.

I'm afraid the other games you have there are generally pretty crap.

As for power, the spectrum takes 9v DC. You should be able to find a plug to fit with one of those universal power adaptor things.

As for video, that'll be a lot trickier on a US TV. No ideas as yet, I'll think on that.

It outputs to a standard PAL tv aerial plug.

When you DO get it running, I can recommend some killer games:-

For starters, the Spectrum is home to the work of 'Ultimate' software, who later became Rare. Some of their best ever stuff was on the Spectrum.

If you like unforgivingly tough platform gaming, Manic Miner and it's sequel, Jetset Willy (see my avatar) are definitely worth a look, if only to see how comparitively easy games are now.

As you'd expect from a computer of this age, there are tons of text adventures too - the Hobbit was great.

In the meantime, there are a lot of great Spectrum emulators out there (it was one of the first systems to be emulated) and you can download the games at World of Spectrum (except for Ultimate's stuff, but I have all that).

Edited by liveinabin

I just love the Spectrum. I had one back in the day and I have two now.

SteveW is right, Skool Daze (and it's sequel) are superb games, actually rather like the recently released Rockstar game 'Bully'.

I'm afraid the other games you have there are generally pretty crap.

As for power, the spectrum takes 9v DC. You should be able to find a plug to fit with one of those universal power adaptor things.

As for video, that'll be a lot trickier on a US TV. No ideas as yet, I'll think on that.

It outputs to a standard PAL tv aerial plug.

When you DO get it running, I can recommend some killer games:-

For starters, the Spectrum is home to the work of 'Ultimate' software, who later became Rare. Some of their best ever stuff was on the Spectrum.

If you like unforgivingly tough platform gaming, Manic Miner and it's sequel, Jetset Willy (see my avatar) are definitely worth a look, if only to see how comparitively easy games are now.

As you'd expect from a computer of this age, there are tons of text adventures too - the Hobbit was great.

In the meantime, there are a lot of great Spectrum emulators out there (it was one of the first systems to be emulated) and you can download the games at World of Spectrum (except for Ultimate's stuff, but I have all that).

Cool heres the list of games I have so far.

The four tape games I see I love already are:

Bruce Lee.

Bubble Bobble.

Wonder Boy.

Commando.

The others I never seen before are:

Seymour goes to Hollywood.

Slightly Magic.

Tarzzan goes Ape.

CJ in the USA.

CJ's Elephantantics.

World Games, Streaker.

Wolfan,Passing Shot.

Little Puff in Dragonland.

Thouth the Trap Door.

Skool Daze.

Back to Sckool.

Fighting Warrior.

Rapid Fire.

Andy Capp.

Down to Earth.

Codebook Caper.

BMX Racers.

Action Biker Clumsy.

Jason's Gam.

More are coming to me soon^_^

I agree with liveinabin - Manic Miner is a great game, still one of my favourites. The author, Matthew Smith, admitted that he was more than a little "inspired" by Bill Hogue's Miner 2049er for the Atari, but it stands up as a classic in it's own right. The 19th screen, "Solar Power Generator", is the most difficult, but, as with many of the other screens, it rewards practice.

The Spectrum had many limitations compared to the Atari computers. Although it had 256x192 resolution, it's colour capabilities were limited to only 2 from a palette of 16 in each 8x8 pixel character square. It had no hardware sprites, and the sound was pitiful, produced by a tiny internal speaker, not unlike the original PC speaker. Despite all of this, many remarkable and innovative games were produced for the Spectrum.

The Hobbit is a pretty decent example of early text-and graphics adventures, with a parser that was very good for the time.

Lords of Midnight was a pretty absorbing game in the fantasy/adventure genre too, and I really liked Dynamite Dan II: Dr. Blitzen and the Islands of Arcanum, which was a scrolling platformer.

Hmm, I'm looking into getting myself a Speccy +2 for an early Christmas present (as I have Pitfall II, Bubble Bobble, Pac-Mania, Werewolf Simulator, Marble Madness Deluxe, Starquake, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Pole Position, and a few others). How difficult or expensive would it be to make or buy an RGB cable for a +2 or +3 Spectrum, and would it be worth it to build a wire-switch adapter to use regular Atari joysticks on the Spectrum interface joystick ports? *tries to figure a way to re-work a couple of Competition Pro sticks that he has with a strange NES connector back to an Atari style connector*

The Spectrum was brought over to the US as the Timex Sinclair 2068. Unfortunately, for some reason that I can't even begin to speculate on, Timex made the 2068 incompatible with the Spectrum. The US home computer market was more mature than the market in the UK, and a somewhat graphically limited machine like the Spectrum would have it's work cut out for it in comparison to the machines that were already on the shelves. They had to do a bonehead stunt and make the 2068 pretty much not run any Spectrum software unless you bought a special cartridge that is essentially a Spectrum ROM. Then you could run something like ninety-something percent of the Speccy's software library. Without compatibility right out of the box, they doomed the 2068 to total obscurity. And I have no idea why. They could have had a big library of programs right out of the gate, with everything the average home user could need, and they blew it. It boggles the mind.

Oh I just got more games on late Sat with 140 some games.

A VIEW TO A KILL

ANGLE BALL

ACTION FORCE

AVENGER

ADVANCED SOCCER SIM

AGENT ORANGE

ASTERIX & THE MAGIC CAULDRON

BLADE WARRIOR

BALLBLAZER

BRAINACHE

BARBARIAN II

BARBARIAN

CONFUZION

CHRONOS

CANYON WARRIOR

CHUCKIE EGG II

COLONY

COLLISION COURSE

CONQUESTADOR

CLUEDO

DAN DARE

DALEY THOMPSON'S SUPERTEST

DUN DARACH

DRAGON NINJA

ELEVATOR ACTION

EL CID

FRIDAY THE 13TH

FORMULA 1 SIM

FANTASTIC FOUR (4 GAMES)

FAMOUS FIVE (5 GAMES)

GLADIATOR

GRANGE HILL

GRAND PRIX TENNIS

GEMINI WING

GREGORY LOSES HIS CLOCK

GHOSTBUSTERS II

HEAVY ON THE MAGICK

HYPERBOWL

IK+

INTERNATIONAL RUGBY SIM

JONAH BARRINGTON'S SQUASH

KOBYASHI NARU

KAT TRAP

KNUCKLEBUSTERS

KIKSTART 2

KWAH

LAZER WHEEL

LAS VEGAS VIDEO POKER

LAP OF THE GODS

LICENCE TO KILL

LEVEL 5

LAST DUEL

LEARNING WITH LEAPER

MILK RACE

McKENZIE

MISSION OMEGA

MIND TRAP

MICRO MOUSE

MASTER CHESS

MARBLE MADNESS

MIND STRETCHERS (3 GAMES)

NINJA

NINJA MASSACRE

NINJA WARRIORS

NETHER EARTH

ORBIX

OMEGA ONE

OBLITERATOR

PANTHER

PIPPO

PI R2

PULSE WARRIOR

PRO SKI SIM

RUGBY MANAGER

RAW RECRUIT

ROCKFORD

RASTER-RUNNER

ROGUE

RESCUE ON FRACTALUS

REBEL

REVEAL

ROUNDHEADS

ROADWARS

STORMBRINGER

SHINOBI

SHARD OF INOVAR

SUPER STUNTMAN

SPLIT PERSONALITIES

SWEEVO'S WORLD

SUPER HERO

SOLOMON'S KEY

STAR WARS DROIDS

SAMURAI TRILOGY

SPEEDBOAT ASSASSINS

SAILING

S.A.S COMBAT SIM

S.O.S

SPEEDZONE

STARFARCE

SILKWORM

STARQUAKE

TROLL

THE SECRET OF LEVITATION

TAU CETI

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT

TERRA COGNITA

TERRAMEX

THE TUBE

THE EIDOLON

THE GAMES WINTER EDITION

THRONE OF FIRE

THE MYSTERY OF ARKHAM MANOR

TERRORPODS

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

U.C.M

VOIDRUNNER

VECTORBALL

VAMPIRE

WILLIAM WOBBLER

WORLD CUP SOCCER ITALIA 90

XENO

XCEL

XENON

YABBA DABBA DOO

3D PINBALL

5TH QUADRANT

Man what a way to start on the Spectrum collection :lust:

post-5587-1163984406_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just gopt these two in the mail a Amiga CD32 with some CD games like Superfrog and a Amstrad GX4000 with one bundle game Burnning Rubber. Now I really need to finr a TV set that can play PAL systems! :D

OMG, you are one lucky, lucky, lucky bastard :D

Great hauls, I suppose you got the CD32 and GX4000 for a bargain price?

As opposed to what seems to be happening in the UK and USA, prices are going through the roof on eBay Oz and it is almost impossible to score things like the CD32 for anything less than AUD$100!

BTW the last package I got with the games also came with a used book he gave me call The Encyclopedia of Game.Machines. This book presents almost every game computer and console ever created from Japan, USA, and Europe. From Pong to Xbox and many UK units I never seen before :lust:

gamemachinesqa5.jpg

Heres some of the pages in PDF

Contents

Sinclair Spectrum chapter, first and second page

Atari ST chapter, first and second page

NEC PC-Engine chapter, first and second page

Hardware and games indexes

Just gopt these two in the mail a Amiga CD32 with some CD games like Superfrog and a Amstrad GX4000 with one bundle game Burnning Rubber. Now I really need to finr a TV set that can play PAL systems! :D

As opposed to what seems to be happening in the UK and USA, prices are going through the roof on eBay Oz and it is almost impossible to score things like the CD32 for anything less than AUD$100!

Yea the bargain price wasl Free cuase he send them just in time for my birthday on Thanksgiving day :cool:

Yea the bargain price wasl Free cuase he send them just in time for my birthday on Thanksgiving day :cool:

And you only rubbed it in further with the book; I paid over AUD$40 for mine as I had to import it from the UK.

Oh, the envy, the envy!!!!!